Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
is250
AF Newbie

Re: sanding primer

thanks to all for their input. I did end up sanding to a 3200 grit of tamiya primer layer. waiting to spray it with TS cans. will post some pics. thanks again.
is250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
John18d
AF Enthusiast

is250 - hope you didn't get to confused with the conflicting replies - each one of us in my opinion has different techniques, skills, equipment, and materials (primer/paint/clear) - so I fully understand the varying opinions you received. Learn from what you have and how you use it and you'll develop your own system - I look forward to seeing some of your work in the near future - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
SmokeyR67
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
is250 - there are two purposes for primer and there are two types - one primer surfacer is used to cover "putty's" and fill small imperfections and blend in the work smooth - the second is primer sealer which seals the surface below the primer chemically so that the paint coats do not react chemically with anything below the primer sealer and to act as an adhesion promoter for paint to "bite" in to. With the (1:1) automotive world primer surfacer is sanded smooth and blended "feather edged" on any work or putty. Primer sealer is not sanded. If you are going to clear coat you paint then do not try to make it any smoother than 1000-1500 it is not necessary. Remember to apply thin coats of the paint to avoid "orange peal" effect the clear can be wet sanded and smoothed to bring out a smooth and shiny finish - hope this helps you some - John
I have a third reason to use primer, and thats to create a unified base colour when using different materials (i.e. styrene, resin, pe)
SmokeyR67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #19
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by is250 View Post
thanks to all for their input. I did end up sanding to a 3200 grit of tamiya primer layer. waiting to spray it with TS cans. will post some pics. thanks again.
is250 - do you use primer for modeling? :mr. hobby or tamiya" primers? They are much better products for using on models than "car" 1:1 spray bomb" can primers, unless you enjoy spending all that time to prepare the primer for paint. If you need to fill large imperfections there is "mr. Hobby" surfacer 500 which fills imperfections, sand and then "1000" or "1200" to use under the paint that requires less preparation. SmokyR67 also makes a good point that is provides an even "color" base for even "color up" build up of color layers. Remember thin layers of the color coat prevent problems like orange peel - checking - crazing etc.so you do not need to sand the paint coats if there are no problems. I'm not a salesman for mr. hobby or tamiya products but they are much easier to use for modeling than 1:1 car primers - and for a beginner will most likely produce a better result. - would like to see pictures of your work added here? - John
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

Great input here...but mostly if you have an airbrush & access to hobby/model paints...it can be hard to choose a special color online as well as expensive & time consuming to order international just to try out. I'm not against anything said here, just giving a different point of view. I wouldn't use a "filler" primer on a model unless there were special circumstances...
corvettekid_7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettekid_7684 View Post
Great input here...but mostly if you have an airbrush & access to hobby/model paints...it can be hard to choose a special color online as well as expensive & time consuming to order international just to try out. I'm not against anything said here, just giving a different point of view. I wouldn't use a "filler" primer on a model unless there were special circumstances...

corvettekid - there are some suppliers for Mr. Hobby primers and clears here in the USA - (Burbank house of hobbies) just google them - there are others and Tamiya stuff (paints/primers) are available at most model hobby stores - Hobbylinc here in the USA is also a good source. As for small amounts of "jar" paints for an airbrush there are some supplies but I like the Zero stuff myself. No mixing thinners with pigments - ready to use and great results. - John
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

Thanks! But there aren't any hobby shops near me I also don't use an airbrush. Perhaps I might get one in the future tho. Will these suppliers ship spray cans?
corvettekid_7684 is offline   Reply With Quote