Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
rendog24
AF Enthusiast

amp and subs........little help?

i know that i wouldnt get this answered for a while in the audio forum so i came here.i know i been askin a lot of ?'s bout system and stuff but just gimme a break.ok here we go...i am looking at instead of getting my audiobahn setup, this diff. setup. i found this pyramid amp that i want to power my subs. the amp puts out 1x1600 rms which will be able to power both subs at 1600 watts or around there right? then i am planning on these two power acoustik mofo 12" subs. they power 1200 rms each. there is the problem. even though the amp puts out more power rms wise then the subs will i blow my subs if i use this amp with both the subs?and it also says that the subs are designed for ported enclosures but what i want to do is put them facing the inside behind the seats. well really i am taking the backseats out so they can be seen facing in. is that going to be a problem?
here is the sub. i am going to get 2 of them.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POWMOFO12

the amp

1 x 800 rms at 4 ohms, 1 x 1600 rms at 2 ohms, 1 x 2400 rms at 1.3 ohms

any help is greatly appreciated.

"Don't touch what you can't grab, End up with two backhands, Put anthrax on a tampax, and slap you 'til you can't stand" - Eminem
rendog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:36 AM   #2
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dreemkill Send a message via AIM to dreemkill Send a message via Yahoo to dreemkill
all depends on the load you run the speakers at...
if you are getting two 4ohm DVC woofers, than you'd be able to run them down to a 1ohm load if you run them in i think series parallel... tho i could be wrong, im going completely by memory right now...and its 2:30am and im exhausted

try to run them down to 1.3-1.5 ohms, and you'd be able to power those speakes to just about perfect specs.

Originally posted by Prelussion

And then both of you guys w/ you sewing maching powered cars get passed by a moped w/ a 5hp Engine and he goes on to put 5 car lengths on you. Racing an EX vs a DX is like a 10 speed bike vs a golden retriever.

AF Upstate Crew -- Member #1

Current Audio: none. car dead.
dreemkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:04 AM   #3
sparq
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to sparq
Quote:
Originally posted by dreemkill
try to run them down to 1.3-1.5 ohms, and you'd be able to power those speakes to just about perfect specs.
To get a 1.3 ohm load he would need 3 single voice coil 4 ohm subwoofers...

The amp in question, a Pyramid PB2400D is a pretty cool little amp... its a little over rated, but if you have the ability to give it GOOD power and also have a GOOD headunit to feed the signal to the amp... its pretty neat. The only thing that sucks about it, is its a Pyramid -- not known to be on anywhere NEAR the same level as Audiobahn. Solution? Take the Pyramid sticker off and custom paint the heatsink (because it does get hot I would suggest painting it JUST like a valve cover) and presto no one will ever know that you are running Pyramid

Checked the link -- Those are dual 1 ohm subs... So you have the option of running..

(2) 2 ohm loads (stereo)
(1) 1 ohm load (mono)
(2) 1/4 ohm load (mono... good luck finding an amp to do this that wont catch your trunk on fire)

...and also, it is my OPINION that this wouldnt be a very good setup. Read the woofer specs, each woofer need 2.4 cubic feet of air space -- two = 4.8 cubic feet... thats HUGE. Good luck with yanking a 75lb box in and out of your car when you want to race -- ask Dreemkill how heavy his box used to be! Also, when designing a system I always suggest that your amp cost the same as your subs if not more... so if you have two $200 subs -- the theory is you get at least a $400 amp to push them, and if thats too much then well I suggest you get two $100 woofers.

There isnt a problem with taking the back seat out or folding it down or whatever to expose the woofer, but number one -- you dont want to have a crappy woofer in there. And by crappy I mean quality wise, the MOFO is more of a bass woofer... with the seat down, its going to sound almost like a bandpass box... if you want your subs firing forward -- and you MUST do it, go with a pair of Infinity Perfects.

RIP AUNIE
sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
JayFidizzy
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JayFidizzy
I got a decent setup from best buy...I got 2 12in sony xplod subs...1 Sony Xplod 780 Amp 2 channel. I have to say I love the way my system sounds...its not competition class but it delivers what I like.
JayFidizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dreemkill Send a message via AIM to dreemkill Send a message via Yahoo to dreemkill
wowly fuck......2.4' per woofer??? dude....get somethin else :/
thats a fuckload of space, and wood. i'd expect 2.4' if you were runnin 18" subs...truuuust me, i drove around with 4.8 for all 4 of my audiobahns....yes it pounded like a motherfucker, BUT.....the box weighed about 100lbs or more....took me AND my dad to be able to get it in the car.
my opinion that isnt a good setup..speakers are way too inefficient..2.4' per woofer is a ton. 2.4' should be for 2 speakers...
perhaps you should look into some audiobahns..my audiobahns need no more than 1.6' each (and that is the maximum space for a sealed box, it goes down to as much as .88' for a sealed enclosure) and 1.44 for ported.. then again, these are 400w woofers, yours are a lot more... but wattage doesnt == sound quality/loudness

And then both of you guys w/ you sewing maching powered cars get passed by a moped w/ a 5hp Engine and he goes on to put 5 car lengths on you. Racing an EX vs a DX is like a 10 speed bike vs a golden retriever.

Old 04-29-2002, 12:11 PM   #6
rendog24
AF Enthusiast

thats a lot of space that it will take up. well thanks a lot for all your guys input and i think that i will just stick with my first setup for good. in case your wondering here it is.
2 audiobahn 12alumx(1000 watts rms) - $139.00 each at www.thezeb.com

1 a1500hcx amplifier(500x1 @ 4 ohm | 1000x1 @ 2 ohm | 2000x1 @ 1 ohm RMS) - $449.00
also at the zeb. i know i will really only get like 800 watts out of the amp to each sub.

here is the page for both of those.http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/audiobahn_specials.html

and phoenix gold 6.5 component speakers for up front - $99.00, and 6x9 phoenix gold - $79.00 a pair. *thanks to sparq for the recommendation* and a pioneer gmx564 amp to power the speakers. - $139.00
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/consumer-direct/gmx564.html

oh and 2 audiobahn 1 farad acap2. $95.97 each
http://audiovideoone.com/store/p001293.htm

and to control the whole system which will take me a while to save up for but i think i could do it. kenwood kvt-m700

and that is the FINAL setup of the system.sorry for all the questions and posts about systems. no more for me and thanks to whoever posted and gave help to me.

"Don't touch what you can't grab, End up with two backhands, Put anthrax on a tampax, and slap you 'til you can't stand" - Eminem
rendog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:12 PM   #7
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

VERY wise decision. you definatly will not be unhappy with audiobahn alums.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV