Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Traverse
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

2014 Traverse 3.6L LS Bad Radio Static

My 2014 Traverse LS has recently developed Bad Radio Static. It is intermittent and is so bad that you cannot hear any Radio Station when it is on the Blink. When it does work, it works and sounds great. I have the Shark Fin style antenna, and tried the cheap fix by replacing the 8" Rubber Mast, as it seemed to have stripped out. (I think someone tried to steal it and twisted it too far). But the new mast didn't solve the problem. For what it's worth, the CD Player works great with no problems. I don't know if the Shark Fin antenna Base can go bad. Anyone have a similar issue? Any Help would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 2014 Traverse 3.6L LS Bad Radio Static

Antenna, antenna and cable grounding (especially at the head unit), and ignition/power supply interference would be the initial suspects.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

I would like to post a little information to help anyone who may have the same problem that I had.

Just to Recap, I was experiencing intermittent Radio Static that was so bad that no sound could be heard except Static (No Music, News etc.) I replaced the Antenna Mast (not the Base), which didn't help, and for what it's worth, the CD Player worked perfectly all the time, while the Radio only worked about 75% of the time, and that was inconsistent (no specific time or event triggered it).

I visited an Automotive Audio Shop and was asked if the Problem was only on FM, or only on AM, or was it on both. Naturally, when I left the house the radio was playing only Static, but when I arrived at the shop, the Radio was working perfectly, of Course. (Doesn't the pain always go away upon arrival at the Doctor's Office? LOL).

The Technician made sure the radio was playing a good solid strong station on BOTH AM AND FM, and told me to leave the Radio on FM, and the next time it went bad on FM, switch to AM and see if the same problem persisted.

The Tech went on to explain that most strong FM stations should play WITHOUT an Antenna, while most AM Stations will NOT PLAY AT ALL without an Antenna. So if the static goes away when switching to AM, and plays the AM Station normally, THE ANTENNA IS NOT THE PROBLEM! (If the static persists on both AM and FM, the problem may or may not be the Antenna).

Sure enough, the next time my FM station went bad, I switched to AM and the AM Station played perfectly. I switched back and forth a few times between AM and FM to make sure. The AM Played Music, while the FM played Static no matter how many times I switched it. It turns out my OEM Radio had a defective FM Tuner.

I chose to replace the OEM Radio with an Aftermarket Unit. It wasn't cheap, but My OEM Radio did not have Bluetooth, and the Aftermarket Unit does, along with a lot more upgraded features, and BTW, CD Players are being phased out too, so I made sure my Aftermarket unit also had a CD Player before they're no longer available. (Out of a dozen different Aftermarket units on Display, only ONE had a CD Player).

So before throwing money, parts, and time at a problem like this, this little test may save you a little aggravation and a lot of money.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 12-29-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Rick Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Thank you for updating. I'm guessing that others will find this useful if they search for the symptoms.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to replace the original head unit, and other than the bluetooth, did you lose/gain any functionality?
Old 01-01-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

I had the Radio professionally replaced at an Audio Shop in Scottsdale AZ. If I understand what you’re asking, the install included a Module which I believe is an interface where all of the original OEM connectors plug into, and the New Unit then connects to the Module.

I didn’t loose any functions except the Outside Temperature display. I did add a number of Features including a DVD player, and IPhone CarPlay. One other difference was the Backup Camera Guidlines in the Display used to “Curve” when the steering wheel was turned, but now they’re solid. I still have all of the Steering Wheel Radio Controls. Not sure If I lost Onstar, but I canceled that subscription when the free trial ended. Onstar was a total Ripoff.
Blue Bowtie (01-02-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood View Post
... Onstar was a total Ripoff.
I just picked up a '23 LT, all-wheel. The OnStar is now "free" for 30 days. I told the dealer to not even bother enabling it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Traverse