Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
WindstarMommysBack
AF Newbie

Help with Starter UPPER BOLT REMOVAL

Hello ALL! I'm not new to the forum but I'm back again (hence new name). I was formerly known as WindstarMommy but I can't remember my password or email linked to that name....well, ok, blah, blah. I'm back from 3 yrs of rehab (heart attack, stroke) and working on my 3.8, 2000 Big Burgundy baby.

She's had a rebuilt tranny and needs a starter. But, this time I cannot get the upper bolt off! I was wondering what the problem is THIS time. I replaced the starter before with no problem (Come to find out back then that the starter wasn't the problem) but NOW this upper bolt is giving me heck . I have bought a Kobalt Double Drive ratchet where the handle turns because my regular ratchet broke. Yes, broke

I have contacted the people who did the tranny and they said that they may have taken the starter off to rebuild the tranny and placed the starter back on to the housing too tight.

Any suggestions on how to get this darn bolt off. I don't even have room to turn it.

Thanks for letting me ramble & vent.
WindstarMommysBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help with Starter UPPER BOLT REMOVAL

I recommend getting a 24" breaker bar to break loose really tight bolts. A ratcheting wrench won't provide enough torque and is likely to be damaged with that kind of force.

I use this one pretty regularly. In the rare instances where it's not enough, I have a section of steel pipe I slip over the handle for even more leverage. (I doubt you'll need that kind of force for a starter bolt. That's more for a stubborn axle nut or something like that.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...bar-67933.html
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
wiswind
AF Moderator

You could try soaking the bolt with P-Blaster.....let it soak overnight.
Worth a try!
Otherwise.....you could take it to a trusted mechanic and have them change the starter.
Most will install your part for you and just charge you the labor.
I did this with my Sienna when I encountered problems with a couple of bolts involved in a "simple" drive belt change.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
WindstarMommysBack
AF Newbie

Thanks scubacat but there is limted space for turning where it is. I will get a breaker bar for future use as it seems to sound like it could be a very useful tool for other things !

Hi wiswind! I remember your help from yeeeaars ago. The soaking is what I'm doing tonight. I thought maybe the "magicians" here would have the answer to ALL my issues (and problems) without the mechanic shop ($$$$$). I hate going to them if I feel I can do it myself and save $$$$$.

Well, I am so glad this site is still up and running after my hiatus. I treasure all the information and everything you have to offer.

Off I go to soak this bolt.
WindstarMommysBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Autozone with "loan" you a breaker bar.

Heat can be applied to a stuck bolt/nut to remove it.

I don't remember, is the bolt you're talking about threaded into the transmission, engine block, or a nut?

This might be one for an impact wrench.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Can you reach it with a socket extension, though? I don't remember it being TOO bad when I changed mine but it's been a few years.

You can rent the breaker bar, yes, but they're like $10 at harbor freight and they're truly useful for anything snug. I just used mine to remove the drain basket in the bathtub the other night (attached with an extension to a basket wrench). It had been in there since 1976 and the previous homeowner told me it would never, ever budge and was impossible to remove! It truly took a fairly minimal effort thanks to my trusty harbor freight breaker bar.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

It may be easier just to go ahead and drop the exhaust manifold.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar