Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
bm2boats
AF Regular

Do you really need 4 Snow tires

I have a 05 Corolla. I would like to get snow tires for it( Studded). Put tire stores and Tire rack only will sell 4. It is a front wheel drive car. I had cars in the past that I only put 2 tires on them. What is so different now.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Do you really need 4 Snow tires

Just for the front wheel drive.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
TireTreads4x4
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2boats View Post
I have a 05 Corolla. I would like to get snow tires for it( Studded). Put tire stores and Tire rack only will sell 4. It is a front wheel drive car. I had cars in the past that I only put 2 tires on them. What is so different now.
Perhaps the stores want to limit their liability? Or the possibility that people might put the 2 tires on the wrong, non-drive axle?

While 2 snow tires will 'pull' you through the snow on a front wheel drive, 2 also on the back will provide additional traction overall. Such as reduced sway on turns and roads with more sideways cross slope.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Dr. Love
AF Newbie

I have driven a FWD car with winter tires only on the front and it is nowhere near as good as 4. The tendency for the back end to lose traction in a turn and force you to lose control is always there, and will make you have to slow down to a crawl whenever you take a turn, and even changing lanes can cause it to break out. I woudl argue that it's actually even worse than no snow tires at all, because the snows on the front will give you extra confidence and make you forget about the ass end losing traction.

Don't be a cheapskate, saving a little bit of money isn't worth risking your life, tires for a corolla are cheap, you're not buying 19" tires or anything.
Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels