Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Sheresh07
AF Regular

Engine Mileage and Motorcycles

So I had a quick question about what is considered high mileage on motorcycle engines, not MPG, but actual driven miles. I've been looking at some older bikes on craigslist, around 1990-1997 and have found a few 600 sport bikes that have what seems like reasonable asking prices, many have all the papers of the maintenance done and the bikes look like they are in excellent shape, however they have around 15-23k miles on the engine.

Is that considered high mileage, or if they are maintained well should I not be worried about getting a bike that has 23k miles? It will be my first bike, so I would like to keep it for at least 3-5 years before moving on, but I'm hesitant to purchase with the mileage. I don't want to blow 7-10k on my first bike, so a lot of what I am looking at is about 2.5k and under.

Sooooo should I be worried or not? Or am I asking the wrong question?
Sheresh07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Re: Engine Mileage and Motorcycles

you would want a bike that has been maintained well over low K's.

My first bike was 6 years old with 3000 k's (1800miles) bit it was poorly maintained. looked good on the outside but suspension had seized and warped discs.

My second bike, I sold with 30,000 k's (18,000miles) in top condition and it was 5 years old. I commuted for 2years on this one

I just sold my blade with 15,000 on the clock in top condition and I spoke to the buyer last week. he has clocked up close to 30,000 and its now a 5year old bike. I barely rode this one.

We average 5000-8000 k's a year (3000miles-5000) a year.

if your looking at a 10year old bike then 30,000-50,000 isn't high mileage.

Just really check the bike mechanically. Some of the UMJ style bikes will last forever with maintenance
Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Torch
AF Regular

I have a 1984 Honda Shadow VT700C (Street Cruiser Style 700cc engine) with over 46k miles on it, still runs great doesn't burn oil and flies like the wind.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I agree, that maintenance is more important than mileage. The most important thing to consider when buying a use sport bike is how the previous owner rode it. Look at points such as the peg scrapers, sprocket condition, steering head bearings, etc... If these are worn (or brand new), they are indicators of a hooliganized bike that's been abused.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Believer45
AF Newbie

I am another vote for maintenance is key. I ran across a guy in Niagra Falls the week after an international BMW rally in the early eighties who had a 1965 R60 with 675,000 miles on it (not a typo). His "new" bike was an R75 with 175,000 on it. He was riding the new one, he kept the other one at home. I witnessed the R75 but had to take his word for the R60.

I have also seen bikes with 10,000 on them that were worn out.

With the technology of the last 15-20 years I would not be afraid of 30,000 on anything that was not beat and had at least decent maintenance.

Dave / Believer45
'95 F250 power stroke 5 spd 4x2, extended cab, long bed, 3:55 rears, open air filter, 285/75x16 Cooper ATR tires, LUK single mass flywheel conversion, Putco master boss running boards, aluminum cap on bed, custom rear bumper (@450 lbs), scale weight full of fuel, me in it (285#) - steer 3420 lbs drive 3160 lbs gvw 6580 lbs, 280,000 miles as of Feb '09

Also 1996 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 auto 4 door LS, 95,000 miles.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Liquid cooling and electronic ignition really took the limitations off engine life on cycles...used to be by 30 or 40K, air cooled bikes were beginning to get a little tired, especially if not maintained well. Incorrect timing and/or points dwell would really raise combustion temps, and cylinders and valves would get scorched or pistons would fail, etc.

But any modern bike will generally run well 100,000 miles or more if taken care of...I know a guy who just sold his Suzuki LC1500 w/ 125,000 miles, it sounded and rode great...

I would expect less life from a sport bike in general terms, just because of the nature of how they are ridden...but 20-30K wouldn't scare me a bit...

Biggest thing to watch for in my opinion is one that hesitates, surges while cruising, or has to run an excessively long time on choke before running right...all symptoms of running too lean, usually due to exhaust/airbox mods done without proper carb jetting to match...excessively lean combustion will hurt a motor faster than anything else...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
quick69gto
AF Regular

jeffcoslacker has made some good points.
Most all modern stock configured bikes will last well beyond the 100,000 mile mark, as long as they are properly maintained (same rules apply to cars).
Modified bikes (and cars), even if they are properly modified, the modifications may shorten it's longevity a bit. I'm talking about engine mods. Engines, that are modified to create more power than what they are designed to produce, usually live a shorter life than the same stock configured engine.
Chassis or suspension mods are a little different. If they are done right, they usually create a better bike without hurting its longevity.
Whatever used bike you decide on, have it looked at by a pro.

Good luck!
quick69gto is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes