Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
es_class
AF Regular

it happened again...wtf!!!!!

Hey everybody. Remember my bike would cut off when I twisted the throttle..and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay? Well after a 3 hr ride from albany one day...I went out riding in nyc the next day for about 4-5 hrs with my buddies...my bike just cut off. Would turn on but as soon as I give gas..turn off. Same issue as last time. Don't know if its the relay but if so...then why would it happen again? The relay I used was a used one. Could it just be my luck that it was old and gave out too. If its not the relay then its the pump itself. 2 of my friends ..one on each side of me while on their bikes....put a foot on my rear pegs and pushed me home. I was just lucky it happened a few exits from where I was staying.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
es_class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: it happened again...wtf!!!!!

It's possible...some items are known troublemakers on certain vehicles, that relay could be that item on that bike, I don't know...

In the shop we used to have people try to bring us a used ignition module to put in a early 90's GM model with a suspected bad unit...we wouldn't do it because half of them were in the junkyard because they stopped running for just that reason...

Therefore it's only asking for trouble to try to assume a used one would be any good...

Along the lines of I wouldn't trust a used stator from a Gold Wing any farther than I could throw it...

I'd call the dealer parts dept and ask them if that's a high failure rate component...certain parts are notorious with parts guys...as Rich could tell you....

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
es_class
AF Regular

Thanks...I got a few months out of this last one and 3 yrs out of the one that was on the bike when I got it. I know I had jump started the bike the 1st one and some idiot trying to help out..so I can't get mad...put the cables on car wrong and I think that blew the relay. This time I don't know but it was used so who knows. I feel u on that note though. So far the only negative thing I've heard is about starvation to the third ...piston-i wanna say....or something like that so its recommended to fill oil a little past the line on the sight glass. Other than that...this bike is known for being solid and reliable.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I agree with Jeffco, check with a parts place to see if that relay is a high failure component. If so, buy a new one. If not, then I suspect your fuel pump may be going south and drawing too many amps causing the relay to fail prematurely.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
es_class
AF Regular

I thought that as well. The bike is known for being reliable and I've asked around.. No relay problems as far as I've read or heard from anyone. So far so good. But if it happens again..next step is that pump. So can that happen....can the pump start to pull to much and blow the relay? I thought so but wasn't sure.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Yes, a fuel pump going bad can draw too much current and fry a relay.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
es_class
AF Regular

Thank u sir! Lol. Now I play the waiting game.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes