Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Picked up another bike

Yamaha XJ 650 Special, circa 1981.

It belonged to my cousin and has been off the road for 19 years.

I got it for a song, but it's a real fixer. Most of the repair is to fix the results of poor storage and some weathering, as it sat outside for a while.

It does run, but it needs a carb rebuild, battery, muffler and lots of cleaning and polishing. I think it was in a minor accident because the front wheel and forks are from a dual disk XS series machine. As the XJ had a single front disk brake, it looks pretty peculiar now since the right side disk now has no caliper.

Strangely, it has brand new new tires and seat.

I really do not need it as my 1983 XJ 750 is similar but in much better shape. But I like working on old bikes as a challenge.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: Picked up another bike

Nothing wrong with that, tinkering is fun. I have an 82 Suzuki GS650 that I'm doing the same thing with. It needs paint and a few dents in the tank fixed, and a little TLC. It will make someone a nice starter bike when I'm done.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes