Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 07:03 AM   #16
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
well, the bus is out of most ppls league, so don't even worry about it right now. Once you get riding you will think differently of the bike after a few track days or passes through the canyon.

As far as motorcycles, I would suggest a F3 or F4i honda cbr600, they are both appealing, fast, and much more rider forgiving then most of the other 600cc sport bikes.

I started out on a 1980 Suzuki GS550, 6 months later I got a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 6 months later I got a gsx1100r, 6 months later I got a R6 (crashed the gsx), 6 months later I got my R1. The first major step was from my first GS550 to my Vulcan that I still own, it was much more power then I was used to, and fit me for quite awhile. Even though it gets beat by the V8 muscle cars at high speeds, it will dog them up to 90. So I would start out small, and make sure you have an experienced friend who can help you along the way.
R1-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:24 AM   #17
RSX
AF Enthusiast

Thank you soooooooooo much! That information was great and I learned alot about what I need to go through to gradually build and prepare myself for higher cc bikes. Thanx again, and your information was of great help.:flash: In the meantime, I'll be picking a bike (Most likely a honda):sun: Thanx again guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hon-cbr600-02-bikepics-18492.jpg (5.7 KB, 160 views)
RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 12:08 PM   #18
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

No problem, just be sure to buy gear. (lid, leathers, gloves, boots)

...And make sure you wear it.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:35 PM   #19
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
While we're somewhat on this topic, and I don't feel like starting a new thread to ask the same question, what would you guys say to a Kawasaki Ninja 500 as a first bike for someone who has absolutely NO riding experience?
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 09:54 PM   #20
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Quote:
Originally posted by YellowMaranello
While we're somewhat on this topic, and I don't feel like starting a new thread to ask the same question, what would you guys say to a Kawasaki Ninja 500 as a first bike for someone who has absolutely NO riding experience?
No, Kawi sucks... j/k... but they should buy MY Suzuki GS500

500's are GREAT starter bikes for total newbies.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:08 AM   #21
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by saturntangerine

No, Kawi sucks... j/k... but they should buy MY Suzuki GS500

500's are GREAT starter bikes for total newbies.
yes, 500s are great bikes to start out on, i started on a GS550 (mines bigger saturn :P.. er wait you aren't a guy hehe), and couldnt have asked for a more perfect bike.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:57 PM   #22
RSX
AF Enthusiast

Do you think that I could handle a Triumph 955i Daytona? If not, how long do you think I would have to ride in order to get one?
Old 11-09-2002, 11:58 PM   #23
RSX
AF Enthusiast

By the way, I'm sooooooooo happy they got the red color back for the Daytona 955i for 2003!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:18 AM   #24
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

hmm lets see, can you handle a 955i.... ummm no. Remember this simple equation: BALLS > BRAINS = BAD. It would take you ATLEAST a good year of riding to be able to step onto a sportsbike and not endanger yourself or other people. It takes atleast a year to get your general reflexes and reactions down pat, even after a year I would still not suggest getting a sportsbike. Plus you being as young as I think you said you were, your insurance will kill you.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:59 AM   #25
RSX
AF Enthusiast

Sorry. I guess I wasn't thinking. I just got a little over-excited, but I'm cool now. I guess the search continues....
Old 11-10-2002, 03:32 PM   #26
speediva
AF Fanatic

First line of advice... SCREW appearance!!!

Pardon my French, but that's all the more I can say. I hang out with ONE other girl who doesn't even have her own bike, and a bunch of guys on big sportsbikes... infact, there are several liter bikes in the group.

My point is: They don't care that you aren't starting out on a souped up crotchrocket. Heck, they're GLAD to wait back for you. If they aren't, they aren't worth riding with. And trust me, I know far too many of such guys, and you don't need that kind of trouble. Ya know how when you see 2 bikers pass eachother on the road they wave??? They don't care what you're on. You're part of the group no matter what you've got. It's really cool. Sure, I get teased for not being on a liter bike or whatever, but it's truly all in jest, and whenever I talk about getting a bigger bike EVERYONE cares about you and they tell me to keep my ego in check.

I know. Trust me I know how tempting it is to go look at some sexy Ducati or Triumph, but save yourself some drool and look at something SMALL. Remember: If you do this right, you'll have THE REST OF YOUR LIFE TO MOVE UP TO A BIGGER BIKE.

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 11-10-2002, 07:06 PM   #27
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Where did they make you saturn?
Old 11-10-2002, 07:18 PM   #28
speediva
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by R1-rider
Where did they make you saturn?
Huh??? I don't get it???

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 11-16-2002, 06:18 PM   #29
Kennedy200
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by RSX
Thanx, and, uh, I have a quick question How long did you ride before getting a GSX-R1000? And, I think that it would cost alot of money to keep buying bikes like that to fit your level. So, could someone tell me a good bike for my money and skill that would last me for a long time (And I also wouldn't mind it looking a little bit appealing)? And also, how long would I probably need to ride before getting something like a Hayabusa (Which is my dream bike). I really like the 2003 all black one (which I attached a picture of). But aside from that, I just really need some recommendations and suggestions on skill level and what I should do.[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\xp\My Documents\My Pictures\1300c.jpg[/IMG]
Lets see....

I rode a 2 stroke Suzuki enduro for 2 years.

After that we had a Sportster and Rebel at my disposal for 6 years. I choose to ride the Rebel alot because it was a fun little bike.

then I spent 2 years or so on a Superglide. Also, I did a lot of riding on some full dress Harleys (81 FLT, and early 90's FLH's)

Then I bought a 99 GSXR 750. I rode it for 2 years, and upgraded to the GSXR 1000, All in all, I rode for over 12 years before the 1000. The 1000 is not a beginners bike. Occasionaly it scares the shit out of me. IE: accelerating out of a turn in second gear and the front end goes skyward without any sign of wanting to come back down. Honestly, I should have stayed with the 750.

Just to give you an idea of the power of the 1k... Imagine 4th gear, 90 MPH, stand up, give it a little bounce, roll on the throttle, and the front wheel will leave the ground.
Kennedy200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:56 PM   #30
RSX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
IE: accelerating out of a turn in second gear and the front end goes skyward without any sign of wanting to come back down
Yeah. I think I'll stay away from that for a century or two. And I think that I can handle a Hayabusa earlier than 12 years of riding? Pleeeaazz! I would need ALOT more time. What was I thinking? Thanx for bringing me to reality (Well, maybe, who knows? Maybe I'll be better than I think.):sun:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes