Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
fisherdm
AF Newbie

Evaporative Emissions Control System Failure P0440

I have a 1997 Malibu w/ 97K miles. I don't drive it very much in warmer months when I ride a bike to work. Drove this week and check engine light came on. Friend plugged in a diagnostic comuter and w/ we got back Evaporative Emissions Control System Failure w/ P0440 code. I have read some postings that this may be from a loose gas cap but I checked and the cap was firmly seated. We cleared the code and the check engine light stayed off.

Any suggestions at where to start trouble shooting within the emissions system?

BTW, the car seems to be running just fine.
fisherdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
IOWABOB
AF Newbie

Re: Evaporative Emissions Control System Failure P0440

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherdm
I have a 1997 Malibu w/ 97K miles. I don't drive it very much in warmer months when I ride a bike to work. Drove this week and check engine light came on. Friend plugged in a diagnostic comuter and w/ we got back Evaporative Emissions Control System Failure w/ P0440 code. I have read some postings that this may be from a loose gas cap but I checked and the cap was firmly seated. We cleared the code and the check engine light stayed off.

Any suggestions at where to start trouble shooting within the emissions system?

BTW, the car seems to be running just fine.
Mine does the same thing about once a month, and has for a year, I just reset the code with a scanner, and everything works fine. (98 2.4 4cyl)
IOWABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
fisherdm
AF Newbie

I continue to get the P0440 EVAP Emission Control Failure code. 97 Malibu w/ 3.1L now w/ 103K miles. Car still appears to be running fine. Since my last post I have reset the code. Each time it comes back in a few weeks. It also has gone away on its own a few times. Seems that if I keep the fuel tank from going lower than 1/2 tank for a while it will go away but when the fuel tank drops less than 1/2 the code comes back. Not definite about this but it appears to be happening this way.

I have been reading posts on AF on these codes on all models/makes of cars. Read some suggestions on replacing the EVAP canister, PCV valve, checking the vacuum hoses for crack or lose connections, EVAP purge solenoid valve, EVAP vent solenoid valve and the EGR valve.

Any suggestions on where to start w/o straight up swapping parts and trouble shooting? Are these complicated replacement processes? Chiltons makes them sound simple but that is not always the case.
fisherdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
niccaleb112602
AF Newbie

I had the same problem on my 98. I found that a hose that runs to the "sensor or solinoid" right in the back of the intake manifold closer to the drivers side came off and threw the same code.
niccaleb112602 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu