Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #31
DealsGap
AF Regular

Re: hey new to bikes

I ride an R6, but it gets limited street use. It's primarily a track bike. I have no particular ties with the YZF600, I just think it's a good street bike. The same could be said for the SV or many of the other bikes in that category.
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #32
eclipser2001
AF Regular

so your saying that driving a SS bike on the street isn't as enjoyable a driving a sport bike on the street?
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
eclipser2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #33
DealsGap
AF Regular

In my opinion, the "race replica" bikes (R6, GSXR, ZX-6, etc) are not well suited for the street. If they were, there would be no reason for the sport-standard category to exist in the first place. Generally bikes in that category are still very good performers, but are more aimed toward the everyday rider. The biggest complaint I have with my R6 in commuting situations is how uncomfortable it is. I'm a pretty tall guy, and staying folded up on the bike while riding around in town gets pretty unbearable, and is definitely not enjoyable. Granted, my bike has rear sets which make it worse, but it wasn't comfortable stock either. I usually end up with back pain pretty quick when I'm not moving around on it. It also requires me to constantly up and down shift due to the power band being so short and so high in the rev range. There are usually several shifts involved in just passing a car. When I used to ride around town on a friends SV it was a much more enjoyable experience. I loved having all of the torque inherent with a twin, which allowed me to be in virtually any gear at any time and have smooth power delivery available, and it was leaps and bounds more comfortable. And the biggest key for a new rider is, the SV was MUCH more forgiving to inputs than the R6 is. In other words, there were things I could get away with on the SV that would have put me on the ground on the R6. After having a few of those situations, I'm glad I started on a bike similar to the SV rather than the R6 I have now.

There is also a mental stigma that goes along with riding my R6 that I don't have on other bikes. I have the tendency to feel anxious when riding it because there's nowhere to let the bike stretch it's legs in a commuting situation. As a result of this I tend to ride it around much more aggressively and be bothered more by the slow pace of traffic when I'm on that bike. When I'm on less track focused bikes I don't have that tendency. I'm able to kick back and enjoy the ride much more. Some of these things may be impossible for you to relate to having little or no riding experience, but after having clocked many miles on motorcycles over the years, my experiences have led me to conclude that a supersport wouldn't be my first choice if it weren't for the atypical type of riding I do.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #34
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i would agree that on sports bikes its hard to get into cruise mode. i find it hard to just sit in traffic without feeling the need to blast through it.

comfort should be a major priority for newbies. if your not comfortable then your less focused on the job of riding.

i'm not a fan either of newbs on race reps considering they are capable of 10-12 sec quarter's.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #35
eclipser2001
AF Regular

good news: i found 2 2003 GSXR600's, one with 6000 miles; the other with 8500 miles, one is $5550; the other is $8500, one is Monroe; the other is in Fayetteville, on is 3-4 hours away; the other is 2 hours away. I'm going for one of them. I'm checking them out first. I'm comming home with one of them. Do you think one will fit in the back of a 2003 Dodge Dakota SXT? And how do I strap it down so I don't lose my investment?
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #36
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i would not go out on the sole purpose to buy one for the sake of it. if one is worth it then go for it. don't buy a bike just for the sake of it!!!!!!!!

i know its hard to wait but it could be worth it. murphy laws says as soon as you buy one of these, a better deal will come along.

as for the tie downs, use the rear pasenger foot pegs and the handle bars. tie the front brake in too. put the bike in so the front wheel is as far forward as possible so when you tie the handle bars down, the front shocks compress.

rachet straps are the go

Last edited by aussieidiot; 05-23-2006 at 02:13 PM.
aussieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #37
eclipser2001
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
i would not go out on the sole purpose to one one for the sake of it. if one is worth it then go for it. don't buy a bike just for the sake of it!!!!!!!!

i know its hard to wait but it could be worth it. murphy laws says as soon as you buy one of these, a better deal will come along.

as for the tie downs, use the rear pasenger foot pegs and the handle bars. tie the front brake in too. put the bike in so the front wheel is as far forward as possible so when you tie the handle bars down, the front shocks compress.

rachet straps are the go
yeah, your right about that.

one quickie: what more forgiving and user-friendly between a GSXR600 and the ZX6R?
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #38
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsGap
There is also a mental stigma that goes along with riding my R6 that I don't have on other bikes. I have the tendency to feel anxious when riding it because there's nowhere to let the bike stretch it's legs in a commuting situation. As a result of this I tend to ride it around much more aggressively and be bothered more by the slow pace of traffic when I'm on that bike. When I'm on less track focused bikes I don't have that tendency. I'm able to kick back and enjoy the ride much more. Some of these things may be impossible for you to relate to having little or no riding experience, but after having clocked many miles on motorcycles over the years, my experiences have led me to conclude that a supersport wouldn't be my first choice if it weren't for the atypical type of riding I do.
Very true, and patrol cars on the road don't make it easy. There's two notion going through my head, one, I have to get away from these cars to not get run over. And two, I hope one doesn't pull in front of me as the acceleration is a bit fast for the cage drivers to judge. And to sample that ample torque of mid revs on the street, one needs to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. But then, the bike is loud and it gets buzzy on the bar. And pretty much the moment you twist to past a few cars, you're always getting 15-30 mph over the limit easily within 2 secs. Plus if you get one of those cramps, then it's all the more reason to reach the destination quickly.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #39
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipser2001
one quickie: what more forgiving and user-friendly between a GSXR600 and the ZX6R?

about the same really. hondas are the only ones with the reputation of being forgiving
Old 05-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #40
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Yeah the new ZX-6R's are right up there with all 600s being razor sharp. But the older ones, like pre-2002 were like couch I believe, real easy on the street. When new version of CBR, GSXR, and R6 came along, I believe most mags started calling it sport tourer, because of the comfort level, linear powerband with more midrange, and relatively sluggish cornering.

Btw, both of those GSXRs sound overpriced, try cycletrader.com. If you're not dead set on race reps, there is sv650s among sportbikes, as well as the other 500s. Older 600s (FZR, F1, F2, F3) make it for a good first bike as well, as long you don't tap into the powerband within the first month of riding. Plus the parts are so much cheaper, an air filter can cost anywhere from $25.00 to $80.00 for a 600, depending on brand or year.

It does sound like you're level-headed for asking "which is more forgiving question," most new riders don't. I would say all +99 bikes are pretty fast and competitive, they all have over 95 hp on the rear wheel. Older 600s have as much as 10-20 HP deficit, tamer powerband, and weigh much more. A new 600 on the other hand is 110 hp on the rear at 400 lbs.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #41
eclipser2001
AF Regular

Im getting a ZX6R today for $6000. My dad's a good talker so he's going to try talking him down a couple hundred dollars. I saw the body of it: it's flawless, it's in just excelent condition. It has a clear title, it's totally stock. And it's a 2002 with 3715 miles. I'm still not sure how exactley how to secure it in the bed of a truck. I'll look it up.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #42
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Unless you really like the bike, doesn't sound like a good deal. And in either case, that bike is still pretty high strung, as the HP it puts out is a bit more than R6 or F4, although it's geometry is a little more forgiving and ergonomics relaxed for street duties. That is your decision, but the price seems too high.

check nadaguide.com for bike blue book value.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #43
eclipser2001
AF Regular

There was a problem, we got the VIN# for the bike but the seller must have copied it wrong cuz the bank couldn't find anything about it. So we are going over there tomorrow to get it again and Tuesday were taking it to the bank to get it appraised then to the insurance place so they can look at it. Then it's mine. The Nada retails it for average retail at 4385. But the bike only has 3700 miles on it and the paint/body is flawless so that's not average. It's above average.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
Old 05-26-2006, 11:55 PM   #44
DealsGap
AF Regular

I paid $5000.00 for my 2002 R6 about a year ago in pristine condition with 3000 miles on it, and several thousand dollars worth of track prep in it. That is a very steep price for the zx6. I wouldn't even look twice at it. I wouldn't even be looking at zx-6's if I were you in the first place, but thats neither here nor there...
Old 05-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #45
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsGap
I paid $5000.00 for my 2002 R6 about a year ago in pristine condition with 3000 miles on it, and several thousand dollars worth of track prep in it. That is a very steep price for the zx6. I wouldn't even look twice at it. I wouldn't even be looking at zx-6's if I were you in the first place, but thats neither here nor there...
Preach on, brotha man!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes