Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
FabricGATOR
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to FabricGATOR
Re: is car oil, fuel system cleaner, and octane booster ok?

Its my beleif that Golden Spectro is full synthetic.
The (few) oil companies will package to the equipment manufacturer's specifications (additives).
Dinosaur oil is oil, but the additives can change different properties such as sludging inhibitors, viscous friction, ability to withstand heat, corrosion inhibitors, higher revving engines might have a tendancy to foam the oil. Air cooled VS water cooled........

We know that we loose performance when the oil has reached its limits. We can feel it in the throttle.

I ran Aeroshell 15W50 (an aircraft oil) one time. A short time. It was available and I'd give it a try, its good stuff... It was my finding that it wasn't designed for the higher revving that I'd subject it to.

There are even additives demanded by the FAA for aircraft use that MUST be used in some piston aircraft every 50 hours running time. It is a corrosion inhibitor and it (beleive it or not) soaks into the metal and also is an anti-wear compound. Similar to a product called LenKite.

FUEL SYSTEM ADDITIVES..... well I have used Kawasaki fuel system cleaner/additive. It worked well for my Yamaha.

I do think that some additives might screw up some seals and packings. Proceed at your own risk. I also fear that with the fuel shortage and the re-engineered auto fuel (I hesitate to call it gasoline anymore) that we may see more and more problems with older technology machinery that will become subject to its consumption.

I think that if you have a vintage bike that your trying to re-vitalize.... that I'd hesitate to put solvents into the gas tank, oil reservoir, final drive etc.

I do beleive in changing the brake fluid at regular intervals at least every two years. It is a hygronomous fluid ( I think thats how its spelled) meaning that it tends to absorb dirt and moisture. Change it often.

Happy New Year everyone and if anybody can point out where my statements are at fault.... please do not let me know.

DISCLAIMER: These are the ramblings of a recovering alcohol damaged brain. I'll never drink again. Today I'm for the reinstatment of prohibition, tommorow I'll fight it tooth and nail. Bathtub gin might effect your vision.
1987 944 N/A
1976 Buick Century (SCRAPED)
1979 Yamaha XS1100
I have a parking problem everywhere I go...

2004 Pontiac Gran Prix . . I don't care.
1993 Mustang LX . . . . . I don't care..
1996 Honda Civic CX. . . . . I don't care, well, maybe a just little...
I can't afford to love her anymore!

FabricGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
kelwa1
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kelwa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
also your bike has a wet clutch so the clutch is in with the oil. clutches are a friction based part so you will end up with sediment within the oil circulating.
You are correct, you did say it. Sometimes the novice rider doesnt always pay attention to details, so I said it again in a different way. Sorry, didnt mean to step on your toes, but if its any consolation, Ill buy you a few beers if I'm ever down under.
kelwa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:32 PM   #18
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

no worries mate. takes more than that to give me the shits.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #19
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

yeah, you could play pin the tail on the donkey with a car on Aussie's bike, and he'll still let you go.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:22 AM   #20
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

hhmmm.... today, my buddy and i changed the spark plugs in my gixxer, took us a while, cause we didn't know where it was. first we took of the right fairing hoping it would be on that side, but it wasn't. then we took off the gas tank then the air filter box, and finally there it was. anyways, while i took off the right fairing, i saw a print that says, "sae 10w-40." this was also the same in his cbr 600rr. could it be that majority of bikes out there use this same oil??? sae 10w-40, thats the same motor oil used in cars. if u guys ever do some snooping, or is doing some kind of engine work, do me a favor and see what ur bikes says it needs for the type of lubricant, thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #21
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

After reading all the discussion so far, my guess is even if the numbers indicate the same, I think motorcycle oil mixture is different, refined more for higher rev motors.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #22
NaKeDZX
AF Enthusiast

10-40 is the weight of the oil. It doesn't have anything to do with the additive package in the oil.
NaKeDZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #23
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: is car oil, fuel system cleaner, and octane booster ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaKeDZX
10-40 is the weight of the oil. It doesn't have anything to do with the additive package in the oil.
im not sure if u are replying to me or not, so i quoted u anyways just incase u were referring to me.

yes, 10w-40 is the weight of the oil and this is what our motorcycles reccomend. it didn't ask for any additives beside the printed sae 10w-40, so of course our motorcycles wouldn't need any. i got even more curious and look at bottle of vavoline sae 10w-40 quart of oil which i haven't use yet for my car, it states, "exceeds api services sm/sl and all preceeding api gasoline categories". note how i bolded sl.

now after understanding this, read this, which is from the article:

The owner's manual of your motorcycle probably says something very similar to the following:

"Use only high detergent, premium quality motor oil certified to meet API Service Classification SF or SG (shown on container). The use of additives is unnecessary and will only increase operating expenses. Do not use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives as they may adversely affect clutch operation." That's pretty clear. But what do you do since automotive oils now say on the container "meets SL Service?" That's easy! By consensus of the API and the manufacturers, the current SL classification meet all requirements of SF, SG, SH, and SJ plus all earlier API gasoline categories. The current SL actually offers some additional benefits over the older classifications. So, if the motorcycle requirement says "SG", be confident that "SL" indeed meets that requirement.
The Vanishing Zinc and Phosphorous

It is a fact than many SL oils now contain lower levels of ZDDP (the zinc/phosphorous extreme pressure additive) and that is a big concern to a lot of motorcyclists. ZDDP is a last resort protection against metal-to-metal contact. Whereas a few years ago the zinc level was typically 0.12% to 0.15% in SG automobile oils, some SL oils now have as little as 0.05%. However, this in itself may not be a problem since normal operation of a motorcycle on the street would never result in metal-to-metal contact any more than it would in your automobile. Remember these SL oils meet the most demanding protection requirements of modern, high-reving, powerful 4-stroke automobile engines (among others). And there is no reason to believe the lubrication requirements of street motorcycles is measurably different.

However, if you race you probably need higher levels of ZDDP and should use appropriate oils or ZDDP additives".
Old 01-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #24
kelwa1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: is car oil, fuel system cleaner, and octane booster ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran_nsx
The owner's manual of your motorcycle probably says something very similar to the following:

" Do not use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives as they may adversely affect clutch operation."
It's a proven fact your clutch will slip if you use any full-synthetic or synthetic-blend with these additives. Good for automotive engines, but much too slippery for a fiber plate to grab a metal one during clutch engagement at or around full throttle. Read your lables, because once it's on your fiber plates, it's there to stay. The correct oil is much CHEAPER than a new set of fibers.

AND,,,,,,,,,, the last time I checked, the factory fiber plates for my ZRX were around 17 bones each, 7 or 8 or possibly 9 altogether. Then you've have labor - I have had quotes starting around $120 & up.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #25
NaKeDZX
AF Enthusiast

Synthetic oil really isn't an issue for motorcycles. They make synthetic MC oil. The problem with clutches lies in the friction modifiers they use in auto oil. I've used Mobil1 synthetic in my bike for several years with no problems. Now this is a pretty heavily modified ZRX with 140hp at the rear wheel. I'm still on the stock clutch at 24,000 miles. I'm not trying to preach to any of you, but for a few cents more a few times a year, why risk using auto oil? I don't get it.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #26
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaKeDZX
I'm not trying to preach to any of you, but for a few cents more a few times a year, why risk using auto oil? I don't get it.
this goes back to the question; $2 for a bottle of oil or $6 for a bottle of manual transmission fluid when they both can do the job? of course if u prefer to give up ur hard earn money, than thats ur choice. im trying to break down rumors and companies marketing procedure so the the public knows the truth.

heres something else i found interesting after doing some research; studies show oil can last thousands of miles more than the regular "3000 mile oil change," but are oil manufacters going to let its consumers know? NEVER! in europe according to my study, the regular oil change for a car using synthetic motor oil is 9000 miles. companies know if they go out in public and extend the so call 3000 mile oil change, they will lose billions on revenue.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #27
kelwa1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: is car oil, fuel system cleaner, and octane booster ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran_nsx
, they will lose billions on revenue.
The GOVERNMENT is out to get you,,,,,,,

It's all about the mean green.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #28
NaKeDZX
AF Enthusiast

There are always alternatives to the correct product to use. That doesn't mean the alternative is designed to do the job. Auto oils are not engineered to withstand transmission abuse. Will it work for a while? Sure, it's oil for crying out loud! You can use ATF in your forks instead of fork oil like they did in the 70s, but why would you? I don't pay top dollar for stuff just because it says it's better. I weigh my requirements in a product and buy the cheapest one that WILL MEET those requirements.

Synthetic oils can go longer in between changes, but I still do it at 3k on the bike. They run hard. You can go 5k in a car with no problem. I'd feel more comfortable changing the filter half way through that interval though. I cringe when I hear of people changing the filter at every other oil change.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:19 AM   #29
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

when many if not all respected shops nationwide sells atf and reccomends it for ur forks, not becuase its a temperary fixer upper, then u might have something. this on the other hand, if u go to any automotive store and ask for mtf, they will simply give u a bottle 10w-30 automotive oil.

also i want to break it down for everyone to understand so they know it's possible to use automotive oil without any problems what so ever, just make sure its a plain sae 10w-40 motor oil without any additives. most bikes require an oil that meets an api service classification sg or sf. becuase automotive oil meets an api service classification of sl, sl also meets many other classifications requirements such as sg, sf, sh, and sj, thus making it possible to use automotive oil. again though if u want to spend $6-15 or more for a quart of motorcycle oil because u feel more comfortable and safe,then that is ur business.

Last edited by tran_nsx; 01-05-2005 at 10:33 AM.
tran_nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #30
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

I'm going to throw in my $.02 now since everyone else has spoken their mind. Not too many people on here have air-cooled bikes like mine, but I would NOT under any circumstances use anything but motorcycle oil in my bike. Automotive oil is meant for liquid cooled motors, not air cooled. I do my damndest to use synthetic motorcycle oil such as AMSOIL whenever I can. Say what you will, but I know I can feel the difference between dino oil and AMSOIL.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes