Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
covertsa
AF Newbie

detuneing a bike

I am thinking about buying 02 r6 as my first bike, I was woundering if it would be possible to detune this bike, if so how much ??
thanks
covertsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
flex339
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to flex339
Re: detuneing a bike

why not just get a slower and cheaper bike to start then upgrade later?
flex339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

do you have your heart set on this bike?
if you really want to limit a bike's performance then the only way to really stop the bike from going quick is difficult. its so technical i might have to draw some schematics and then post them. in a nut shell what you do is either
1)when sitting on the machine comfortably and with all the correct safety gear turn the key BUT instead of hitting the start button, make 'broom broom' noises or
2) if you have to actually move then once on the road and moving, the right hand control limit switch must be activated. to do this you have to bypass and override the the 'f23kwit' gene in the main control CPU.

if you need further help ask your mum
Old 07-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
flex339
AF Enthusiast

Old 07-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #5
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

get something else.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 07-17-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Z_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
covertsa
AF Newbie

it would have been a lot easier just to no you can't detune it thx for the great help
covertsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:48 PM   #7
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

I am sure you probably can detune the R6, helk, in the bike world, anything is possible. but from where you stand, you shouldn't get a R6. I am guessing you're aware of the power it has, thus you want to downgrade it right? but you like the looks of R6. Well, beginners shouldn't be concerned with looks. IMO, it's the speed and the cage-free thrills that would get me on a bike, not how neo-futura and slick it looks. But few would contest R6 is a fine bike to start on, most smart riders would say nay.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
cmoubell

Heres a tip...

If you have your heart set on the R6 just watch that the steering drops into the turn automatically at lower speeds more then any other sport bike in the 600cc class, which might weird you out and would take some time to get used to. Also if you want to detune set the idle lower so you don't wheelie off the get go and also cover up your airbox (ducttape will do the trick) so that your engine doesn't get as much air, I did this to my friends CBR600R since he was a new rider and had fallen off it twice in about a week of getting it. After that he didn't have anymore problems, his bike was a bit slower so he could handle it better and when his riding skills improved I took off the tape and reset his idle. He hasn't had a problem with bike over-performance (a.k.a. rider inexperience) since. heh and if you use you "head" when riding, shift in to higher gears (even in sixth gear around town) when riding to keep the rpm under 6000. Not only will you save gas driving at lower rpm, but you will reduce the wear and tear on your bike! Good luck
Old 07-19-2004, 02:26 AM   #9
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Come on mate. Where's your sense of humor. Why do you want an R6 so much? Have you read the "first bike" threads and decided that detuning was an option to make it safer for you to learn.

Have you read Flex339' story in the thread "just got my first bike".
Short version (apologies to flex339) he stacked! lucky it was a cheap bike. imagine the damage done to an R6 in the same style of accident

learn first then upgrade.
I know this will get the same old response of "its ok to learn on 600's" but the all the first bike threads say the same thing and only the smart newbies seem to read it. good luck anyway
Old 07-19-2004, 04:54 AM   #10
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Well, at least he knows he can't handle the power. Unlike most people around my area, they think a helmet, backpack, a pair of shorts, and a t-shirt will save them in a crash, oh and did I forget to mention they ride litre bikes as well?
Auto_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

you guys have helmets? here, it's basball caps and beach shades. we got slim shadys on crotch rockets
Old 07-20-2004, 03:42 AM   #12
Wolf
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Fanatic
you guys have helmets? here, it's basball caps and beach shades. we got slim shadys on crotch rockets
Florida, I assume?

For the original poster- the R6's power is just one reason why it's not good to start on. The primary reason is because the bike's geometry is setup so it has very fast turn-in with little steering input. This makes for a fast track bike, but one that's twitchy and hard to control for new riders.
Let your brain decide which bike to get, not your ego.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
flex339
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
Come on mate. Where's your sense of humor. Why do you want an R6 so much? Have you read the "first bike" threads and decided that detuning was an option to make it safer for you to learn.

Have you read Flex339' story in the thread "just got my first bike".
Short version (apologies to flex339) he stacked! lucky it was a cheap bike. imagine the damage done to an R6 in the same style of accident

learn first then upgrade.
I know this will get the same old response of "its ok to learn on 600's" but the all the first bike threads say the same thing and only the smart newbies seem to read it. good luck anyway

hehe it's all good aussie. I don't mind that I stacked. I write it off as a learning experience. I've since fixed the bike up. I went to a local bike shop and got some gloves and oil change items. The highlight of the trip was a guy that stopped by on a katana 600. He said he wanted some performance upgrades so he could pull third gear wheelies. The store owner told him that it wasn't going to happen on that bike and to buy a liter bike if he really wanted to.

Don't worry though he was only wearing a silk t-shirt,loose pants, and a helmet of course.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that a Kawasaki Z1000 was only about 2/3's the size of the Katana 600 yet it's a liter bike.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 AM   #14
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Fanatic
Are the roads painted red there? Cuz it would help with the clean up
Auto_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #15
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Few months ago, I saw a really sweet looking black street bike (wasn't close enough to see what it was though) lifeless in middle of the road. The frame and bulk of it was still there, but one of the tire was gone, and all the little trinkets were shattered to pieces. This green minivan had a pretty nasty front fender bender. To say the least, I think it hit the engine. I tried to deny it, but my mother was with me, and she said, "I think somene's dead. I feel so terrible for the mother of that boy." We were at far away distance, so all I saw was someone being hauled off into the helicopter, and was fully covered in green cloth. And the other party was I guess taken via ambulance. as it stayed there for a while. I tried to tell myself, whoever was carried off in the helicopter, just needed urgent attention. Well you can guess who was lifted to the hospital by a whirly. It had created major traffic jam, so at first I had to park the car nearby shopping plaza where I witnessed some of it. I have no idea when the crash occured. So with no luck of traffic clearing, I went back and joined the congestion, so slowly, as I was passing the site of accident, I just saw more debris from the bike. I didn't see the helmet anywhere, don't know what happend to it. And there was no sign of dragging or skidmarks. From my view, the minvan was busted in the upcoming traffic, and I am guessing the bike was fling all the way to the other side, on-going traffic (where I was heading) due to the impact. It was middle of an intersection, so that explains a bit.

Anyway as for the roads, it alway seems like constructions season, 2/4 lanes are always blocked or lanes on freeways are ridiculously narrow for cages, and at many places, there are no visible lines for each lane.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes