Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Blazing95
AF Newbie

2004 Malibu 3.5 v6 Hard Start

Here is what I know.
2004 Malibu 3.5 v6. 101,000 miles.
In order to get engine running gas pedal has to be pushed all the way down to get it started. Engine will not start by turning key. Car initially starts sputters and then dies. Pedal to the floor while cranking engine fires and runs. Which direction do I go first at. Ignition or Fuel. What should the fuel pressure be with key on engine not running ? What should pressure be at while running ?
What is the time frame pressure should hold at and for how long ?

Ignition, Coil,Wires,Plugs. Are these the only ignition parts to look at?

Check engine light is on but has leak in exhaust. Exhaust needs to be welded.
All parts above are original. Neither Fuel Pump nor Ignition Component have not been changed. Which do I do first ?

Your posted information will help me make my decision
Thank You in advance.
Blazing95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2004 Malibu 3.5 v6 Hard Start

Post the code number....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Blazing95
AF Newbie

po 128 Coolant Temp
Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

P0128, just means it is taking too long for the car to get up to normal operating temp.....usually it needs a thermostat,,,,,in some cases, it needs a coolant temp sensor......with a scan tool, the temp sensor reading should match the IAT sensor.....

Normally, this code does not prevent a start......

So if you just start with the key, it starts and immediately dies......if you hold the gas pedal to the floor, it will start, and when you release the gas pedal it will continue to run? Or does it die?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
Blazing95 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Blazing95
AF Newbie

Tech II. Thank you for your quick reply.
Make sense what your saying so far.
Coolant Temp replaced. Thermostat replaced with 195 Degree.
Fresh DEX Cool flushed through system. Heat works Great. Problem solved for cooling issues.
Engine will not run on its own when key on and trying to start cold or hot. The only way it fires and runs if pedal is at floor and turn key motor will run. Engine will not run with just turning key. Changed the basics. Air filter PVC as engine needed it as well. Do I go further and do coil wires and plugs will this be the direction I take and then look at fuel or do I do fuel before ignition ?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing95 View Post
Tech II. Thank you for your quick reply.
Make sense what your saying so far.
Coolant Temp replaced. Thermostat replaced with 195 Degree.
Fresh DEX Cool flushed through system. Heat works Great. Problem solved for cooling issues.
Engine will not run on its own when key on and trying to start cold or hot. The only way it fires and runs if pedal is at floor and turn key motor will run. Engine will not run with just turning key. Changed the basics. Air filter PVC as engine needed it as well. Do I go further and do coil wires and plugs will this be the direction I take and then look at fuel or do I do fuel before ignition ?
I would try a fuel filter before doing a lot of work checking. This was the problem on my 1999 Malibu with this type of problem.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Blazing95
AF Newbie

rhandwor

I would love to change the fuel filter and drive like a "bat out of hell" however it is non serviceable
and it located on the fuel pump as a strainer- That Sucks but if someone could tell me the fuel pressure while car is running and how long it should hold until key is off that may help me decide to do the fuel pump as it is the original and I'm assuming it tired and needs a boost.
Finally do I check it on the fuel line rail that I'm not sure so if my fellow AF partners could chirp in
i would be grateful.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Could be an IAC problem......at first, I thought it might be a SECURITY problem, but if it starts and runs by depressing the gas pedal, it could be the IAC or dirty throttle body...

Are there any codes in the vehicle?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Blazing95
AF Newbie

Tech II

Your Kicking Ass. I appreciate that. I too thought it was the stupid ignition passlock security BS.
I overlooked the Throttle Body and the IAC as I thought it was other stuff. The same problem is with my 3.1 motor in a venture van as well. Guess what Im doing tonight hopefully is cleaning the throttle body plate and the IAC. Im going to run the codes and will let you and I know and the others who have been following as this might be the problem ?
Stay Tuned- Thanks Tech II ill be in touch-Rick
Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing95 View Post
rhandwor

I would love to change the fuel filter and drive like a "bat out of hell" however it is non serviceable
and it located on the fuel pump as a strainer- That Sucks but if someone could tell me the fuel pressure while car is running and how long it should hold until key is off that may help me decide to do the fuel pump as it is the original and I'm assuming it tired and needs a boost.
Finally do I check it on the fuel line rail that I'm not sure so if my fellow AF partners could chirp in
i would be grateful.
I looked at one of the parts houses and the pressure regulator,fuel pump and filter are all in the tank. While I have changed the one for my Kia 3.5L in the tank mine has an axcess panel pull up the back seat remove six screws and pick up the cover.
I would suggest you buy a years subscription to ALLDATA from Auto Zone. It used to be $29.99. The full time mechanics know what the fuel pressure is but won't tell you. I assume you need the vehicle. I purchased used a set of fuel pump adapters which was missing Ford adapters which I had.They are still expensive probably the price of an aftermarket fuel pump. Get the fuel pressure any where you can with a loaner set from Auto Zone or Advance.
If you post the pressure I think someone will help you.
Some Chevy's run between 50 to 60psi.
An Impala checked at 55psi same size engine.

Last edited by rhandwor; 11-13-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: General pressure
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Blazing95
AF Newbie

Tech II Getting back to you. Car has been running shitty but running. I have not had a chance to do IAC as the car is my friends and I can only get at it when he brings it over.
Bought a new Inovva Scanner as now I don't have to go to auto part store to check codes.
One step at a time. I promise to reply once weather gets a little warmer in Chicago. I bought Throttle Body cleaner as Carb cleaner is to caustic. Holding my breath. I'll post once I read codes and clean IAC and throttle plate etc...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu