Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #61
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Really excellent work Imster

Your skills and attention to details have improved so much since your earlier builds.
Additionally your descriptions of your work are excellent and I definitely like the summary at the end like in your above posting.

I learned much from you on this build - thanks very much for sharing

Cheers
John
Thanks John Yes I have become more daring with my builds now so I am pleased how I have progressed too!
imster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #62
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodeservice View Post
Very nice and clean work Immy!!
Congrats!!!
Just one thing...the safety wires on the grips look a bit bigger to scale...
Allways friendly!!
Ceep on!!

Elias
Hi Elias, yes I had this conversation about the grips on another forum and I cant believe how I overlooked such a simple thing! I was going to redo it but I decided against it because it probably would have done more damage than good to try to replace them at that point of the build. Next time I will be aware of using tiny gauge wire rather than this fat stuff I used
Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #63
ixodeservice
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imster View Post
Hi Elias, yes I had this conversation about the grips on another forum and I cant believe how I overlooked such a simple thing! I was going to redo it but I decided against it because it probably would have done more damage than good to try to replace them at that point of the build. Next time I will be aware of using tiny gauge wire rather than this fat stuff I used
You are right Immy... Sometimes when you try to fix something, something else brokes and so on... Ceep modeling friend!!! Elias
ixodeservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #64
Nida06
AF Newbie

Very nice work, for me this is impossible... Congratulation
Nida06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #65
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Imster - I use the small silver wire strands that come with the Top Studio electrical connector detail sets.

I use just one strand - it has the correct scale to the eye for safety wire.

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #66
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Imster - I use the small silver wire strands that come with the Top Studio electrical connector detail sets.

I use just one strand - it has the correct scale to the eye for safety wire.

Cheers
John
yep thats the wire! I think its around 0.17mm thick, I used it to make the clips on the reddish tube going into the tank on my build.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #67
stratos75
Loser

Hey man, this looks that you have built a real motorbike. Outstanding work!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #68
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

one of the most incredible bike build I've ever seen...!! wowwowwoww...
i'm just wondering seeing the exhausts on top, where is the fuel tank on this bike ??

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #69
imster
AF Newbie

Thanks Mikhail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
one of the most incredible bike build I've ever seen...!! wowwowwoww...
i'm just wondering seeing the exhausts on top, where is the fuel tank on this bike ??
Thanks Rallymaster, the fuel tank is the aluminum part at the bottom, the bike is basically upside down in that configuration and this is the main reason I did this build as I really was intrigued by the layout and how it looks. As for performance, it was a terrible bike to race as the weight was too low on the bike which made turning into corners more difficult.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #70
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

thanks for your answer, that's what I was wondering, that big aluminium part...

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #71
SandroSilva
AF Regular

I can only say it was more an incredible work of their hands .

Could you tell me how did the Brake braided cables?
And those white belts in the front suspension , they seem really plasticas as it has a certain transparency.

Sandro
SandroSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #72
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
yep thats the wire! I think its around 0.17mm thick, I used it to make the clips on the reddish tube going into the tank on my build.
No - Imster that is not the silver wire I'm talking about - 0.17 mm is too large of a diameter - remember large safety wire is 0.32 inch.

The silver wire strands I use for safety wire are the wire strands that come with the electrical connectors made by Top Studio - TD23003

I strip the black insulation off and then use just one of the silver strands -
I'll PM you a picture - if I can figure out how.

Didn't you have a CBR1000RR that you took to the track?

I raced unlimited superbikes here in the USA in AMA National and CCS regional races on a CBR900RR from 94'-98' until I was paralyzed in a street accident.

John

Hey Imster - I went back through all your pics of the 84' NSR500 build - and YES you are correct - the silver wire strand you used on the pink/red tubing where it connects to the fuel tank on the right side is what I use for the safety wire on the hand grips.

A couple of additional questions though - how did you do the numbers "1" and "3" on the front cylinder heads - is that a decal??

Also did you drill the fork legs for all those bolts?? if yes, how did you manage that without the drill bit slipping off or not going through straight??

Cheers
John

Last edited by John18d; 02-22-2016 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added questions
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #73
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Quote:
The Spazstix Chrome I used was "Ultimate Mirror Chrome" and on the bottle it also says "For Plastic Parts", I have a feeling you might not have the same one? Although this does have acetone in it I didnt notice any adverse reactions when I used it.

Yes Marco and I are doing a buddy build on this kit and his is taking shape very nicely! The jigs are awesome and perfect for anyone who is serious about building motorcycle kits.

The areas of the bodywork that are blue were painted on with Tamiya TS-15 Blue decanted and sprayed through my airbrush, the colour match is pretty much perfect with the decals (maybe a tad darker)
Fantastic build!

Where can I find Marco's building jig?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #74
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandroSilva View Post
I can only say it was more an incredible work of their hands .

Could you tell me how did the Brake braided cables?
And those white belts in the front suspension , they seem really plasticas as it has a certain transparency.

Sandro
Hey Sandro, The brake cable is RB Motion braided wire and the sleeve is made from Barchetta, its called Spiral Tube. Its a little bit stiff and difficult to work with but I think the result is worth it. If you go to Macs Modelling you will find this tube:

http://www.macsmodeling.com/mysite/BP443.htm

The white "tie wraps" were made from Evergreen Styrene Item No: 9005 clear sheet 0.13mm thick. You lightly sand the styrene to give it a cloudy transparent look then you cut it to thickness and fit to where you want it

Hope this all helps mate
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #75
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
No - Imster that is not the silver wire I'm talking about - 0.17 mm is too large of a diameter - remember large safety wire is 0.32 inch.

The silver wire strands I use for safety wire are the wire strands that come with the electrical connectors made by Top Studio - TD23003

I strip the black insulation off and then use just one of the silver strands -
I'll PM you a picture - if I can figure out how.

Didn't you have a CBR1000RR that you took to the track?

I raced unlimited superbikes here in the USA in AMA National and CCS regional races on a CBR900RR from 94'-98' until I was paralyzed in a street accident.

John

Hey Imster - I went back through all your pics of the 84' NSR500 build - and YES you are correct - the silver wire strand you used on the pink/red tubing where it connects to the fuel tank on the right side is what I use for the safety wire on the hand grips.

A couple of additional questions though - how did you do the numbers "1" and "3" on the front cylinder heads - is that a decal??

Also did you drill the fork legs for all those bolts?? if yes, how did you manage that without the drill bit slipping off or not going through straight??

Cheers
John
No I never had the opportunity to race, would love to though or at least try out a track day. I had a z1000 until I had an accident and broke my shoulder (still doing physio weekly to get it sorted out). I am planning to get another motorcycle in the next few months although my wife is dead against the idea.

The 1 and the 3 were done freehand with some acrylic white paint and a paintbrush. Painting the 3 was especially difficult!

The fork legs were all drilled out. Before I drilled I used a scalpel to cut into where the bolt goes through, then I drilled straight from each side until they met in the middle. When I drill holes I always first use an old airbrush needle to mark and indent where the drill bit will drill into. I then always do my first hole with a 0.2mm drill bit, check to see if its centred, if its not centred then I adjust with my needle and drill with a 0.3mm bit to correct it. Once I am happy that the hole is centred and going in the correct direction I work my way up through the drill bits until I get to the size I require. Takes a lot longer but ensures everytime that the hole is straght and centred.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1/12 , 1984 , honda , nsr500 , tamiya
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes