Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
acrockett6
AF Newbie

Dummy question

Dummy question...Can someone just run down what everything in this engine bay is (See attached photo). I inherited an 88 f250 302 from my grandfather that is great running condition but only decent looking condition. My goal is to try and educate myself about the truck and learn what I can so I can keep the truck running and in great shape for the duration of the rest of my life. Truck only has 130k miles on it and the frame looks great, I am a programmer/IT person by trade so this is a good bit out of my element, but I am just interested in doing something with my hands and not in front of a computer screen for once.

Also, the engine bay in the photo is not mine, just what I hope for mine to look like.

Thanks and feel free to poke fun at my ignorance, I can take it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 417485.jpg (44.7 KB, 9 views)
acrockett6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dummy question

I'm a programmer. But I was in the Pits of the Drag Strip before I was a month old. Did my first 3 spd to 2 spd tranny swap by myself at 5. I think my understanding of cars and diagnosing problem helped in my mindset of becoming a programmer. All my spare time is still spent with cars.
As you said, this picture is not of your engine bay. Starting with basics. The side is always related to the driver when they are seated. So the left side in the picture is the right side of the engine. I will go from the drivers right front and then clockwise in the photo. Beginning with the battery, immediately behind that I can't tell from the picture but it could be an oil separator, then vacuum canister, air conditioner condensor, shiny silver in back middle is the intake manifold and at the front of that is the throttle control under the black plastic. At directly in front of the driver at his immediate left is the brake master cylinder where the brake fluid goes and behind that is the brake booster driven by engine vacuum to give extra power to applying the brakes. In front of that is the air cleaner box containing the air filter with hose coming to it front the center front and hoses going out of it to the intake manifold. The front of the engine will have an air conditioner compressor with lines going to the condensor. An alternator to generate electricity to recharge the battery, provide spark for the engine and drive accessories like radio and power windows. There could also be a power steering pump to help make steering easier. And it possibly has an air pump used by older vehicles for emissions control. An engine needs 3 things to run. Air, Fuel and ignition source. Some vehicles mix air and fuel through a carburetor. Some use fuel injectors to spray the fuel into the air for the mix with it sometimes being done in the intake manifold and sometimes directly inside the cylinder. For gas engines the ignition is by the spark plugs that are timed with the piston compression of the air and fuel at the point that will give the most energy. Problems with any of those, too much or little of air/fuel/spark, and the engine won't run properly or at all. I think that is enough of a beginning. I'm sure there are lots of videos on YouTube to help you out.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
acrockett6
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
I'm a programmer. But I was in the Pits of the Drag Strip before I was a month old. Did my first 3 spd to 2 spd tranny swap by myself at 5. I think my understanding of cars and diagnosing problem helped in my mindset of becoming a programmer. All my spare time is still spent with cars.
As you said, this picture is not of your engine bay. Starting with basics. The side is always related to the driver when they are seated. So the left side in the picture is the right side of the engine. I will go from the drivers right front and then clockwise in the photo. Beginning with the battery, immediately behind that I can't tell from the picture but it could be an oil separator, then vacuum canister, air conditioner condensor, shiny silver in back middle is the intake manifold and at the front of that is the throttle control under the black plastic. At directly in front of the driver at his immediate left is the brake master cylinder where the brake fluid goes and behind that is the brake booster driven by engine vacuum to give extra power to applying the brakes. In front of that is the air cleaner box containing the air filter with hose coming to it front the center front and hoses going out of it to the intake manifold. The front of the engine will have an air conditioner compressor with lines going to the condensor. An alternator to generate electricity to recharge the battery, provide spark for the engine and drive accessories like radio and power windows. There could also be a power steering pump to help make steering easier. And it possibly has an air pump used by older vehicles for emissions control. An engine needs 3 things to run. Air, Fuel and ignition source. Some vehicles mix air and fuel through a carburetor. Some use fuel injectors to spray the fuel into the air for the mix with it sometimes being done in the intake manifold and sometimes directly inside the cylinder. For gas engines the ignition is by the spark plugs that are timed with the piston compression of the air and fuel at the point that will give the most energy. Problems with any of those, too much or little of air/fuel/spark, and the engine won't run properly or at all. I think that is enough of a beginning. I'm sure there are lots of videos on YouTube to help you out.

Great answer, I am trying to approach learning this similarly to new technology concepts. I took the time to learn in-depth each part’s functionality and how it all comes together. Even started looking at differences between carbeurated and fuel injected and man....the carbuerated engines are way simpler. You’re answer was great though. Although I learned the functionality, it got a little convoluted when I popped the hood. This engine bay is an identical layout to mine so your answer helped clearly label everything for me. I really appreciate it!

My next question would pertain to electrical wires directly in front of the brake master cylinder. There’s a lot of wires and electrical cables just sitting in the engine bay. What’s the best way to trace where these wires go? Are they okay to plug and unplug?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Most all the wires that are original were designed with connectors that were unique so that when they were all disconnected they would only fit back with what they were originally connected with. That being said, with the age they may have been replaced with a generic. So it is best to put masking tape on each side of the connector with a matching number to assure correct reconnection. And with age plus the heat/cold cycles of engine running and winter, the plastic connectors become brittle. So you need to be careful or you will be re-doing those that break. The wires in that area can be many things. For sure for that year is to the MAF sensor. No telling what had been done over the years. I had a volkswagen that I traced wires that went around the car 3 times to nothing. Probably old stereo amp power and who knows what. Wiring problems are the headache I most hate on vehicles.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
acrockett6
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
Most all the wires that are original were designed with connectors that were unique so that when they were all disconnected they would only fit back with what they were originally connected with. That being said, with the age they may have been replaced with a generic. So it is best to put masking tape on each side of the connector with a matching number to assure correct reconnection. And with age plus the heat/cold cycles of engine running and winter, the plastic connectors become brittle. So you need to be careful or you will be re-doing those that break. The wires in that area can be many things. For sure for that year is to the MAF sensor. No telling what had been done over the years. I had a volkswagen that I traced wires that went around the car 3 times to nothing. Probably old stereo amp power and who knows what. Wiring problems are the headache I most hate on vehicles.
I’ll stick to the basics for now then, the wiring is pretty convoluted so I’ll worry about the electrical if I have an electrical issue. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
timd
AF Regular

It might be wise to purchase a Haynes or Chilton manual for your truck. You can probably get a used one on ebay for next to nothing. Not sure which one would be best for your particular year. One or the other may have a wiring diagram. Good luck!!!

Last edited by timd; 12-16-2020 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
timd is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series