Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
mac10334
AF Newbie

2000 Jeep Key stuck in ignition please help.

hello i have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee that yesterday the key got stuck in the ignition and i cannot remove it. At the same time i used to have to press the brake to shift from park to any gear now it just moves freely without using the brake.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you
mac10334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dksob81 Send a message via AIM to dksob81 Send a message via MSN to dksob81 Send a message via Yahoo to dksob81
Re: 2000 Jeep Key stuck in ignition please help.

try turning the key to start the jeep then shut off and remove the key. If that doesn't work turn the steering wheel while shutting off to remove the key (if it doesn't work one way try turning the other way).......
dksob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
VSENG09
AF Newbie

Take It To Wal Mart And Let Sand It Down A Little Bit Try That.
VSENG09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
VSENG09
AF Newbie

Take It To Wal Mart And Let Sand It Down A Little Bit Try That.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
fordin K
AF Regular

the reason you can move in anygear now is that it doesnt go in park right ?! if key can't be removed, try with the palm of your hand, wack it in towards column( like jamming it in farther ) then see if you can turn it out. if you do get it out of if you can 't get it out, turn key to on position, look under steering column for a button looking thing along key cylinder, push that while pulling out whole assembly. bring it to a dealer (or shop) to remove key. making sure to tape around cylinder so tumblers don't come out. if you want a tip on how to make it smoother turning( my guess is it probably binds and won't start also) try turning the page.
fordin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
VSENG09
AF Newbie

You What.. Give This Ashot.. Drive Nornal To Like Canadain Tire Or Some Car Place And Come Out Like Your In A Rush And Then Kindy Walk Up To The Guys That Working There And They Will Come To Check It Out... But I Think Someone Might Put Crazy Gule In There..
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 AM   #7
mac10334
AF Newbie

The jeep works just fine, It will go into park and it drives fine. The key is stuck in the ignition and and it shifts into gear without having press the brake. I think it may have something to do with the neutral safey switch.

Please only reply if you know what could help, comments like going to walmart or canada are just stupid!

I am looking for help from people who know about cars........
Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
fordin K
AF Regular

did you try hitting the key in "shocking" it further. I had a couple of those and that's what it took to free it out of the cylinder. on the dodge's and jeeps, the tumblers in the cylinder itself has to be individually deburred and sanded so it moves freely in and out. most dealers and shops suggest changing cylinder or replacing tumblers then grease it up to make it slippery. I have found debrring and sanding it (which takes more time) and then after everything is smooth working, use POWDERED GRAPHITE which can be found at any lock/ key place even wal mart. haven't had any return after that. ooh and for park neutral safety switch, it just enables you to start teh vehicle most of the time. there usuallu is a pushrod that releases when you push brake pedal that allows shifter to move.
fordin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
mac10334
AF Newbie

Anyone else have any ideas???
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #10
Bob D.
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10334
Anyone else have any ideas???
Yes, take it to a locksmith, the lock cylinder has failed. Did you have an occasional problem turning the key prior to it becoming stuck in the lock? This is a known issue with the cylinders on the '99 to 2001 Grands.
The replacement cylinders were improved in 2002.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #11
JeepForever
AF Regular

When you say you can shift it freely between gears, is this when the engine is NOT running? If so, this may be a symptom, and not a problem in itself.

If the car is in gear and turned off, the key cannot be removed until the car is shifted into park. There might be a problem with the shift mechanism, and the ignition is holding to the key because it doesn't sense that the car is in "Park".

I recommend wiggling the shifter (be sure it's firmly in 'Park'), then wiggle the steering wheel while trying to remove the key. Sometimes the wheel holds onto the key until it realizes that the car is in "Park".

Otherwise, does the Jeep function properly? Or is it parked while you await a solution?

Please let us know whether or not this helps.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
mac10334
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForever
When you say you can shift it freely between gears, is this when the engine is NOT running? If so, this may be a symptom, and not a problem in itself.

If the car is in gear and turned off, the key cannot be removed until the car is shifted into park. There might be a problem with the shift mechanism, and the ignition is holding to the key because it doesn't sense that the car is in "Park".

I recommend wiggling the shifter (be sure it's firmly in 'Park'), then wiggle the steering wheel while trying to remove the key. Sometimes the wheel holds onto the key until it realizes that the car is in "Park".

Otherwise, does the Jeep function properly? Or is it parked while you await a solution?

Please let us know whether or not this helps.
Yes i beleive you are correct. It is something in the shift mechanisn does anyone know what i could check or replace a sensor or ???? Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
mac10334
AF Newbie

And yes the jeep works fine it is parked just because i cannot remove the key. Otherewise works like a champ
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
mac10334
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 2000 Jeep Key stuck in ignition please help.

Ok, Problem solved It was the gear selector button, had a bad spring. Thanks for the help
Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
leenoack
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem being unable to remove the key from my 1999 GC. The button that you hold down on the top rear of the gear shift was jammed by the rubber boot which covers the button. I pulled off the rubber boot and presto the button unjammed and the key was released.
leenoack is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8