Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #31
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
This is really coming along nicely imster

The best bike build to date that you have posted so far
Nicely detailed - are the exhaust cans the plastic Tamiya parts or are those from the Hobby Design kit?

Also I think you nailed the exhaust expansion chambers -

Looking forward to more

Cheers
John
Thanks all for your kind comments! Building has really slowed down over the holiday period but hoping to get this done in the near future lol

John: Thanks mate really appreciate the comments mate. The exhaust cans are plastic one from the kit, the end parts (exhaust tips) are metal parts from the Tamiya fork detail set. I rubbed some 2000 grit on them to take the chrome effect off and give it a more satin looking finish.
imster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #32
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imster View Post
Thanks all for your kind comments! Building has really slowed down over the holiday period but hoping to get this done in the near future lol

John: Thanks mate really appreciate the comments mate. The exhaust cans are plastic one from the kit, the end parts (exhaust tips) are metal parts from the Tamiya fork detail set. I rubbed some 2000 grit on them to take the chrome effect off and give it a more satin looking finish.

The exhaust cans look awesome Imster

The silver/chrome paint on the exhaust cans looks the part - very realistic metal sheen that is not often achieved on plastic. What manufacturer silver/chrome paint did you use?

I was considering buying the more expensive Hobby Design kit for the 84' NSR500 just for the metal exhaust cans, but after seeing what you have achieved - the 4 metal exhaust cans are unnecessary.

I might have some questions later for you Imster on how you achieved the look on the expansion chambers - they are as close to the picture of the actual pipes as I think is possible.

I have seen your other work on escale and here on AF and you have improved your building skills and attention to detail significantly.
I'm quite sure many of the other bike builders will agree with me on that.

don't be concerned about slow going - you take as long as you need and don't compromise this excellent build in a rush to finish.

Cheers
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #33
sebasoakley
AF Regular

Simply amazing. I Love this photo ,awesome, man!!

So next update should show the engine installed into the frame![/quote]
Old 01-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #34
Niro750
AF Regular

Stunning, the metal finishes are perfect
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #35
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
The exhaust cans look awesome Imster

The silver/chrome paint on the exhaust cans looks the part - very realistic metal sheen that is not often achieved on plastic. What manufacturer silver/chrome paint did you use?

I was considering buying the more expensive Hobby Design kit for the 84' NSR500 just for the metal exhaust cans, but after seeing what you have achieved - the 4 metal exhaust cans are unnecessary.

I might have some questions later for you Imster on how you achieved the look on the expansion chambers - they are as close to the picture of the actual pipes as I think is possible.

I have seen your other work on escale and here on AF and you have improved your building skills and attention to detail significantly.
I'm quite sure many of the other bike builders will agree with me on that.

don't be concerned about slow going - you take as long as you need and don't compromise this excellent build in a rush to finish.

Cheers
John
Thanks John

The cans were painted with a combo of different colours, after making the weld lines and drilling holes for the PE bolts, I primed with Alclad grey microfiller primer. After the primer I polished it all with 8k micromesh and painted it with TS-29 through my airbrush. After that I used 2K clear to bring up the shine of the black, then painted with spazstix chrome for the end parts and the middle was done with Alclad aluminum. Hope that helps!

I went through the steps of how I did the expansion chambers on another forum so I will look that up and post it here in a few minutes.

Yeah the Panigale was my first build after not doing any modelling for about 15 odd years so it was more of a case of getting myself back into it slowly but surely

Yes I will make sure to keep things ticking over at my own pace as I have a habit of wanting to get it done near the end too quickly lol!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:10 AM   #36
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasoakley View Post
Simply amazing. I Love this photo ,awesome, man!!

So next update should show the engine installed into the frame!
[/quote]

Thanks man! Yes the engine is installed now

Here is a picture:

Old 01-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #37
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro750 View Post
Stunning, the metal finishes are perfect
Thanks Niro! I'm trying my best not to touch it too much so that the metal finish isnt ruined!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #38
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Thanks Imster for the paint procedure on the exhaust cans - I have a small bottle of the Spastix Chrome, but have never used it because I believe it's really made for RC Lexan bodies and thus has acetone in it which can melt styrene.
So I've been hesitant to try to use it on plastic model styrene, but you appear to have had no issues using it.
Therefore I am going to have to give it a try on a white plastic spoon, that's what I told myself when I bought the Spastix Chrome when I was looking for better chrome metal effects, but settled on Alclad and Kotsutte gin san powder.

If you procedure for painting the expansion chambers in on eScale - I can go and look at your postings there as I am a member with the same user name as here on AF, unless you still want to post that procedure here on AF for others.

I have seen your bike builds on eScale along with Mark's "Marco"
You two guys have built some nicely done bikes.
I also bought a bike jig from Mark - I think maybe I was even the first one to buy one when I first saw him use it.
I was also the one who asked him to make me a new set of the wood blocks, because his original jig was too narrow for an inline 4 engine bike.
I was building the Kawaski ZX-RR motoGP bike and the original jig was too narrow for it.
Marco made me the wood blocks for a setup like you are using where the aluminum bar stock is not completely recessed into the edges of the wood blocks.
Marco's original jig was built for the YZR250 "Harada" bike he was building at the time and that 1/12 Tamiya kit is quite narrow compared to the 500cc 2-stroke GP bikes and the newer motoGP bikes that are available now.

the areas on the body work you painted instead of the brittle decals - was that Zero paints colors?

Cheers Imster
John
Old 01-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #39
imster
AF Newbie

Sorry about the delay in posting this but here is the steps I took to get the expansion chambers the way they are:

1) So to begin I obviously filled the gaps, sanded, rinse and repeat a few times till there are no visible join lines.
2) First light coat is grey Alclad microfiller primer
3) check join lines again and do corrections again
4) Do weld lines, for the exhausts I used some 0.25mm solder wire, glue the wire where it needs to go then once the CA glue has set I used a brass tube cut at a 45 degree angle to make weld indentations
5) second coat of primer again grey alclad
6) sand the primer down with 8000 grit micro-mesh
7) spray semi-gloss black, I used TS-29 decanted into my airbrush
8) spray 1 coat of 2k clear, this should bring up the shine of the black
9) spray chrome metaliser, in this case I used Spaz Stix chrome

Now after this things are a little more based on feel and look, but I used various Alclad metal shades to achieve the different metal shades on the exhaust, the Alclad colours I used were pale burnt metal, hot metal sepia, hot metal red, hot metal blue, transparent orange, pale gold, steel, exhaust manifold and jet exhaust. Its hard to say which of these I used when, because it was just how the exhausts were looking and what shades were required as it was being done. Total time of painting was around about 1 hour including flushing my airbrush quite a few times so it wasnt a short job lol

I hope this helps, any other questions feel free to ask
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #40
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Thanks Imster for the paint procedure on the exhaust cans - I have a small bottle of the Spastix Chrome, but have never used it because I believe it's really made for RC Lexan bodies and thus has acetone in it which can melt styrene.
So I've been hesitant to try to use it on plastic model styrene, but you appear to have had no issues using it.
Therefore I am going to have to give it a try on a white plastic spoon, that's what I told myself when I bought the Spastix Chrome when I was looking for better chrome metal effects, but settled on Alclad and Kotsutte gin san powder.

If you procedure for painting the expansion chambers in on eScale - I can go and look at your postings there as I am a member with the same user name as here on AF, unless you still want to post that procedure here on AF for others.

I have seen your bike builds on eScale along with Mark's "Marco"
You two guys have built some nicely done bikes.
I also bought a bike jig from Mark - I think maybe I was even the first one to buy one when I first saw him use it.
I was also the one who asked him to make me a new set of the wood blocks, because his original jig was too narrow for an inline 4 engine bike.
I was building the Kawaski ZX-RR motoGP bike and the original jig was too narrow for it.
Marco made me the wood blocks for a setup like you are using where the aluminum bar stock is not completely recessed into the edges of the wood blocks.
Marco's original jig was built for the YZR250 "Harada" bike he was building at the time and that 1/12 Tamiya kit is quite narrow compared to the 500cc 2-stroke GP bikes and the newer motoGP bikes that are available now.

the areas on the body work you painted instead of the brittle decals - was that Zero paints colors?

Cheers Imster
John
The Spazstix Chrome I used was "Ultimate Mirror Chrome" and on the bottle it also says "For Plastic Parts", I have a feeling you might not have the same one? Although this does have acetone in it I didnt notice any adverse reactions when I used it.

Yes Marco and I are doing a buddy build on this kit and his is taking shape very nicely! The jigs are awesome and perfect for anyone who is serious about building motorcycle kits.

The areas of the bodywork that are blue were painted on with Tamiya TS-15 Blue decanted and sprayed through my airbrush, the colour match is pretty much perfect with the decals (maybe a tad darker)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #41
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for all the explanations Imster and exhaust expansion chamber procedures.

Also the paint on the body work - so you used the "red" of the decals then?

And lastly - I'll google the Spaz Stix "ultimate mirror chrome" and see if it is a different product from the bottle that I have.

Cheers Imster
John

I'll check out Marco's build to see how it stands up to yours.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #42
imster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Thanks for all the explanations Imster and exhaust expansion chamber procedures.

Also the paint on the body work - so you used the "red" of the decals then?

And lastly - I'll google the Spaz Stix "ultimate mirror chrome" and see if it is a different product from the bottle that I have.

Cheers Imster
John

I'll check out Marco's build to see how it stands up to yours.
No problem John

All the bodywork was done with paint, Zero paints do the Red and White and as earlier stated the Blue was a Tamiya. The Yellow parts with black borders are decals.

Yes have a look becasue it is very possible that you have a lexan only paint rather than the plastic paint.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #43
imster
AF Newbie

A very quick update!

I am back on the bench, albeit not as much as before the holidays because I still have family over visiting us.

I managed to get the steering damper completed. I had the Top Studio damper detail set, but after inspection, the configuration, length etc are all wrong so I assume that the steering damper kit is for a different year NSR500 (Top Studio didnt specify what year NSR500 the kit is for). I did use the metal rod that was in the Top Studio set though so not all my money was wasted!

Next parts to tackle will be either the front forks or the controls and instruments. Both will be pretty intensive as there will be a fair amount of added details.

Thanks and C&C welcome []
Old 01-14-2016, 02:30 AM   #44
imster
AF Newbie

I attached the rear swingarm to the chassis without any dramas

Anyone who is eagle eyed might have noticed the rearsets missing on the previous pics. This is because I had lots of clearance issues with the rearsets pushing into the swingarm and kinda flaying out so I made some adaptors to create more clearance, I think i got the measurements spot on because as you can see from this picture the clearance looks perfect!

I also plumbed the rear brake cable, Its a silver braided cable with a plastic spiral sheath and it will be attached to the bar that runs underneath the swingarm

Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #45
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Not often I spot builds that looks so flawless on such close range. This rear wheel/swing arm set up is absolutely beautiful. Details added makes the build look really natural and you have no paint chipping at all that I can spot. Not even the rear tyre gives it away as a model kit. I'm absolutely stunned. My hat off.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1/12 , 1984 , honda , nsr500 , tamiya
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes