Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
TAnthony
AF Newbie

I would like to thank all who posted Jeep stalling remedies on this site. My daughter's 94 Jeep began stalling in the same manner as many of you have experienced. At fist it was stalling once every five days or so ,(and start right back up)then every day then every time it warmed up 15-20 minutes. It was the crank shaft positioning sensor. Sixty bucks and 20 minutes work and Buta-BING Buta-BOOM

Last edited by TAnthony; 02-14-2004 at 10:05 PM.
TAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
kplusten
AF Newbie

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

One of my Jeeps had a bad crankshaft position sensor causing the stalling, but the other two had water in the gas. Something so hard to detect but easy to fix. On my 95 and 99, they were stalling occasionally at lights. Two bottles of dry gas each remedied the problem and I changed where I bought gas. In the winter, I put in a bottle of 95 cent dry gas each tankful, never had another stalling problem. Might wanna give this a try!
kplusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:21 PM   #18
Dale Aeppli
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaige
There is a fuse box under the hood of the 93 Cherokee - The problem will be a yellow small 20 amp fuse (you will know this by removing with engine run and it stalls and fails to restart) - this disables the vehicles ignition control module preventing the vehicle from starting or continuing to run - over the years this fuse can become corroded because it is outside the vehicle and loose, thus the sparactic stalling in motion - the dealer will replace sensors cause they appear to be old and cost you money, but they fail to mention as a safety they will disalble the battery and sometimes remove the fuse and in most cases replace it with a fresh one without thinking that this was probably the problem - clean all your fuse connections outside the vehicle. Try this before spending a lot of cash.
THE FUSE THAT SUAIGE IS REFFERING TO IS FOR THE AUTO SHUTDOWN ENGINE CONTROLER IT CONTROLS THE ASD CONTROL IN CASE OF A ROLLOVER OR ACCIDENTAL FIRE jeepman600@aol.com
Dale Aeppli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:36 PM   #19
Marsman
AF Newbie

HELP, my 97 Grand Cherokee is drivng me crazy too!!!!

Same stall problem: started out every once in a while; now it's often.
Isolated it to an electrical ignition problem...not a fuel issue.

Read my repair manual. Checked wires and coil resistence: all within specification. Cleaned all electrical connections and grounds. No go. Replaced distributor (cam shaft was loose) which came with a new camshaft sensor. No go. After reading lots of posts on the CPS issues, replaced crankshaft position sensor (you have to be an contortionist)... unfortunately, the problem still there. Now, I'm getting depressed.

It's actually out there running now, but that means nothing as it continues to stall at idle or cut out and in on the highway in a very random fashion. But, tonight I noticed that it wants to run after it's been on and off for a while. Not that this means anything as it's gone for days, weeks, months before doing it again, even though it's gotten to the point of daily now. However, I am noticing that maybe the problem SEEMS to be more of an issue when it first runs, but gets better after the ignition system has run a bit...not sure on that one though, but now after an hour it won't stall. It'll be interesting to see how it responds tomorrow morning.

Can a coil, be so intermittent....I usually think of them as breaking down in heat or just failing altogther, but usually not like this? The electrical resistance is right on the money.

Other symtoms: The ABS light comes on and stays on occasionally then goes out if I stop and restart motor. Once the fuel gauge dove to empty and gave it's low fuel warning but went back up. Since then I discovered a bad ground to battery from chassis but that has been fixed and ABS still lights.

When engine is running, if I nudge the ignition switch forward slightly, the ABS comes on but goes out when I release switch. Thought maybe the ignition switch is failing. Or this could be normal. ABS light comes on a lot.

Cleaned, even swapped all relays in power distribution box (they're all the same part number), still a no go. Cleaned all connectors, still a no go.

I'll check some of the leads mentioned, especially shorts, but I'm running out of ideas and have a lot on my plate now, so spending time trying to fix this guy is straining my patience. So, now I'm driving my big Chevy one ton dually truck with it's 454 and it's gas appetite is going to kill my budget at todays prices.

Is there another location for an auto shut-down control and/or relay then what's available in the power distribution box?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Marsman; 10-07-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #20
smith_motorworks
AF Newbie

Am having same problem. Replaced Crank Sensor, Distributor, O2 sensors. IT backfired the other day and knocked something loose in the catalytic converter. Ever since then it still does it but not near as much. It still gives "Intermittent Loss of Cam/Crank sensor" code.
smith_motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #21
lukep
AF Newbie

I had a problem that was similar to this, it ended up being a small o-ring in some sort of idle valve. The o-ring was chopped up and causing problems. It cost $1.48 to fix it. Pulled out the idle valve, cleaned it and replaced the o-ring. What happened before I fixed it is the vehicle would just drop idle, almost like it quit, and then magically start and keep running, all within a half second. This happened randomly.

This might not have anything to do with your problem, but it's similar, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
lukep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
elzbeth
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

SOLUTION !! It was a solution for my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling problem.This should help. I read the solution on another car forum some time ago when my 98 Jeep Cherokee had the same stalling problems. I was frantically searching the web for an answer! The screws are too long and are shorting out the board inside the ECM. What you do is back out the screws, located under the plugs, on the front of the ECM (husband says they're a booger to get to and they are torx head screws). Back out the screws 2 full turns and you're problems should be solved (just like mine were). Give it a try. The guy who posted this on the other forum is one smart guy!! My Jeep is back to normal after backing out the screws. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it worked!!! Now I want to share what I learned from the Forum Guy with everyone who owns a Jeep. Good Luck!
elzbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #23
Triksr4kds
AF Newbie

Cool Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

I did this too, and it worked great... for a couple months... then the problems came back worse... Just speaking of my experience, but this was only a temporary fix. I ended up getting a new PCM/ECM and now it's finally fixed. The aftermarket one I got is 'slimmer' than the original and at first I thought they sent me the wrong one. Anyway. Glad it's working for you, but don't hold your breath ;-).
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #24
butterj
AF Newbie

my gf's pinto wagon stalls when you stop too.
butterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #25
Eugene2000
AF Newbie

Had the same stalling problem with our jeep (2000 Wrangler 4.0L). It was stalling intermittently, and seemed to not follow any regular pattern, except that it never died unless it was at idle. It was idling up to about 800rpm, and down to around 3-500rpm while sitting stopped in drive.

Removing and cleaning the plunger and bore of the Idle Air Controller fixed the idling up and down problem, and replacing the PCV valve stopped the stalling problem.

Best way to check and see if this is your issue, I've found, is to unplug the PCV valve hose from where it connects to the air intake manifold, at which point, the engine should increase it's rpms to about 1500 or so. Then put your thumb over the hose barb from where you took the PCV line loose from. It should die immedietly. If not, then you have a vacuume leak somewhere.

If cleaning the bore and plunger of your IAC doesn't fix your idling troubles, then replace it. Together, a PCV valve and an IAC motor will run you about $60-70.
Eugene2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
crazydriverz
AF Regular

i have a 03' grand cherokee that does the same thing. stalls when you pull your foot off the gas when coming to a stop or slowing down. however it starts right back up with no prob.
crazydriverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #27
dornier34
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dornier34
Thumbs up Re: Jeep Stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
Same problem, here. I have been through the wringer with this old gal (93 Cherokee 4.0 with 250,000 miles).

I've replaced the Crank Sensor, the Cam Sensor, Timing chain, coil, wires/plugs/rotor & cap and the ECM (computer)! Still a problem. I suspect a wiring problem as I have already had to fix the junction where the injectors tie together with the lead from the ECM. Took me two months of afternoon and weekend probing with a VOM to finally find it!

Anyway, if anyone has a quick fix or a sure fire diagnostic approach, I'm all ears!
Hi there ok try to replace temperature sensor , cheap 15 dollars part replace and you will se the results good luck dornier34
dornier34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #28
crazydriverz
AF Regular

i have had the same problem changed the tps.
crazydriverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #29
jjjeepy
AF Newbie

Cool Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

I was driving on saturday the check engine light came on. Had the codes read and the result said system to lean. On Sunday drove for about 30 min and parked the jeep. No problems. Was leaving, the 97 Cherokee drove fine and then stalled. Waited for a few minutes. Drove fine and stalled. repeated the process several times. Got it on the highway to blow anything stuck in the system out but instead stalled again. Towed to the dealers and they diagnosedand said that the Crankcase senser was shot. So will see what happens. For those with the ABS issue. Mine was intermitten. Till it stayed on all the time. Found out it was the abs unit. That hurt. expensive.
jjjeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #30
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

a crank sensor will cause the vehicle to stall but is more than likely wouldn't cause a fuel system lean dtc....possible your pump is also failing...
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote