Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
twayne24
AF Newbie

2003 chevy astro blower motor

Hi, I have a 2003 chevy astro that the blower motor doesn't work on high. All the other settings work. Any ideas??

Thanks.
twayne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
twayne24
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 chevy astro blower motor

I removed the washer and coolant res to get to the resistor pack. I took it apart and found that the plug melted a little on the high speed side. I cleaned it up and plug back in. Works fine. Hope that does the trick. Thanks for the location of pack in otheer threads. Help out a lot.
twayne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
astro44
AF Newbie

I'm having the same problem with my '98. I've replaced the switch as well as the resistor but still no blower on high. When I first replaced the resistor it started working perfect in the gaarage so I figured problem solved. The next day after about 15 minutes of running on high it just stopped all other fan settings work. Then I replaced the switch. Still no blower on high. I hate to replace the blower as it seems electical. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On a side note, the replaced resistor was taken off another '98 from a junk yard (trying to save a little) so I'm not sure if this is contributing to bad connection?
astro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

There are 2 orange wires in the electrical connector at the resistor pack: The larger one must show battery voltage at all times. The smaller one must show battery voltage with the key on and the blower switch in the high speed position. Post your results.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
astro44
AF Newbie

I did check the wires and the larger red wire checked at 12v and the smaller orange did not register. Funny thing was when I inserted the probe in the resistor to get a reading I had the fan on high and it kicked on. I started wiggling the red wire and the fan would kick on and off. I pulled the resistor to examine closer and notice the connection where the larger red wire is looks burnt. The male connector may be fried ? I'm thinking to go to the local junk yard and pull a wire harness and splice in? Certainly does not seem like a blower motor.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Common problem to burn at the connector to the relay/resistor. While you're at the boneyard, might as well get the resistor AND the harness connector. Do yourself a favor and solder the connector on, don't use crimp connectors.

Another option is to bypass the relay and install an external 40amp relay They're about $5 and a couple feet of wire, a few terminals, 20 minutes time and you're done. If you need directions on how to do it, just ask.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
astro44
AF Newbie

I have been trying to get this annoying fan issue resolved for a while (low priority). The discoveries today were awesome. Fingers crossed. The beauty of this is SANTA brought me soldering gun this year and now I have an oportunity to use. Thanks. I will post results.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

pretty cold in Lansing, gonna need that blower. Say Hi to Jennifer and wish her farewell for me if you see her

Make sure you use 60/40 lead/tin rosin core solder.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
astro44
AF Newbie

I finally completed the electrical connector replacement and and the blower works great... finally. I soldered the wires and shrink wrapped the spliced wires. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
vanlanen
AF Newbie

Hello I have the same problem, ho fan on HI. It appears the connector on the Big orange wire is burnt/corroded I would like to by pass or may need a new reelay. ...old_master I was hoping you could let me know how how to add a relay as you spoke about in the post ..it would be appreciated.
vanlanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlanen View Post
Hello I have the same problem, ho fan on HI. It appears the connector on the Big orange wire is burnt/corroded I would like to by pass or may need a new reelay. ...old_master I was hoping you could let me know how how to add a relay as you spoke about in the post ..it would be appreciated.
What year and model is your vehicle?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
vanlanen
AF Newbie

It is a 2003 GMC Safari. Fan works except on Hi. If I understood correctly it may be a relay problem? Pulled the resistor assembly out earlier today and the connector is slightly melted on the first pin (Large fage orange wire 12Volts). but fan does work at lower speeds.

thanks in advance for your help
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

First, make sure the small orange wire at the resistor/relay has battery voltage with the key on, mode switch on heat, and the blower switch in the high position.

How to bypass the OEM high blower relay

You’ll need a relay, some 14 gauge wire, a few terminals, a soldering gun, rosin core solder, electrical tape, and about 15 minutes of time.
Most auto parts stores carry the terminals, and relays that are rated at 40 amps that look similar to this for around $5 USD:

Mount the relay to a secure spot under the hood near the heater blower motor so that it will not interfere with anything. On the Astro Safari, there is a flat spot on the firewall just above the blower motor that works well. The terminals should be facing down so water will not enter the relay. There are 5 terminals on the relay, only 4 of them will be used to bypass the high blower relay.
To make the wire harness for the relay, you’ll need four 14 gauge pieces of wire about 18” long. On one end of each wire, solder on a female spade terminal.

On one of the 4 wires, solder an eyelet terminal on:

You should now have three 18” wires with a female spade terminal on one end of each wire. You should also have one 18” wire with a female spade terminal on one end, and an eyelet terminal on the other end.
Attach the eyelet terminal to body ground, near the relay, using a screw. Connect the other end to the relay terminal #86. There are 2 orange wires going to the original blower resistor/relay. Cut both of them close to the electrical connector. Using one of the 18” wires, solder it to the larger orange wire and connect it to relay terminal #30. Using another 18” wire, solder it to the smaller orange wire and connect it to relay terminal #85. Using the last 18” wire, connect it to relay terminal #87. At the blower motor there is a purple wire, don’t cut the wire, strip a section long enough to solder the wire from relay terminal #87.

Neatly tie up the wires so they don’t interfere with anything, and you’re done.

Any questions, just ask.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to old_master For This Useful Post:
AlwaysLearnin (12-28-2019), RonniesCamaro67 (08-20-2012), TaxBully (08-14-2016)
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
vanlanen
AF Newbie

Pretty straight forward... I just need to go get a relay and connectors Yes there is power to the small orange wire when switch is in the high position. No purple wire to the fan ...just red and black, The red carries the power so I'll splice into that one.
Thanks a lot for the instructions!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

OEM feed wire was purple, could be the resistor has been replaced, probably due to a bad relay Red wire should be the one you need, make sure it has battery voltage with the blower on, or you'll toast the new relay. When you get done with the bypass, the replacement relay is far more substantial and should outlast the vehicle. Keep us posted.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies