Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Games > Gran Turismo Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #106
MatLax
AF Newbie

Re: things you would like in GT5

I had this huge message I took 30 minutes to write and it got erased, so let's start again...

The developpers of the game would probably want to have cars like Ferrari, Porsche and Lambo, but, the only problem is, do the manufacturers want their cars included in this game, or CAN THEY HAVE their cars included in this game?

Let me explain, when the first GT was developped, Sony didn't think it would have as much success as the serie had, but it ended up being one of the most successfull game on the PS1. Now, they probably went and tried to deal with every car manufacturers out there but Need For Speed was released first and maybe the manufacturers had an exclusivity deal with Electronic Arts, any good developer getting a deal with a major car dealer such as Ferrari or Lambo would probably try to have the exclusivity on it (and I know that if I was developing games, that's exactly what I would do, and I would pay some good money for it, EA started developing games in 1982, so they had a lot of experience, Sony started in the mid 1990's, wich would you trust the best to put out a good game? (considering you're in the mid 90's) and who would you think had the most money to invest? EA or a newly formed studio in the video game department of Sony?)

So the guys developing GT probably can't have Ferrari and Lambo because they're attached to EA already

Now, for the "let's have every cars ever made!" some people proposed. Okay, let's do that and wait another ten years before the game is released . Let's take a random "everybody-loves-it" car, the Nissan Skyline. This car was released in the 50's and since had about 70 different versions (just the last release of the GT-R in 1999 had 11 versions) and I'm just talking about the differents engines there, you must also consider that through the years it was sold as a 2-doors coupe, 4-doors sedan, Station wagon and a 4-doors hatchback (the R30 had all those versions sold at the same time). Just the 70 different engines count for nearly 10% of the GT4 car database (actually in GT4 you have 40 variations of the skyline).

Now imagine if they were to do that for every cars out there, let's take a small car, nothing really racy, nothing spectacular, but a car that everybody know, the Chevy Sprint/Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro/Pontiac Firefly. Let's say, in the game, for it to be less trouble, they put all versions as the Chevy Sprint. There are 4 MK's for the models outside of America (I don't count the new Suzuki Swift) and 5 MK's for the models inside America. We have

MK1->Engines: 1.0L, 1.0L turbo, 1.3L SOHC 8 valves, 1.3L DOHC -------- Models: 3 doors hatchback, 5 doors hatchback

MK2->Engines: 1.0L XFI, 1.0L, 1.0L turbo (canada only), 1.3L SOHC 8 valves, 1.3L DOHC, 1.6L -------- Models: 3 doors hatchback, 5 doors hatchback, 4 doors sedan (Canada only), 2 doors convertible

Mk3->Engines: 1.0L XFI, 1.0L, 1.3L SOHC 8 valves, 1.3L DOHC, 1.6L ------- Models: 3 doors hatchback, 5 doors hatchback, 4 doors sedan

Mk4->Engines: 1.0L (only model available outside America), 1.3L SOHC 8 valves -------- Models: 3 doors hatchback (only model available outside America, still with the old design, America got a remodelling wich went to Japan in 1998), 4 doors sedan; Subaru Justy (outside American model) wich was a rebadged Swift with 4wd

mk5->Engines: 1.0L, 1.3L SOHC 16 valves (note the change in the number of valves)

So, as you can see, even a lousy car like a geo metro would be a lot of trouble to create since there's a lot of versions (7 engines, total of 8 body design), now you have to make a 3d model of the car for the game, then, program every models (8 of them) with the engines they got (like the convertible only had the 1.0L but the sedan had 1.3L SOHC or 1.6L) plus check that every car has the right transmission (the 1.3 DOHC never had an automatic transmission, the automatic was a 3 speeds). Imagine the kind of trouble they would have to go through...

Now, that was easy, it's only a small economy car. Now, the Toyota Corolla got I don't know how many versions, but they would have to hire someone just to check for every one of them because if you think 70 is a lot for the Skyline, the Corolla would have even more [just checked on wikipedia, too much stuff to count, go check if you want]

Now, add the engine swap some people proposed. You now have to create your car models dividing the weight in three parts, weight of the car with engine, weight of the car withouth engine, weight of the engine. Plus you now have to know wich engines are direct bolt on and wich ones are difficult swap to calculate the cost of swaping engine from one car to the other. Using the Geo Metro example again, the 1.0L and the 1.0L turbo are direct swap (same engine mount) but the 1.0L to 1.3L is more trouble (have to change the engine mount) and I've even seen someone putting a Buick V6 inside his Metro. Everytime the swap becomes a bit more difficult, you would have to change the cost of the swap. And they would also have to program the weight distribution of the car (because swap you engine and the weight distribution changes, causing the car handling to change), how each and every car reacts with each engine (would probably be a from A to B hp car reacts like X, from B to C hp car reacts like Y.... but do that for every cars in the game now...)

They could also add the ability to change your car from FWD to RWD or 4WD and vice versa, because you can do it in real life. But it's the same trouble as for the engine swap.

It very easy to talk but to put it in the game would be way too much trouble, just having 720 cars is a miracle (I mean, who needs more than 720 cars? sure, you won't have every little cars you could think of, but there's probably something you'll like as much somewhere else in the game)

For the city environment between races, not a good idea, it becomes old very fast. What they could do is make it as a track, so you have the option of free driving is you want but don't actually have to. They could make it so that you have a big map that includes multiple environment, you could be driving in the city, then going out in the mountain to try your rally car (or just try your asphalt car on the gravel for the fun of it) then come back on a looooong stretch with prairies on the side and go to the oval stadium in town (why not? ) to try your car...

I don't want anything in particular in the next GT, I just want a good game I'll have fun with and I know they are able to do it.

Oh yeah, no drifting races, keep that for the "ricers" and NFSU, but a training on how to take a corner while drifting would be cool
MatLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #107
MatLax
AF Newbie

holy crap, didn't realise I wrote such a bit rent, well, hope it's a least a bit interesting
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #108
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

I want to have every car, but not on the game to begin with. i want to be able to download the cars i want.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #109
pimp349
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to pimp349

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLax
holy crap, didn't realise I wrote such a bit rent, well, hope it's a least a bit interesting
It is pretty interesting, and you're correct about some things. This thread should be called "realistic things you would like in GT5", for example things like the racing modification from GT and GT2. Having every version of every car is pointless. Be honest, how many of the 720+ cars in GT4 have you actualy used to achieve something and not just drive around the track. I've probably used <50. However, I disagree on the "Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche...." matter. Look at the games that have these manufacturers: Need For Speed, Forza, Project Gotham, GTR FIA GT Racing, and there are others. If Sony wanted to acquire the lisence, I'm sure they would've by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurg
Realizing that the kids who entered Elementary School in 2006 were never alive in the 20th century.
pimp349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #110
MatLax
AF Newbie

maybe EA saw it coming and made a "no selling to sony" agreement =P
Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #111
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man422
I want to have every car, but not on the game to begin with. i want to be able to download the cars i want.
that's actually a very good idea (are you listening sony????????????????)
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #112
MatLax
AF Newbie

Could happen if you're ready to pay for every upgrades, because they need to pay the guys who will make those cars
Old 08-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #113
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

Fine, but i think that would be awesome to do. ( thanks sickcallawayC12)
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 AM   #114
Asianboi
AF Newbie

I would like 92 - 00 honda civic coupes and 4drs.96-98 Civic Sirs' 91-93 integras.94 - 97 integras.integra 4drs.Burnout out til the tires blow.lipkits from mugen.spoon.type r.rims from mugen.spoon.rotas.spoilers from spoon for civic hatchbacks. blow your engine and purchase a new one. drop the car to the ground=). real life car damage.paint jobs. see intercoolers when car is turbo'd.jdm civic and integra fogs.headlight bulb change.different exhaust make different sounds.different blow off valve sounds. adjustable blow off valves. drift session.car show=0 engine swaps=)after market exhaust.n1 angle exhaust.body shop for conversions=)clutch button.blinkers hazardz and reverse lights.Track. dyno tune. alot of other things but cant think of it.lol.and oh yea. street racing gathering. drive up to a group of people and watch drag races and attend them
Asianboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #115
Clutch_Kick
AF Newbie

and now you have just created a new need for speed underground......

talking about stuff like body conversions, the whole point is to make the car seem as stock as possible, how about we drive some real cars and not cars that look like spaceships or cars that are 100 percent carbon-fibre....
Clutch_Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #116
pimp349
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to pimp349

Not to make it seem like I'm picking on you, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianboi
Burnout til the tires blow.
What would be the point of that?

Quote:
headlight bulb change
And that?

Quote:
reverse lights
They have that on some of the cars I think.

Quote:
engine swaps=)
Thast actually pretty cool, they have that in Forza.

Quote:
drive up to a group of people and watch drag races and attend them
Ok...we're talking about the next Gran Turismo, not NFS: Underground.

I dont like them mixing games. I remember in the first two they had a lot of everyday cars like Lexus' and Toyota Camrys' and Ford Taurus'...it would be nice if they include average cars in the next one. They seem to be moving more to only race cars in GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurg
Realizing that the kids who entered Elementary School in 2006 were never alive in the 20th century.
pimp349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #117
S13 drifter
AF Regular

We really need to get polyphony to take a long hard look at some forums.
and what pisses me off the most (off topic) they could've put online in gt4 but chose not to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
S13 drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:28 PM   #118
S13 drifter
AF Regular

Oh one more thing how the f*ck does ur gdamn penguin know all my personal info!!? pimp349!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #119
S13 drifter
AF Regular

I think a good idea is too take a good amount of time making this game graphically and physics wise perfect and make it the last entry of the series... (sounds crazy). But every year make it so u can download and upgrade new tracks and cars that come out. I may take a little longer to make the initial game but i think it'd be worth the wait. Of course then why would u need real life racing if video games were perfect.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #120
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ SlipStream
*F1 Tracks + F1 cars ^_^
if you want F1 cars an F1 tracks go buy an F1 game, Gran Turismo is predominantly road cars.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Games > Gran Turismo Series