Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
surfnobc2
AF Newbie

lifters not fast enought for start up ??!!

i have an 06' X 2wd 22k

when i start it in the morn. it makes a little noise that bothers me.
it makes a little noise that sounds like a little rod knocking only for about 1 second then its gone. i noticed that the rpm's get up to about 2k or so when start up everytime but only makes noise when cold.

i took the truck to nissan and while getting oil changed asked what it could be. they told me that it was the lifters not getting the oil up fast enough and that if they added some kind of somthing to my oil it would make it stop but it didnt .. and i have read about others doing the same thing..

so why would nissan do something like that..?? is the noise ok or not kinda of really ridiculous..

hopefully someone has a solution or just some advise to as what im talking about ..

thanks
thom
surfnobc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: lifters not fast enought for start up ??!!

Don't sweat it. This is inherent to hydraulic lifters, and the ones under tension during shutdown are prone to losing some oil, which is quickly replenished on startup. Meanwhile there is a short period while the lash it out of whack. This is the VQ engine that's been serving for years and is not known for lifter problems.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
eti engineer
AF Regular

Re: lifters not fast enought for start up ??!!

I have a 2007 and it does the same thing. Although I wish it didn't, it seems to be a characteristic of this engine. I have other makes of engines do the same thing throughout the years. I asked if there was some way to program the engine or do something to lower that rpm spike on start-up, but was told "NO" by Nissan. Guess we're just stuck with it.

Later..

eti engineer

10 pm. my yard. your cat. my gun sights. (keep 'em home!!!)
eti engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail