Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
prizmowner
AF Newbie

1999 prizm LSI HVAC fan speed switch problem

Hi there,

I am having a problem with my 1999 PRIZM LSI HVAC fan speed switch. The switch operates only at the highest setting and not at the other settings. Just wanted to know if other PRIZM owners encountered this problem and if they would be kind enough to share the fix for this problem.

Thank you,

1999 Prizm owner
prizmowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
johnholl
AF Regular

Sounds like a faulty [open] blower-speed resistor pack. Let me check the manual to gather how much of a pain accessing this component is.

If its an easy fix, I'd hit the junk yards for the part. GM and Toyota would probibly charge you an arm or leg

John
johnholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
prizmowner
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 prizm LSI fan speed switch problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnholl
Sounds like a faulty [open] blower-speed resistor pack. Let me check the manual to gather how much of a pain accessing this component is.

If its an easy fix, I'd hit the junk yards for the part. GM and Toyota would probibly charge you an arm or leg

John
Hello John,

Thanks a lot for your help. Any further help in determining the blower resistor-pack location and replacement details would be appreciated.

Sharat
prizmowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 AM   #4
Kepha7
AF Newbie

Resistor

The EXACT same thing just happened to my Prism. The resistor that was installed is a bad part. I went to the salvage yards and pulled several of them out and they were all burnt out also. The new (improved) part you need is only about $16 if you get it online. The part number is 89018516. Your resistor should be located under/behind the glove box on the passenger's side. You should see some wires going into a black connector with a grey latch. Pull on the latch and disconnect the wires. There are two screws holding the resistor in place...take those out. The resistor should just pull right out from there. When you put the new resistor back in, just make sure that the latch is facing the same way as before. Here's a pic http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...?ppuser=366905
Kepha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
barfarf
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to barfarf
Re: Resistor

Kepha7 Where online did you order that blow resistor part? I looked online for a while and even used the part number you mentioned but i cant find it. PLease help.

thanks
ps. thanks for the pic it was a big help in finding it.
pps. I have a 1999 Chevrolet Prizm - 3 speed automatic transmission - 1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepha7
The EXACT same thing just happened to my Prism. The resistor that was installed is a bad part. I went to the salvage yards and pulled several of them out and they were all burnt out also. The new (improved) part you need is only about $16 if you get it online. The part number is 89018516. Your resistor should be located under/behind the glove box on the passenger's side. You should see some wires going into a black connector with a grey latch. Pull on the latch and disconnect the wires. There are two screws holding the resistor in place...take those out. The resistor should just pull right out from there. When you put the new resistor back in, just make sure that the latch is facing the same way as before. Here's a pic http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...?ppuser=366905
barfarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #6
Kepha7
AF Newbie

I found the part online at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com Just type in the part number in the search window and it should pop up. I just realized that they add $10 for shipping, so it comes to about $25. I got my part from a Chevy dealer for $30. For the extra $5, I would probably just go and get the part from the dealer...just feels safer and its easier to return or exchange if it doesn't work or you get the wrong part somehow.

Todd
Kepha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
barfarf
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to barfarf
Wink Re: 1999 prizm LSI fan speed switch problem

Thats for the help kepla7. I pulled the burned out motor resistor from behind the glove box. It was easy, only two socket screws to remove. I did NOT even have to remove the glove box.

I have two pictures if anyone wants to look at how burned the thing was...its on my gallery.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...?ppuser=393315

On the part i removed this is what it said.
P/N 52475256
REV. B
07-17-98

So for my 1999 3-speed automatic transmission Chevrolet Prism the part number was #52475256. Different for then what kepla7 mentioned ealier.

I ordered it for $31 here..
https://www.trademotion.com
I could have gotton it at my GM dealer for the same price but i would have to pick it up and i am lazy. This way it will be delivered to my house. I hope this helps someone.

Update-
Darn I just found the same part for $24 total here.
carparts.com

Last edited by barfarf; 06-08-2006 at 03:47 PM.
barfarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
jrehm
AF Newbie

Ditto on the burnt resistor pack. Gotta replace one for the second time when I get around to it.
jrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
ELindy
AF Newbie

It sounds like this is a common problem with the Prizm. I got a new one at the Chevy dealer for $30. Autozone said they could order one for $16 if I came in and paid for it in advance. I'm not sure what you would get from Autozone as far as quality. The one I got from the Chevy dealer is branded ACDelco and it looks to be a lot better quality than the old burned up one. The old resistor is printed on circuit board like plastic and the new one is bonded to a metal plate, I assume for the heat sink properties.
Hopefully it is engineered better and will last.
ELindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
n1ckml007
AF Newbie

My HVAC fan only now blows on the "high" setting. I have a 1999 Prizm with 101k miles on it.

I ordered ACDELCO Part # 158755 {replaces 52475256 #52475256} from http://www.rockauto.com

I will try to re-post when I swap the part in. $25.16 with shipping.
n1ckml007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
n1ckml007
AF Newbie

So fairly easy swap, upside down on passenger seat with a headlamp on and a 7/32 socket . The old resistor pack is burned to crap, the newer part looks like a much better part and now I have a variable fan again for $25!
n1ckml007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
prizm99guy
AF Newbie

Well I'm glad to have found this thread from a google search. The info was very helpful and I replaced the resistor without too much trouble. Thanks guys.
prizm99guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
likemyprism
AF Newbie

Thanks for the spot-on tip which saved me a trip to the garage. I ordered the part from www.rockauto.com and it's arriving in two days. I'm looking forward to using the variable speed fan in the cold weather.

BTW, I get 34 mpg on the highway and love the ride Too bad they discontinued this car.
likemyprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Mithridates
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 1999 prizm LSI fan speed switch problem

Just did this repair on my beater. Worked like a charm. Many thanks to the contributors on this thread.
Mithridates is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism