Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
rugby_7
AF Newbie

Is it time to put my Malibu out to pasture?

Hi sorry for the long post. I have a 1998 chevy malibu 2.4 auto with 213000 miles and very rusty, hollowed out cat, also slight tick from engine for a while (maybe lifter)

I use this car as a commuter car to work. The other day I went to turn it off and it shut off really hard, enough to shake the car. After work I started it up just fine except it had a slight stutter to it. Drove it home but about halfway through the trip it idled rough at stoplights and felt like it would shut off.

I got it home, pulled the plugs, they looked alright maybe a little white but overall normal coloring. Checked the oil and it looked clean, no sign of antifreeze. I thought maybe the cat was plugged (I previously drilled a hole in it and ran a sharpened rebar through it then plugged the hole with muffler sealer. Also did the non-fouler trick to the O2 been like that since January) I opened up the hole and took my big screwdriver and ran it around then ran it. Other than being loud with the hole unplugged still wouldn't idle.

I let it sit overnight then took it for a drive. Got to a stop sign, idle went way down and I could barely stop it (probably not enough power to run brake booster) then a code P0108 Manifold absolute pressure /BARO sensor high input came up. It would also shift hard between each gear.

Tonight I put a new fuel filter on thinking that would help but still no change. Im thinking maybe the lifters got bad enough to where it wont idle. I am going to check tomorrow morning if it is sucking air through exhaust. I also thought maybe it is still getting plugged before the CAT. Any other ideas of what it could be? Im ok with putting the old girl to rest but dont want to send her off if i'm missing something small. Thank you!
rugby_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
rugby_7
AF Newbie

Re: Is it time to put my Malibu out to pasture?

So I just did the paper to exhaust test (hold a piece of paper to the tailpipe and see what it does while running) and it looks like its sucking the paper in and blowing it out. So I think a valve is stuck. Anyone know of a easy way to fix this? Or would I have to open the timing cover and tear it all apart?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Those 2.4 engines are a bad design- notorious for oil pump and timing chain issues- I've transplanted 3 (1998's) engines in my time- oil pumps seize when below zero out- and timing chain slaps and tears out tensioner- and ruins engine since it is an interference engine- sorry- no lifters in your engine- it is an overhead cam design- your timing chain is most likely off a tooth- or nearly worn out - if it has never been serviced- does it make a rattle noise?
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
rugby_7
AF Newbie

Yeah I do hear a rattle noise. The car in all hasn't been too bad. Did its job bought it a couple years ago at 170000 miles for $400 to drive instead of my truck. I think I got my moneys worth out of it.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
ChevMali99
AF Regular

My opinion rule-of-thumb scenario is, other than routine maintenance stuff (oil changes, tune ups, alternator, belt, and brake changes), measuring and comparing the cost of repair vs. cost of new vs. peace of mind, determine the decision.

What is the price of your peace of mind? Is it repairing or buying new? To me rust, transmission, and overheating. Any of these reoccurring on any vehicle will tell me is time to part ways.
ChevMali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu