Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: Suspension Parts Suggestions

I have just done much work on front of old 99 Winnie. Three motor mounts, replacing originals ... @432K, pretty worn out. Sway bar bushings and links. (As well as some cooling hoses that were near failure.) I have already replaced lower control arms and quick-struts a year or so back ... but did not install spacer plates. May go back in for the spacers as I still have occasional steering thump. Rides super well after work.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #17
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARiD View Post
+1 On the Monro, it's definitely the right way to go. These strusts and spring are very close to OEM and they will last for a long time. They also make them for 1999 Windstar, you can check it here.
There's nothing like registering a new account just to promote your own business. To be fair, I do hope you succeed and would certainly consider buying from you, but the quick struts will unfortunately NOT last a very long time.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #18
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
I have just done much work on front of old 99 Winnie. Three motor mounts, replacing originals ... @432K, pretty worn out. Sway bar bushings and links. (As well as some cooling hoses that were near failure.) I have already replaced lower control arms and quick-struts a year or so back ... but did not install spacer plates. May go back in for the spacers as I still have occasional steering thump. Rides super well after work.
12ounce - if you used an aftermarket mount on the front, I HIGHLY recommend springing $59 for an OEM one and swapping it out ASAP. The top and bottom metal parts will separate within 6 months or so when the weld snaps (always at a very inopportune time) and the engine will be banging against the firewall every time you accelerate. I went through this exercise twice before reverting back to OEM. You'll notice the OEM is much "beefier".

The two hydraulic ones are fine with aftermarket. (And OEM is uber-expensive on those, too, so it's a good thing...)

Also, a well-directed spray of silicone will also work in lieu of the spacers.
The Following User Says Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
12Ounce (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #19
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I have the strut spacers on order, but will try the silicone spray "just for science".

Will keep a close eye on front mount ... and will likely change to OEM as you recommend.

Just for info, I have been experimenting with using old mount metal as "armatures' (some welding sometimes needed) and making my own re-manufactured mounts using two part platinum silicone rubber. Its in its infancy, so too early to say what the jury will find. So far my work has been on a Mazda MPV. I will next move to my old Volvo S80 ... crappy OEM mounts!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
Just for info, I have been experimenting with using old mount metal as "armatures' (some welding sometimes needed) and making my own re-manufactured mounts using two part platinum silicone rubber. Its in its infancy, so too early to say what the jury will find. So far my work has been on a Mazda MPV. I will next move to my old Volvo S80 ... crappy OEM mounts!
That could work for the front windstar one. It's the rubber that wears out, after all.

I know you've mentioned various members of your family using your van for trips to Florida and such. I'd hate for that aftermarket mount to break in half when they're out of town. Ours literally broke within a week of returning from a trip to Destin!! (This is from when I lived in the Atlanta area...)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #21
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

FYI, I have not been happy with the Moog brand parts that I purchased for my front suspension, in particular the inner/outer tie rod parts.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

The moog end links are fine. The tie rod ends, while they seem fine, certainly get caked up with rust quickly. Literally one year later, I had to wire brush the castle nut just to even get a socket onto it.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #23
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I agree that the Moog parts rust very quickly. Other brands have a rugged coating that inhibits rust. Also, the Moog brand rods have knurling (for gripping with pliers) instead of having hex flats the hold the rod with a wrench. The combination of the corrosion AND the knurling can lead to a jam nut that can't be removed.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #24
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

The moog tie rod ends I have have a square part to grab with a wrench. They must have gotten cheaper. Their control arms used to be good, but they've obviously cheapened the quality recently; probably outsourced to China with everyone else now.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar