Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Boostadd1ct
AF Newbie

Beat another vette. Do people even mod these cars?

I seem to have run in with 2000+/- model corvette and camaros. All of which a rather disappointing runs.

My 240Z beat it no problem and in my 1g talon tsi it wasn't even a contest.

My last run makes 3 vettes for the talon.

Which really got me thinking if people actually mod their vettes for or is the big bad ls plenty for most?

Granted my cars are rather fast. I still expected more.

Just curious. Do you guys mod past your basics or majority is just that?
Boostadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Beat another vette. Do people even mod these cars?

Something missing here your car is a stock 240??
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Boostadd1ct
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Something missing here your car is a stock 240??
It's a stock Mustang 5.0 engine lol
No my 240Z is a turbo v8., its lighter but doesn't make as much power as my talon does.

Which is why I'm using the talon for comparison since the weight is relatively the same as a corvette. I but was rather disappointed as the people that tried to race me. I I guess they had expected an easy kill?

I remember one guy looked pretty mad when I beat him with his girl on the car. I guess he wanted to show off and failed lol

I feel like this is a common trend with relatively quick cars off the phone factory. I am had the same experience with evos and still owners.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

I can give a good comparison here since I came from the DSM world into the Corvette world.

I can certainly say that there were a lot of things I liked about my DSM considering the fact that it was a serious powerhouse and could still get achieve decent fuel economy. AWD was great for off the line and was even better for handling...

That said, there was also a dark side to DSMs... You can't spell disappointment without DSM... I don't know how many times the thing broke down on me leaving me stranded alongside the road just with daily driving. I loved the car but it was a royal headache always having to rely on another vehicle to be my daily driver.

Then one day I had the chance to get my hands on a Z06 and I jumped on it. I can certainly say that it was hands down better than my Talon all around even though it was pretty much stock. It pulled harder and handled way better than you would expect a stock car to. I was very impressed considering how heavily modified my Talon had been to get it into the low 12s.

As of right now, the only modifications done to the Z06 has been intake, headers/exhaust and a short throw shifter and I can run low 12s all day long at the track without pushing it balls to the wall. Plus I can daily drive the thing and have not had any problems with it leaving me stranded alongside the road.

Now onto you saying you are disappointed with the performance of Corvettes... You have not exactly said how modified your DSM was either. I have seen many DSMs capable of running 10s at the track when done right. Also you said your 240sx with a Ford 5.0 can take with also. But again, you haven't really gone into the details of modifications you've done to it.

Now, I'm not saying you didn't beat them, because I'm sure you probably have beat some. But are you really talking apples to apples here?

You can't really compare a highly modified DSM or 240sx to a bone stock base Corvette or even Camaro for that matter. If you build a setup with intentions to win and you go to the track and actually win against cars that are stock or mildly modified, it's to be expected.

At least realize that not all of us are just buying these cars and expecting to win against anything we go up against. Some of us are smart enough to know when another vehicle is clearly not an even match.

I run low 12s and am quite happy with that for the moment. However, I know down the road I do have goals that will require heavy modifications to be done to the Z06. Single digits will not be achieved by me simply buying a fast bone stock car.

• 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Boostadd1ct
AF Newbie

blackcrow64 you sound like an average dsm owner who mods and doesnt take account the abuse that the car is going to take.

Reliability is an OWNER issue. I do agree that DSM are a picky car and I would consider it a high maintenance. But they are reliable if done right.

what exactly on your car keeps on braking that its off the road all the time?

I mean you start making more power then I hope you have the supported mods and get all the bugs worked out before you actually starts beating on it on the streets.

my 1992 talon tsi is at 490awp at 28psi(love these e85 lol) and hasnt stranded or broke down on me except for one time. this is my daily and i commute 45mi a day

that one time is a ball joint issues. but looks to be like the old owner never tighten it all the way(when it was lowered.) so the bolt was strip off prolly due to not being torque all the way down and the amount of power I was making..
again owner issues. this was my fault too since I lag on doing suspension work when I was making the power. I was asking 20yr old parts to handle a lot of power- thats asking for trouble.

lol ZO6 vs talon.... hmmm technology and cost.
both on the zo6 side.
zo6 is a beast of a car. but if you look at the stuff that comes with that car I wouldn't call it stock at all. thats oem mods lol
if money is no issue and covette comes with 4 seats ill take a zo6 over a talon lol

are you sure zo6 runs 12? I thought it be faster. I was saving extra 7psi in case I get a chance at a z06 but it its 12 i dont think ill need it.

back on topic you pretty much miss the point. I was asking on my post if corvette owners actually mod their cars past the basic bolt on. maybe its just me but I always thought they do (maybe I just havent run into them yet)

and I do understand that people are happy at different power levels. perhaps I simply put the vettes in too high of an expectation. I built this car to compete with vettes thinking it will be an even match. being a college student that wasn't easy lol

and i dont have a 240sx its a 240Z. olds school. turbo v8. so the best of both world lol
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

If you get to the track frequently (where racing is legal) you will likely find Y-Bodies in all levels of trim and tune. There are more 8-second (and faster) new and old Y-Cars than anyone can count (still using the "stock" IRS), because they have been owned and modded for so long and in so many ways, you can probably see almost any combination from cold-air intake "mods" to full on pro-stockers and nitromethane funnies. Some of the street legal and near legal pro-stockers are certain to leave a talon with dull claws and an empty beak, since it's really hard to get 570 cubes of fully blown power out of anything DSM. 30 pounds blown through four liters does not 30 pounds blown through nine liters equate, on any continent.

The dilemma you seem to be facing is that many buyers of these cars seem to think that out of the box they think have something with which they can go racing. We've all seen how that can work out, and your example is just another in a long list. Again, mod-for-mod equalization is a different thing altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufGwDDcE420
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Most vettes are probably never even modified. It'll affect their value negatively. This kid seems like he just wants to crow about his street racer.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Boostadd1ct
AF Newbie

Lol you do know that mod per mod the vette would blow up.
Anyways dont care for tracks. I was curious if owners actually mod their vette and based on you guys answer that means no.

Not a problem atleast i know not to worry about majority on tje streets lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
If you get to the track frequently (where racing is legal) you will likely find Y-Bodies in all levels of trim and tune. There are more 8-second (and faster) new and old Y-Cars than anyone can count (still using the "stock" IRS), because they have been owned and modded for so long and in so many ways, you can probably see almost any combination from cold-air intake "mods" to full on pro-stockers and nitromethane funnies. Some of the street legal and near legal pro-stockers are certain to leave a talon with dull claws and an empty beak, since it's really hard to get 570 cubes of fully blown power out of anything DSM. 30 pounds blown through four liters does not 30 pounds blown through nine liters equate, on any continent.

The dilemma you seem to be facing is that many buyers of these cars seem to think that out of the box they think have something with which they can go racing. We've all seen how that can work out, and your example is just another in a long list. Again, mod-for-mod equalization is a different thing altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufGwDDcE420
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Mod-for-mod, without planning and matching, either one will blow up. The Supra V-8s are making 2500HP with lots of boost, just about maxxed out. A small block Chevy can do 3000HP on boost, and be street driven, too. It's about matching systems.

A big block? Not much contest there. You don't see many nitro V-8s that aren't a variant of Chevy, Ford, or Mopar (Brodix, Aries, Dart, etc.) The architecture of the smaller import V-8s just won't support the kind of power they are making. Again, visit your local track and observe what others are doing in between your tuning runs.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
Boostadd1ct
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Mod-for-mod, without planning and matching, either one will blow up. The Supra V-8s are making 2500HP with lots of boost, just about maxxed out. A small block Chevy can do 3000HP on boost, and be street driven, too. It's about matching systems.

A big block? Not much contest there. You don't see many nitro V-8s that aren't a variant of Chevy, Ford, or Mopar (Brodix, Aries, Dart, etc.) The architecture of the smaller import V-8s just won't support the kind of power they are making. Again, visit your local track and observe what others are doing in between your tuning runs.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html
Supra v8s? What are you talking about?

Now you lost me. Im assuming your talking 2j? Its inline 6. Which is an impressive engine seeing that its cappable of what 1k hp on stock internals?

And planning is what change everything then where no longer doing mod per mod.

Example mine is stock engine with just a mls and stud. It held 30psi all day.

On a $200 dollar turbo that cranks out 500whp.

Thats on a tiny 2.0

Im assuming your not factoring in cost in your mod per mod comparison? Because noone cares about cost to mod i suppose.
Why do you keep refering to track cars? Show me your 8 sec car and im sure its not a daily drive car. Its track car that would prolly only ser weekend run if at that. It will however mostlikely get traillered and never see the streets.

Curious how much power does your car make?

Its easy talking bout everyones car since well they got monet lol
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

An average DSM owner eh? Well don't we just the whole story... I feel like your response was an unnecessary slam on me for trying to give you an accurate comparison of the two.

I'll have you know that I took everything into account and just had stupid crap breaking all the time that could have happened to anyone. Brand new oil pump, seized up. Brand new belt, broke and tangled in timing belt. The result, bent valves. Oil line blew off, too much pressure. You're telling me that is me not planning on the car being driven hard? The sad part, I wasn't even beating on it when these things happened.

And all this talk of not racing at a track is ridiculous. This is how people get into accidents on the street and get hurt even when they aren't a part of the racing. This is why we emphasize people going to the track, because that is exactly what a track is for...
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
AmericanTuners
AF Newbie

Getting back to the original question... my experience is that Vette owners are looking for a good stock, rear wheel drive ride that has a low center of gravity and corners well under acceleration. It's also hard not to want to own a classic American sports car.

I've driven a 2JZ Lexus Inline 6 with over 600hp ( Turbo). It's a fun car, but it's no Corvette. Just keep it pointed in a straight line!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette