Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
joeshannallie
AF Regular

2002 Ford Windstar Stalls out with A/C

Having issues with the van stalling out and dying with the A/C running when you are at a red light. Does ok when driving but when you stop the engine dies. The code says bank 1 sensor 2 oxygen sensor. Bought the sensor and I cant get the old one out. Afraid I will break it off or strip the corners. Where is Bank 1 sensor 2. I may have been trying to get the wrong one out. Would a oxygen sensor cause this problem? Parts place guys says it wont. Who knows, I sure dont! Anyways they cleared the code for me and it did not come back on the way home. Please if anyone has any input on this please reply soon.
joeshannallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Re: 2002 Ford Windstar Stalls out with A/C

Finally got the oxygen sensor out and new one in and still the same. Oreillys checked it again and it shows a P0113 code.They did not know what that was. The van had set for awhile. Now it is showing the ABS and Brake light on. The rear ABS sensor has been replaced a few days ago. You can feel the brakes like grabbing or slipping when you put on the brakes and then the ABS and brake light comes on. Fuel pump has been replaced and brakes all around within the last month. Also replaced the thing on top of the throttle body. Whats next? Anyone have any clues on this or what to check. Autozone said could be fuel filter. Is that possible. When at red light with A/C on and the rpms drop and the engine dies out. Runs fine at normal speed. Help!!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
CharityDC
AF Newbie

Does it EVER do it when the A/C is off? Mine (2003) has been doing it with it on or off. The engine power surges then it gets so low it will die. Runs fine at normal speed and even better at Highway 70 - 80mph speed lol.

We went down south Florida to Kissimmee in May ......before we left I filled up and put a can of STP in the gas. Surprisingly as many stop lights and just sitting in the van running the A/C while eating lunch at the beach, it never died or surged at all! But a week after being home it started doing it again.

I am thinking it "might" have something to do with the fuel filter but have not gotten around to changing it yet.
CharityDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
joeshannallie
AF Regular

No it does not do it when the A/C is off. We changed the fuel filter this evening and no change. CEL came back on and now it says it need a Bank 2 Sensor 2 oxygen sensor and it was also giving a P0113 code which was a Intake air temperature code. That sensor is now intergrated into the maf sensor. Personally I do not think a oxygen sensor would cause the rpms to get so low that it would stall and die. Who knows though, I sure dont! So at a standstill now until more funds are available to throw at it.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
joeshannallie
AF Regular

Would the IRMC bushing problem cause this. I tried to replace them with the Dorman 476099 kind and the rods will not clip in so they fell out after I got it back together.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

The O2 sensors that your codes flag are not involved in engine operation. They only check the effectiveness of the catalytic converters for emissions requirements. The IMRC valves are normally closed, but open at high RPM. They could cause idle issues if they are stuck open. I'm surprised you don't have a OBDII code that flags the IMRC issue.

The intake air temp sensor would also be an issue worth exploring. Although it is not as important as the MAF sensor, it does influence the PCM fuel mixture calculations.

You might try looking at the website obd-codes dot com. It has diagnostic guides that could help you determine the source of the code (sensor, wiring, other).

It can be very helpful if you can get a scan tool to read the fuel trim levels... vacuum leaks are common, especially on older vehicles. Vacuum leaks will show up in the scan tool fuel trim data before a code is set, especially at idle since the rpm is low and manifold vacuum is high.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar