Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
DanKoloff
AF Newbie

2002 Windstar Sport Rough idle and smell of gasoline

Pfff, I am a bit pissed off that after all my attempts, I could not fix the rough idle.
I have done the gaskets of the gaskets and bolts of the intake manifold (the engine light disappeared), I have changed the bushings of the manifold too (the one one the left side), I have changes the TPS sensor, I have cleaned the MAF sensor... man...

The rough idle is still there (and getting worse) and there is some smell of gasoline now. I suspect that I have to change sparks and cables, but I wanted to confirm first with you because the whole thing seems complicated as some of the plugs are buried very "conveniently". You could usually feel an ascending vibration while waiting at the traffic light. You can't feel it as much when in neutral, but it is still there.

I have noticed that on the right side of the Intake manifold (under the throttle) there is some sort of greasy substance that always looks wet. I suspect that it is burnt oil, but that think's been there since I bought the car, so I am not sure if it is related in any way.

I haven't changed the oil and air filter since last summer but I doubt that would be an issue. Additionally I realized that I put pure antifreeze when I need to use 50/50. Anyways, those things I will fix this summer anyways. All I want to fix now is the rough idle because these vibrations drive me nuts.
DanKoloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Windstar Sport Rough idle and smell of gasoline

Best to start by getting codes read. Also if possible check your short term and long term fuel trims. Codes could tell you which cylinder is possibly missing. Throwing parts at it could get very expensive. What is your fuel mileage like. Could also be a leaking injector.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
DanKoloff
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Best to start by getting codes read. Also if possible check your short term and long term fuel trims. Codes could tell you which cylinder is possibly missing. Throwing parts at it could get very expensive. What is your fuel mileage like. Could also be a leaking injector.
Yeah, missed to include the cherry, fuel mileage is bad.
DanKoloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Have you checked your oil lately to see if it is over full or smells like gas?
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

You need to know which cylinders are causing the misfire. It could be plugs, wires, coils, EGR ports, EGR valve, DPFE, vacuum leak, compression issues, fuel injectors, clogged exhaust, timing, etc.

You have to start by narrowing down the possibilities. A cheap OBDII code reader is a start, but if possible get one that reads live data.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

You can also drop by any auto parts store and they'll scan the codes for you for free. Post the codes here so we can help narrow it down.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar