Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #46
JediKnight2

Re: Door pin and bushing repair How-To!

I just happened to look up today when I opened my rear hatch window. It appears that the bushing has slipped out of the hinge...has anyone done the REAR HATCH pins...
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #47
Blazin_Jason
AF Newbie

Finally replaced the drivers door pins/bushings on my 89 jimmy. I wonder what people were thinking when they saw I had a 2 ton engine crane out there holding the door, ha.
Blazin_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #48
reefgeorge
AF Regular

Anyone know why I cannot see the pictures in this post?

Thanks,

George
reefgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #49
reefgeorge
AF Regular

Just finished pins and bushings on my 2002 Blazer. Some of my observations (some of which have already been made - thanks to those before me on this post):

1) Two hollow concrete blocks on end with a few shim boards makes a good support under the door. Then use your floor jack with a wood block in the middle which will come in handy for when the door goes back in. I can see how opening the window and supporting from above would be even better but I did not have a sky hook.

2) You do not have to remove the boot and wires but be aware that a full retraction of the door will not be possible and the natural resting place is just off of the hinges and still in the door well next to the hinges. Prepare in advance with padding around the front edge of the door or you will get paint chips and scratching.

3) The spring can be in a rotation where you cannot insert the door spring tool far enough apart to get complete spring compression for removal. A pair of channel locks on the middle of the spring with a twisting motion will bring the spring (careful, lots of stored energy) out of the door. Re-insertion is then very easy because the tool can get in the proper position for compression. Just remember to seat it well to start and treat it like a loaded gun (watch where you point it).

4) A socket extension and hammer for pin removal. A chisel for bushing destruction. A punch for fragment removal.

5) Despite the waxy coating, the new bushings have to be lubed or most of them will not go in without breaking. I used white lithium grease. You pull each one into place individually with a homemade tool stacked from top down as:

Top of 1/2" X 2" hex bolt
Fender washer
Bushing (flange up)
hinge
socket (to receive the bushing nose)
fender washer
Nut

Keep the stack squared up and watch for tilting and binding, stop and restart if the assembly gets too tilted or you will break the bushing shoulder. Start tightening and the bushing will be drawn into the hole. I tried to span both bushings in a common hinge but that did not work. I tried pressing them in with a large channel lock and that had a 50% crumble rate.

6) Have a helper and be ready for pin insertion with a good starting bushing/hole alignment or the door can get out of square with partial pin insertion and really torque on the new bushings. Start each pin partially so that the door is pretty square then finish.

7) Have extra bushings of both sizes or you may be stuck with a door removed, unable to finish. Even with every precaution, these bushings are very soft and break easily.

8) 20 minutes per door is a good estimate but only after you work the kinks out on the first door, so assume 20min/door plus the learning curve on the first door and a run to the store for bolts/washers/etc.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #50
The_Mechanic_33
AF Regular

Can someone tell me the labor time for complete hinge removal and install?
The_Mechanic_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #51
reefgeorge
AF Regular

1-2 hours for the first one. 20-30 minutes for each of the rest of them.

George
Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #52
MacDrunk
AF Newbie

the picks i cant see it can you fix that
MacDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #53
jakeyf08
AF Newbie

No matter what computer I view this thread on...THE PICTURES WONT SHOW UP!!!! very irritating! any help? I right click and select show picture...still nothing...
jakeyf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #54
km2002
AF Newbie

I, too, cannot see the pics; nor did I see any pics at the links in the first post. What's up with that? Would be VERY helpful to SEE how this was done.
km2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #55
laxman21
AF Enthusiast

The original post is over 4 years old. The host site may not exist anymore.

'99 Blazer LT

'99 Suburban LT
laxman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #56
Yakman01
AF Newbie

OK - I read this entire post. I think I may have this problem as well. What I need to know is how did everyone know the door pin and bushings were the problem? What problem were you having?

I ask this as I just bought a 2001 2D Blazer LS last week and discovered the following with the drivers side door:

I can hear road noise as if the window was down
With the door open I can lift the door up and down and feel the
door move slightly
When it rains water drips inside, being in Florida this is a BIG ONE!

I've been told the door is bent, its the seals, the top pin, the bottom pin, etc.

I'm going to keep searching the forums to see if I can find an answer.

Any help and all help is appreciated!!
Yakman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #57
reefgeorge
AF Regular

Open the door and look at the vertical pins in the hinges. Look for the bushings/sleeves around the pins at the top and bottom. Look for cracked/crumbling bushings and/or the holes in the hinges being egg shaped. Also, the door will have to slightly "climb" up the strike plate just before it latches. I had the same problem and the bushings were all broken up. I also needed to replace the very top weather seal that spans across both doors.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #58
laxman21
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman01 View Post
OK - I read this entire post. I think I may have this problem as well. What I need to know is how did everyone know the door pin and bushings were the problem? What problem were you having?

I ask this as I just bought a 2001 2D Blazer LS last week and discovered the following with the drivers side door:

I can hear road noise as if the window was down
With the door open I can lift the door up and down and feel the
door move slightly
When it rains water drips inside, being in Florida this is a BIG ONE!

I've been told the door is bent, its the seals, the top pin, the bottom pin, etc.

I'm going to keep searching the forums to see if I can find an answer.

Any help and all help is appreciated!!

MY door creaked over every bump and i could move it up and down when opened.

Your bushings need to be replaced...Do both at the same time.

'99 Blazer LT

'99 Suburban LT
laxman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #59
harryevan
AF Newbie

Re: Door pin and bushing repair How-To - Question.

2000 Astro AWD LT - second owner since Dec '07 195K. I had some pretty bad sag on the driver's door and bought a Dorman kit with two hinge pins and two bushings to relieve it. I wish (actually, my back wishes) I had found the thread where the guy used a ladder and straps to float the door.

Anyway, I easily removed and replaced the two bushings - the top one one had split - but they were both in the body-side of the hinge brackets, not the door-side brackets. I have some egging in the top hole of the top door-side bracket, so now I'm begining to wonder if I placed the bushings in the correct bracket (and if someone had done this incorrectly, before me), especially since the pin appears to be stationary and the door swings on the pin. The bracket holes accepted the bushings as expected and I was able to press them in with a pair of channel-locks. Most of the sag was relieved and the wind noise through the gasket seems to have stopped, even in a cross-wind at 75 mph.

Now, some of these threads talk about four bushings per hinge (if I'm reading this right), a couple talk about the bushings being of different sizes to accomodate a taper in the pin, and some of the pictures show the bushings in the door-side bracket. The differences could be in the different models, I'm sure. But the pins would be floating in the body-side bracket holes if I had used the bushings in the door-side.

Since I replaced the bushings where they were, "originally", does anyone know if the 2000 Astro has two or four bushings per hinge, and if they are supposed to be placed in the door-side brackets or the frame-side brackets. If it's two per, I'm begining to think that I need to add a bushing in the top of the top door-side bracket. How big would that hole have to be to accept a buhsing? .005 over?

I'd hate to have to do this again... but I have a ladder and some straps.

Thanks

harryevan
harryevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #60
harryevan
AF Newbie

Sorry, the Dorman kit had two pins and four bushings - two per hinge.

harryevan
harryevan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info