Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mini > Mini 1 | Cooper | Countryman
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 01:47 PM   #1
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
cooper s and turbo

can you turbo the S cooper?
Old 12-25-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
I dont see why you couldnt if you threw money at it...

but why? its already Supercharged.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Because 167hp isnt enough power for me, but i would keep the supercharger too thats what i ment can you have both. From what i understand the S.C sucks in air and the turbo helps shoot it out so if you had both you would get some nice power.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:52 AM   #4
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

I dont even have a mini S yet I just wanted to know if you could do that to it because i might get one. What about the WRX dont they use a S.C and turbo? thats where i got the idea
Old 12-26-2002, 12:32 PM   #5
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Nope, WRX is just a Boxer-4 with a Turbo.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 01-10-2003, 05:28 PM   #6
lowridder11
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lowridder11
Always put a AC Schitzer super chareger/exhaust/or turbo on a mini.
WRX you could put a HKS bolt on turbo or turbo replacement/HKS hiper exhaust.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:06 PM   #7
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

"Because 167hp isnt enough power for me, but i would keep the supercharger too thats what i ment can you have both. From what i understand the S.C sucks in air and the turbo helps shoot it out so if you had both you would get some nice power."
:bandit:
A turbocharger is a supercharger that is powered by exhaust gases, it forces air into the engine.:bandit: A supercharger is powered by a belt, just like the alternator, it also forces air into the engine. NO!!:bandit: you can't have both!! But, if you really need power you could opt for a twin-turbo setup like the Nissan skyline and the HKS Supra. Or for even more savage power, you could custom fit one of those dragster blowers from a Hemi.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
lowridder11
AF Enthusiast

u could get a nitrous kit so when you r feeling under powerd, WOOOOSH!
Old 03-09-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Well, there was a production car before that used both a turbo and supercharger. The supercharger was used at low rpm, with the turbo bypassed. At high rpms, the turbo was connected and the supercharger was dissconnected.
Of course, this was very odd.

But, you cannot really run both a turbo and supercharger.

But, with the supercharger, you can get different sized pulleys to adjust its speed (ie, more boost, with some other mods, it will work fine).
However, the mini engine isnt that good, really. With some work, Im sure that 225 hp could be extracted from the engine fairly reliably.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
AC Schnitzer M3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to AC Schnitzer M3
Racer D12, you gotta watch what you say. Yes superchargers and turbos are the same in some ways, but definatley different. First, as i hope you know is that on your intake, its sucking in massive air, so what a supercharger does is winnd up from your crank and camshaft and creates way more air goin into the intake which causes a great increase in horsepower. Now a Turbo almost is the same except it does not run of the crank or pully, it runs of the intake and exhaust, thus why you must have a different type of exhaust on a turbo car if you install one. A turbo sucks air in from the turbo goes into the intake valves then when the exhaust comes outta the exhaust valves eventually goes down to the exhaust, thus creating a lot more horsepower. Turbos most of the time do not kick in as early as a supercharger for they start at about 1200rpm when a turbo usually gets goin good about 3200 to 4000 something rpm. Now if you have a twin turbo what that does is there is one turbo for lower RPM then when it gets up in the RPMs the other one kicks in creating some sweet ass horsepower. Hoped this cleared it all up fo ya, as Chris said, it is possible to have both but very uncommon.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:34 AM   #11
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice
If you had the money you could do both turbocharge and supercharge it, it would be insanely expensive. You would have a hell of a time trying to get it tuned properly.

Just upgrade the pullies and such. If thats still not enough, shoot some N2O through it..

Bikes:
'05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, '05 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Old 07-15-2003, 10:01 PM   #12
darkaccord
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to darkaccord
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
But, you cannot really run both a turbo and supercharger.
Yes you can. Its called twincharging.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t116657.html
Old 07-21-2003, 06:59 PM   #13
lowridder11
AF Enthusiast

i have never heard of twincharging before, It sounds like it would blow the engine to pieces and, would take 1 life time trying to tune it properly
Old 04-12-2004, 12:33 AM   #14
Anti-Lag
AF Newbie

just an idea

I think it was a Lancia original idea or at least they ran with it
the Lancia Delta Integra HF Good B type Rally car use's Supper charger low-end to take away Lag From having a turbo then cut out when the turbo kicks in Great idea sh*t in practice
Basics
Supercharger Great low end but draws power of the engine a percentage
But makes a larger percentage of power and torque but as the rpm rise more power is sapped of the crank but not the equivalent amount air is being blown so up to 50% of engine possible out put the super charger is great but past then not as hot
Turbo works of exhaust gat from turbo manifold dose not take power out of the engine but the turbo dose take a while to get up to speed say it produces 75% of its efficient out put at 3,600rpm not to good low end

Can you guess what comes next yep that’s right?
HF
Supercharge first 50% rpm then Turbo the rest

great idea but as shown by talking to most who own a HF pig in reality you have to be a quantum physicist to tune it plus it is a fair bit more costly to design build run so on

and now this is just an idea that you might like called an ANTI-LAG system there are a few type manly used in Rally but you can use them on turbo apps I will talk about the one most referred to as the bang bang system

what to do on the mini get a good ball baring turbo on a well made manifold down pipe and an after market ECU (motec) that has this feature it will give you a button on your dash to turn it on when you want that of the line Blitz or are Dragging
How it works
Your car drives as normal turbo charged car so 175-300 bhp+
you want to go fast of the line so you flip the switch and now when you don’t have your foot on the gas pedal the ignition is retarded allowing unburnt fuel to make its way through the cylinder into the
Exhaust manifold and then bang the surge of exhaust gas causes the turbo to spool when the car is standing still or when you are not nailing it so you have power when you want it like a supercharger
But better and you have that entire lovely top end from a turbo

It’s referred to as a bang bang system because the bangs the fuel going bang in the exhaust system also you get those flames out the exhaust like the rally guys do

The down side you should not run it all the time coz it super heats the turbo to about 1200c but a got garret ball baring will be fine
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #15
r.j-lo
AF Regular

Re: cooper s and turbo

darkaccord got it. twincharging. Its becoming a new trend lately.
http://www.jscspeed.com/mini/mini_ba...it_coopers.htm

and no, a boost controller wont up the boost on a supercharger. Being that it is determined by the engine, you need to change the pully size to change boost.