Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #46
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
I'll be honest, the thought of using a respirator while modeling never crossed my mind. If I ever do paint, it's either outside in the open or in my car port. I don't use any type or protection even while wet sanding plastic (I plan to on resin though), filing (dry plastic), or gluing. Maybe safety should play a bigger role in my hobby.

On the other hand, I do use safety glasses while working with power tools.

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Honoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #47
Sticky Fingers
AF Enthusiast

Re: Poll: Do you spray without protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Boy
No I have (had?) testicular cancer. They removed the tumor a few years ago, had 3 types of cancer inside, luckily it hadn't spread. I go for regular follow-ups of bloodwork, x-ray and CT-scans (every month the 1st year, every other month the second year, every 4 months the 3rd year, and now every 6 months), luckily it hasn't come back yet. Had a close call last month, luckily the radiologist mis-read the scan.
Man, I really hoped it was a typo. Glad to hear you're in the clear now!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #48
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Depends on the situation.
1. minor paint jobs or touch ups with the air brush - likely no respirator, but I do put a fan on to circulate the air across the desk.
2. major paint jobs with airbrush (like a car body) - yes, respirator goes on (plus fan.)
3. spray can paint jobs are usually done outside, with plenty of 'ventilation', so I tend to skip the mask

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #49
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Poll: Do you spray without protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion131
I paint on the window sill, with the window open so I dont have to
This makes me laugh!

No-one says you have to! No-one's gonna come and shut you down, the paint police won't be interested!

It's your health sunshine!
Lurchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:33 AM   #50
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Your lungs, your problem PD. Nobody here is suggesting aqueous acrylics are a great risk. But the paints I use sure are. I hope you aren't implying one should not use a respirator when painting two pac?
True that some paints are less toxic than others, but unless you have the appropriate MSDS or similar info and can be 100% certain, then the sensible thing to do is be as safe as possible. Since this modelling forum is here to help people, it's best that we teach them to be overcautious rather than foolhardy with their health.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:40 AM   #51
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Further, a quick google turned up this on the Western Australian Worksafe site:

Quote:
5.4.3 Two part polyurethane paint

When spraying two part polyurethane paint the sprayer must wear:

*a supplied air respirator with an adequate protection factor; and
*full length overalls, appropriate chemically resistant gloves and eye protection.

Alternative respiratory protection may only be used in situations where the use of supplied air respirators increases the risk of injury to the operator due to falling, tripping, etc.

The WorkSafe Western Australia Commission Code of Practice for Personal Protective Equipment provides further guidance on personal protective equipment.

No person should use two part polyurethane paint without first considering the information provided in the MSDS for these paints.

5.4.4 Two part epoxy paints and two part catalysed acrylic paint

The respiratory protective equipment required will depend on the toxicity of the paint and the conditions under which the paints are applied. The respirators must be selected as part of the risk assessment and control process.

The following points need to be considered:

*exposure standards for the various paint components. Exposure standards have not been established for some of the hazardous components of these paints (eg. curing agents);
*the information provided in the manufacturer’s MSDS;
*ventilation in the area where the paint is to be applied;
*the level and duration of exposure; and
*the protection factor of the respirator.

No person should use two part epoxy paint or two part catalysed acrylic paint without first considering the information provided in the MSDS for these paints.

When spraying two part epoxy paint or two part catalysed acrylic paint the sprayer must wear:

*respiratory protection that maintains exposures below the exposure standard. Where there is no exposure standard, exposures should be kept as low as reasonably achievable. Half face respirators with combined particulate/organic vapour cartridges may be used in well ventilated areas. Higher protection factors (eg. full face or powered air purifying respirators) will be required where ventilation is not adequate. When spraying in poorly ventilated or enclosed areas, particular care should be taken to ensure that appropriate personal protective equipment is worn in accordance with the recommendations contained in the manufacturer’s Material Safety Data Sheet; and
*full length overalls, appropriate chemically resistant gloves and eye protection.

5.4.5 Organic solvent and water based paint

When organic solvent or water based paints are being sprayed and the exposure standard is likely to be exceeded, the sprayer must wear:

*a respirator with a combined vapour/particulate filter. The respirator must have an adequate protection factor. Where spraying is carried out in poorly ventilated conditions other types of respirators should be selected as described in 5.4.4 above; and

If persons entering the spraying area are exposed to fumes and mist they must wear the same protective equipment as worn by the sprayer.
So with high enough exposure levels even waterbased paints can be hazardous according to WA state laws!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:29 PM   #52
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

Read the post again chief, I didn't say DON'T wear a respirator when spraying 2 part paint. I always wear my mask when painting anything at work or at Tafe but when I'm painting a model for 40 seconds outside and then closing the door on my way back into the house I don't bother. Why don't you do a 'google' for the bloke who said he puts a shirt over his face... just to inform and teach some people on AF. I'm putting my post in this thread to say what I do, you don't target it as an OHS issue, you're damn right they are my lungs.
Thankyou, come again. I just won't bother now, ok?
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:13 AM   #53
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Of course I read your post, hence my response. Don't be juvenile.

The difference between you and the shirt guy is your post attempted to belittle those who made a perfectly correct recommendation to use protection when spraying toxic chemicals. Not only that, but you claimed some legitimacy because you are undertaking a spray painting apprenticeship. Now, by your own admission you say you do the correct thing at school and work but cut corners at home. Okay if you know what you are dealing with, but many of the newbies here don’t know the difference between dangerous and relatively safe compounds, levels or conditions.

Not bothering in future would be a preferable course of action to spreading misinformation. You might also consider not bothering to take the air of a hurt child when a churlish, half assed post on your part attracts a straightforward correction.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:34 AM   #54
ToMiNAToR333
Banned

hey, just a side note, but it relates to this post so here goes....

even when spraying non -toxic paint a respirator should be worn. the paint will enter ur lungs while still wet, and then dry in ur lungs. it may be safe to eat (and taste good too!! ), but can u imagine what dried paint in ur lungs would do to ur breathing?!?
basically, its not just the chemies in paints that do the damage, its the paints aswell!!!
that said, to answer the topic, i currently spray without a respirator, but thats coz im a pauper and i dont have the cash at the moment!!. but i have only been spraying for about a month (not that that make it ok!) and it is the next thing on my list! i have put my porsche carrera gt on hold ( ) just so i can get one...

also, i use a paint fume can to reduce the amount of toxic particles in the air when i spray. i use it to spray into when cleaning my airbrush, and i find it invaluble, and its real simple to make. its just a old thinner can, with a hole in the side and a respirator filter on top. u put the ab nozzle into the hole, spray, and all the air coming out is filtered! i use it alot coz i clean my ab wqith laquer thinners. if anyone would like some info or pics, msg me and ill help ya out!
ToMiNAToR333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #55
anjaliart
AF Newbie

You should always use a respirator mask when spray painting to protect your health. What you want is called a half face mask and if you are using spray paints that contain solvents, you will want “organic vapor cartridges” to go in the mask. I always recommend getting a mask with soft silicon in the face piece because that is so much more gentle on your face than a hard mask. If you will be wearing it for any length of time, you will thank me. Test your mask by using essential oils to make a room smell and then moving around in your mask to make sure that in all positions it sticks to your face and you don't smell any of the oils. Then you will know it works for sure. If the seal is broken, it may not be the right size for your face and the protection will not be good. Make sure to change your cartridges as much as possible to avoid them wearing out.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling