Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
mfoye80
AF Newbie

Suburban runs fine then shuts down.

Sorry about how this post appears I copied it from the c/k forum where i had read of a similar issue.

Did whoaskew fix his problem? I am having a very similar problem on my Suburban, I changed out the intake manifold gasket about two weeks ago and she has been running like a top. I did a full tune up, wires plugs rotor cap button fuel filter etc. Today my wife calls me and she had driven like WHOASKEW for about twenty minutes and it suddenly died on her. I had it towed home and the fella drove it off the truck, she was like what the heck, fella said to her yeah, I drove it on the roll back. When I got home from work i looked over all of my work and the only obvious thing i found was the battery ground was loose so I replaced the terminals and then checked the battery and alternator battery read 12.9 a weee bit low but acceptable. the alt was putting out at 14.4 so that was good. It has fire and fuel. i drove it for about 20 and then I felt a small jolt and just like that it was dead. no hesitations no jerking no power loss etc. It wouldnt start back up. Would turn over kinda slow almost thought it ws gonna hydrolock because of how hard it was for the starter to turn the motor. I tried a couple more times over the next half hour waiting on my wife to come fetch me. I towed it home with the Jeep. Got home tried and nothing. looked over it checked spark it was there but not strong kinda orange not blue. Sprayed a little bit of fluid in the tb and she fired up ran rough and shut down I then thought it was the fuel, ten minutes later after a buddy came over he reached in and i will be dern it fired up no problem. So I am not the type to throw money at a problem, i am suspecting the coil is having a thermal break down, or the icm is failing. exhaust seems strong fuel pump is humming as it should. I am also thinking that I may have the timing advanced a tooth maybe. Any suggestions?
mfoye80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Suburban runs fine then shuts down.

Check fuel pressure when this happens.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
mrj28
AF Newbie

i'm having the same issue with my suburban. I have changed everything even the ecm twice and it will run for a few days then just die. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. could it be the timing belt?

Last edited by mrj28; 05-09-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: forgot a question
mrj28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrj28 View Post
i'm having the same issue with my suburban. I have changed everything even the ecm twice and it will run for a few days then just die. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. could it be the timing belt?
post your vehice details engine/mileage / non OEM components etc... then list all the parts replaced and what testing you did including the fuel pressures .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
risleydc
AF Newbie

My 2001 K2500 had the same problem about 5 years ago.. Crankshaft position sensor was the problem. It would just die for no reason and it was random. It would start up again normally after a short period of time. Cheap fix.
risleydc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
good , runs , shutoff , start , suburban
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban