Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
PervyDrifter
AF Newbie

SOHC mod results?

First i would like to say hi, since this is my first post, but i will have more to come as i try to learn more about my 240sx.

Ok, so i have an 89 240sx hatchback with the stock E engine. it currently has 178k miles on it. I plan on letting my mechanic rebuild my engine and while hes in the process i thought maybe i could have him throw some cams in there. i was thinking maybe these PDM cams.

C404.H - Strong performer, with good midrange pull to redline. O.K. with automatics. Our strongest seller with the most smiles! {Intake 268 degrees duration, .441 valve list, Exhaust 272 degrees duration, .447 valve lift.} (note: requires cam towers to be milled .025")

Also in acouple of weeks im putting on some headers to a custom 2.5" exhaust with a megan racing resonator and dual muffler.

With these minor mods, what can i expect. I know im not gonna be pulling any high hp gains. But will my 240 respond or feel different. And even though it will be very minor, how much hp do you think i will gain?

Also, do you recommend anywhere i can get a good engine rebuild kit for a good price. I see afew online, just wondering if anyone recommends one over another. thanks
PervyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: SOHC mod results?

first of all, how do you plan on fitting two cams in your single cam head? where is the other one gonna go? i guess i dont understand your logic. second of all if you want more than maybe 10 or 20 extra hp, go turbo. all motor is dumb you cant get much power out of any KA unless you dump way too much cash. and if you decide turbo, dont get all motor cams. turbo cams are very different. if you do decide turbo, a rebuild would be a good time to put in some nice forged pistons/rods. but if your not looking to spend that much, just use whatever stock stuff you can find. i would still replace the headgasket with a multilayer steel one, as thats the weakest point in the motor. the only thing is you pretty much have to deck the block and head to make sure you have perfectly flat and parallel mating surfaces. with a stock headgasket this isnt necessary unless the motor has been overheated in the past.

oh and i like felpro gaskets and clevite bearings. and CR or felpro seals.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
PervyDrifter
AF Newbie

Sorry, got to used to talking about my DOHC. I meant a cam. Wasnt trying to confuse anyone, just typing to fast without thinking.
Yeah, i was thinking all motor till i started doing some research. I dont have a high power goal. 220-240 rwhp. After looking at prices and gains, i am going to turbo route. Probably a basic setup with a t3 or t28 turbo. Still gotta figure out everything ill need. Either way it will be ALOT more cost efficient and i would gain way more power if i go turbo rather than n/a.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

yes. i would suggest some 440cc injectors should be plenty for those power levels. a big t28 should be fine, stock wastegate with a manual boost controller, ECU reflash, MLS headgasket, intake exhaust small log style exhaust manifold, smallish intercooler, aluminum radiator, 255lph fuel pump, and a better clutch. i can list ideas for brands and locating parts if you want, just stay away from cheap ebay stuff. if you want completion, rims tires brakes LSD and many suspension parts are suggested. any other q's dont hesitate to ask.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
PervyDrifter
AF Newbie

These are the parts i was able to get from a friend that was gonna boost his KA before he ended up selling it
-nissan t3 turbo(fully rebuilt)
-SRT4 Intercooler
-Rx7 injectors in a overhead fuel rail
-manual boost controller
-boost cutoff/protector box(not sure what its called)
-msd ignition wired for a dohc ka. so ill have to change it
-sandwhich(goes between the block and oil filter to feed oil to the turbo
-boost guage, and some other gauges is cant remember right now
-mr2 blow off

I think im off to a good start, have a guy that is gonna make a turbo manifold and a down pipe for cheap. he also built my custom exhaust, great work.

so need to get intercool piping, walbro pump, what else?

Once i get my car turboed and tuned correctly the first thing im gonna worry about it getting some bigger brakes, maybe 300zx or Q45's. Which one will be the easiest to install?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

clutch, exhaust, and some sort of tuning. i dont know for sure what the max flow capacity of the stock MAF sensor, but keep it in mind that you should keep an eye on it since if you max out the stock sensor, the second it gets maxed out you will start running lean. and that can be dangerous.

the infiniti or Z brakes should be equally easy to install. look around for some SS brake lines with the fittings premade for the swap, i dont know about the infiniti but the Z and/or skyline brakes need a different fitting on the caliper side than the stock 240 brakes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX