Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Question Geo Metro Restoration

I know this may sound odd, but I am going to bring it up anyway. I would like to have my Geo Metro restored. You know, make it new. Just like people restore classic cars, I want to get my Metro restored. It is a 97 and has 175,000 miles on a 1.0, 3 cyl. engine with standard transmission. It has been a wonderful car, still is, and a daily driver. I still get 45-50 mpg, so I'm thinking...why not just rebuild it? I have taken care of it, but it is beginning to need a lot more than I can do. I'd like to have the engine rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, new clutch, new front end, shocks, and CV's, new radiator, some switches and and controls replaced in the dash, better stereo, a new headliner and two new front fenders because they have dents. I live near Houston, Tx., but don't mind taking it out of state to have it done. Anybody know somebody who does this or can do it or is willing to do it? I'd rather have a new 1997 Geo Metro than the new cars that are on the market. Some of you may know what I mean.

Last edited by GeoRandy; 06-27-2012 at 10:14 PM.
GeoRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Re: Geo Metro Restoration

I forgot to mention, I'll drive it there and drive it back (since it is running and driving good now.) I'm looking for a good mechanic that is good with Geo Metros. Location is not an issue. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Nobody??
Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Dr.Semanas
AF Newbie

Try this guy for GEO restoration...he specializes in it.
e-mail watercatwn6535nd@yahoo.com
Dr.Semanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Thanks Dr.Semanas
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
bowens
AF Newbie

Randy--what did you decide?
bowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
GeoRandy
AF Regular

This much I have done with some help from others. New CV axles, replaced the cam and crankshaft seals, new radiator, new water pump, some switches and controls replaced in the dash, better stereo, a new headliner, and center console with armrest and storage beneath from a Dodge Neon. I replaced the clockspring behind the steering wheel air bag but didn't have the money at the time to get an intermittent wiper control. The interior is perfect now. My shift shaft is leaking and I just found a supplier for the seal and ordered one. I'll post the supplier if and when it arrives correctly. I have a complete exhaust from Rockauto and plan to put it on after I replace that shift shaft seal that is leaking all over the undercarriage. I'm up to 190,000 miles now and the engine is still running well. The transmission is good except for the refusal to downshift into 3rd gear. I will keep running the engine and transmission until one or the other fails, then I will rebuild them both (by other,) I have never rebuilt either. I still need to replace or repair both front fenders. I'm still running on the 13" steel wheels (painted metal flake black) as 14" or 15" rims are last on the list. I hoped I could buy them when this set of tires wears out, but probably will go through another set before I get new wheels....and I still haven't decided what rims I like best.
It is still my daily driver and I am spoiled by the 47 mpg no matter how hard or soft I drive it. The wheel bearings and shocks should probably be replaced as they are all original, but since the mileage is still where it was when it was new I haven't considered them as a necessity yet. Who knows, replacing those might get me above 50 mpg. When I do get around to the engine and transmission I may look for a 4.1 gear instead of the 4.39. That, with a new engine may push me over 50 mpg.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Crvett69
AF Moderator

you will need to take the tranmission apart to replace that seal, the accordion part on the outside is just a dust cover, not a grease seal. if you have a leak there its the inner seal thats bad
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Oh yeah, I know it is the seal, but I've seen pics about replacing them with the trans. in the car. I'll let you know how it turns out. When I do replace it, I'm thinking of cuttin off the shift rod and welding an allthread to it and a nut to the remaining rod on the connector at the other end. That way if the seal ever fails again all I have to do is unthread it and replace the seal sliding it over the allthread and shaft rod into the hole. I'll take pictures. I think it will be a great mod.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Crvett69
AF Moderator

have to be carefull not to knick the seal surface on the threads, might scar it and cause a leak
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Right, good to know. I plan to have the allthread diameter slightly smaller than the rod.

Last edited by GeoRandy; 12-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
GeoRandy
AF Regular

I just got the new shift shaft seal and little boot today. Yea!
The supplier is: http://suzukicarparts.com/partlocato...?siteid=214820