Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #31
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Re: Excessive Oil Consumption

Millions of engines are out running without any positive cranckase vent, they all work, besides this is just a test to see if the pcv is sucking oil.
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #32
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

First thing I would do is just monitor the oil drop to see if it will level out after a while.

This will show that possibly an overfilling is happening and the engine is just spitting out the excess which is getting kicked up by the crank.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #33
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

The oil consumption does not level out. The oil just keeps disappearing. As I stated in an earlier post, when I first discovered this problem, I had to add 3 1/2 quarts to bring it up to the full mark. I don't overfill the crank case, but even if I did, once enough of the oil was eliminated, wouldn't it stop disappearing?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #34
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood
The oil consumption does not level out. The oil just keeps disappearing. As I stated in an earlier post, when I first discovered this problem, I had to add 3 1/2 quarts to bring it up to the full mark. I don't overfill the crank case, but even if I did, once enough of the oil was eliminated, wouldn't it stop disappearing?
Hmmm........

When you change your oil completely and add 5.0qts, where does that leave you level wise on the dipstick?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #35
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Hmmm........

When you change your oil completely and add 5.0qts, where does that leave you level wise on the dipstick?
Right to the top of the full mark, maybe slightly, slightly, slightly above it.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #36
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

I would get an after market pcv valve and see if it improves.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:58 PM   #37
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
I would get an after market pcv valve and see if it improves.
O.K. Start the clock. The new PCV Valve is in. The milage is 83388.0, the oil and filter was changed on Sat. 8/12/06 and is right at full on the dipstick and today is 8/17/2006.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 08-18-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Rick Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #38
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

ok, keep us up to date.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #39
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

O.K. today is Oct 6th, the truck now has 85488 miles on it for a total of 2100 miles on it since I added oil. I just dumped 1 1/2 quarts of oil into it to bring it back up to full.

7 weeks, 2100 miles, 1 1/2 quarts of oil. Too much oil, I should be able to go at least twice the miles without adding any additional oil.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #40
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Ok, Rick, check the tube going to the passenger side and make sure it has no obstructions. Take it off and clean it out with brake cleaner to make sure it is clear.

1.) Are you leaking any at all?
2.) What exact oil are you using?
3.) Have you insspected your oil cooler lines for leaks? They might only leak while you are accelerating and thus you never see a drip.
4.) I would advise installing a PCV catch can like I did to monitor whether the oil is coming up through the PCV line or whether it is disappearing other places.
5.) Check the coolant. Your oil might be going through a crack in your oil cooler and into the coolant.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #41
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Ok, Rick, check the tube going to the passenger side and make sure it has no obstructions. Take it off and clean it out with brake cleaner to make sure it is clear.

1.) Are you leaking any at all?
2.) What exact oil are you using?
3.) Have you insspected your oil cooler lines for leaks? They might only leak while you are accelerating and thus you never see a drip.
4.) I would advise installing a PCV catch can like I did to monitor whether the oil is coming up through the PCV line or whether it is disappearing other places.
5.) Check the coolant. Your oil might be going through a crack in your oil cooler and into the coolant.
No leaks that I can see, nothing on the drive way. Using Castrol 5w-30, but plan on going to Castrol 10w-40 high milage. Radiator is brand new, replaced last January.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #42
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I think your problem is in the rings and it is wise to go to the mi-milage / thicker oil. I have an idea your documentation and recording is exact and hopefully you will cut your consumption in half. Still not great, but maybe She can go for 1 oil change and not have to add any?

The strange thing still is where is the oil going? I'd like to follow you for 1 hour and check MY windshield. lol.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #43
alblogg
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC
A crankcase without a ventilation system, no pcv. A lot of engines have just an atmospherice crankcase and whatever blow-by gets past the rings just gets released to atmosphere. Lots of old engines, industrial engines just have a diverter and a tube or "vent" to the air. It sometimes cauases some condensation and sludge to build up , but would make an interesting test (temporarily) for your setup to eliminate the pcv system, at least that would eliminate it from the equasion.
Did you ever have one of the older model Small Ford Ranger PUs with the 4 cyl engine in it. You are talking about engines without ventilation systems most of them started getting a little gummed up you could not keep the oil cap on them the motor would buildup pressure inside and blow out the weak points.

'99 Blazer LT Loaded, K&N Filter, Pioneer Super
Tuner,Viper
'98 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, 3.8
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
alblogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #44
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I was not really talking about any specific engine, but a lot of industrial engines have no pcv and they have a vent pipe that is huge enough to allow anty pressure build up from blow-by to escape to atmosphere.

The point of my post was a "test" to completey eliminate the pcv system and see whether or not the comsumption goes down. I do realise a non-breathing system will allow condensate and gunk, but the test will point in the right direction.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #45
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC
I was not really talking about any specific engine, but a lot of industrial engines have no pcv and they have a vent pipe that is huge enough to allow anty pressure build up from blow-by to escape to atmosphere.

The point of my post was a "test" to completey eliminate the pcv system and see whether or not the comsumption goes down. I do realise a non-breathing system will allow condensate and gunk, but the test will point in the right direction.
No it won't, all you will do is make it worse when the blowby impregnates the oil with gas which will thin the oil and make it even more easily burnt.

Let's not add to the problem and find a solution.

In my mind I would check for a fuel injector leaking gas into the oil.

But first, the all important compression test.

Castrol GTX is a really good oil, but maybe it is a little too thin. But worn out rings at 85k with decent maintanance is next to impossible.

PCV catch can is the way I would go.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD