Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Re: Excessive Oil Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Not everything is snake oil so make sure you take a look around before you believe something doesn't work.
Quote:
don't start listening to people that don't have a friggin clue about oils and their additives.

This is not something that will be solved with unknown products.
O.K. I'm listening. What is your recommendation?

I changed my PCV valve 6-8 months ago, and even though I like the idea of the catch can, I don't think it will help me in this case.

Here are my specific questions to stop or slow my oil consumption:
Dino vs synthetic?
What weight, 10W-40, 5W-40?
If there is any specific brand name additive that you recommend, please tell me what it is.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
tylernt
AF Newbie

You probably don't really care what the number before the W is as long as it's 10 or lower. That number describes cold weather performance. 10 is good, 5 is better, 0 is best. Most engines that need 10W will also run on 5W or 0W without damage.

The number after the W is how thick the oil is when hot. 30 is thinner, 40 is thicker, 50 is probably too thick (for most watercooled car engines, you see it more in aircooleds).

I'm oversimplifiying but that's the general gist.

Mobil 1 is full-synthetic, many others are only partially synth. I use Mobil 1 in my VWs. It's expensive though.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
534BC
AF Enthusiast

This is interesting post, using a quart in 1000 miles. If the underside and driveway is clean then it must be going out the pipe. If it is not smokling when idling a long time (high vac) then it is using it when vac is low and really should be all over the rear window?

I think that changing to snythetic is a waste of money in this case. Two tests I would do is allow the first quart to burn out and then monitor very closely. Change to a thicker oil and see if consumptiuon goes down.

One thing is for sure, it is using a lot.
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC
If the underside and driveway is clean then it must be going out the pipe. If it is not smokling when idling a long time (high vac) then it is using it when vac is low and really should be all over the rear window?
Strangely enough, the driveway, underside and back window are all clean, and it doesn't smoke.

I am at a bit of a loss as to where it is going. I bought this truck in Jan 2006, right after an oil change. I initially discovered this problem in April (approx. 3000 miles later) and it took 3 1/2 quarts to fill it back up to the full line on the dipstick.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
tylernt
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood
Strangely enough, the driveway, underside and back window are all clean, and it doesn't smoke.

I am at a bit of a loss as to where it is going.
Yep, my Fox did the same thing. You'd get a little blue smoke on startup if the car had been sitting for a while, indicating the intake valve seals were leaking, but driving the car I never saw any smoke. Even passed emissions tests! Yet I was losing about about as much oil as you are. I think part of the reason you don't see smoke is the catalytic convertor is eating it up. Eventually you will burn out your catalyst from excessive hydrocarbons, and then you will see the smoke *and* need an expen$ive new cat.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #21
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernt
Eventually you will burn out your catalyst from excessive hydrocarbons, and then you will see the smoke *and* need an expen$ive new cat.
Wonderful, just F@#$% Wonderful!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Hold on, it will take years for that to happen.

Replace the PCV valve again with a good name brand part.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #23
tylernt
AF Newbie

Well if it makes you feel any better, I went through about 12 qts of oil and while I did fail my last emissions test, leaning the mixture was all it needed to pass and I still have the same cat installed. So it's not dead yet.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #24
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Replace the PCV valve again with a good name brand part.
Will do. The one that is in the truck came from a GM Dealer, because I had to replace the broken plastic fitting on the intake manifold, and it came in the set, actually, it was cheaper to buy the entire assembly than it was to buy just the fitting. I got the PCV Valve, hose and fitting for $11.00 US. Apparently the plastic can't take the heat and breaks pretty easy.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #25
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I can sure go along with the oil being burned, it must be going past oil rings and get burned while driving without any evidence. To get rid of a quart while driving really wouldn't be hard in a 1000 miles. An atmospheric crankcase would also be a good test.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #26
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
An atmospheric crankcase would also be a good test.
Please elaborate, I've never heard of this one.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #27
534BC
AF Enthusiast

A crankcase without a ventilation system, no pcv. A lot of engines have just an atmospherice crankcase and whatever blow-by gets past the rings just gets released to atmosphere. Lots of old engines, industrial engines just have a diverter and a tube or "vent" to the air. It sometimes cauases some condensation and sludge to build up , but would make an interesting test (temporarily) for your setup to eliminate the pcv system, at least that would eliminate it from the equasion.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Oh you just reminded me that revving engine with the oil cap off may show a lot of blow-by. I'd have to do a side by side comparion though with a known good one, a comp test and a leak down test may also help diagnose the rings set.

My way has always been to diagnose problems to be sure what to replace, it is not always cheaper . I see there are a lot of parts changers here and if enough parts are replaced the problem has a better chance of not showing up, but user doesn't learn anything that way. lol.

ps I think it is a "bad" engine and needs to be replaced, exagerrated for effect, but you get the picture.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #29
billibong
AF Regular

Rick - I noticed that when I switched over to a High Mileage oil (GTX High Mileage), i stopped losing as much oil. I was losing about 1 qt every 1500 miles or so (not too far off what you are describing), now I lose less than a half qt every 1000 miles.
I use the GTX High Mileage 5W 30, with the Pure One filter. It seems to be working for me, and might be worth a try.
bill
U/L Ball Joints, I/O Tie Rod Ends, New Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves, New Idler Arm, R & L Front Hubs, R & L Upper CA Bushings, New Gabriel Ultramax Shocks (what a difference)
F & R Brakes and Rotors at 110,000.
Infinity Speakers to replace the blown factory sets.
162K+ and still kicking.
billibong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #30
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
A crankcase without a ventilation system, no pcv. A lot of engines have just an atmospherice crankcase and whatever blow-by gets past the rings just gets released to atmosphere. Lots of old engines, industrial engines just have a diverter and a tube or "vent" to the air. It sometimes cauases some condensation and sludge to build up , but would make an interesting test (temporarily) for your setup to eliminate the pcv system, at least that would eliminate it from the equasion.
That will not work.

The vacuum used from the intake removes the blowby before it impregnates the oil.

No using the functioning PCV system will have the oil being diluted with fuel faster which will thin the oil out which again will have the oil burn off faster.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD