Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Rilec
AF Newbie

Magnum vs. Six-Pack

My question is what is the difference between a 440 Magnum and a 440 Six-Pack? And/or any Magnums & Six-Packs in general.
Rilec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Magnum vs. Six-Pack

The biggest difference is the induction, as the Magnum uses a single 4-bbl. (Carter ThermoQuad). The 6-Pack has 3 Holley 2 bbls. The former is much easier to "tune". For some reason, the Holley-equipped 3-duece setups (all of the "Big 3" had them) still had idle and transition curcuits in the end carbs, unlike the Rochester (Olds and Pontiac) versions.

The 6-Pack engine also incuded heavier connecting rods. They're the same ones in the "police package". MOPAR people debate which are better. The standard 440 rod (Magnum) is a great piece, relatively speaking. It's thought the 6-Pack rods are TOO heavy, and not necessary for street engines.

To the best of my knowledge, they used the same camshaft and cylinder heads.

There are some factory "markings" that have led to certain myths and superstitions. One in particular that I've heard too many times, is about the "skull and crossbones" blocks. This is NOT a "good thing". The stamp showing Jolly Roger means there were significant defects in either the casting or the machine work, and it had to "go back for rework". It has nothing to do with WHAT block it is.

In olden times, when these cars were "plentiful", my GTO and I "danced" with many. I can't recall ever being beat by a 6-Pack, but I DO remember one '69 GTX with the Magnum that really embarrassed me. I got him out of the gate, but by the middle of third, he went by in convincing fashion. That caught me offgaurd, as usually, if I was ahead after the 2-3 shift, you were NOT going to run me down! He sure did! (and THEN some...)

I also recall racing a '70 Challenger with 440-6, and he was so angry I beat him, he went back to the Dodge dealer to find out why. I spoke to him a few weeks later. Their answer was: "Your car is fine. You just got beat!"

Enough of the war stories... The Magnum would be an easier engine to deal with, but the 6-Pack sure is impressive to look at! Either can be a formidable engine to put out there. With today's technology, 440 can become a seathing monster, and still be drivable!

FWIW, a Torker (1) and a big Holley will make more power and be more efficient than either of the factory setups.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical