Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
afretired61
AF Newbie

Question 1999 kia sephia broken drive belt

Hi all

I am new to this forum, but I am hoping that I can get some quick help on my car. I have had a squealing belt for some time and yesterday while I was drivin down the road the squealing abruptly stopped and the battery light and brake light indicators illuminated on the dash. Well, I turned around and drove the mile back home, popped the hood and discovered I had a broken belt (inside one closest to engine). Is this the Air conditioning belt?The engine seems to run fine without the belt on....It may be a few days before I can have it replaced - is it bad to run the car without this belt? Is it hard to replace? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dennis
afretired61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: 1999 kia sephia broken drive belt

I looked under my hood to make sure, and it apears the belt closest in to the engine is connected only to the alternator, hence the batery light. wont hurt to drive the car without it, but you'll be stranded soon as the batery goes dead (likely in the middle of the road) and no level of jumping off will help you. If you have a battery charger, I'd charge it and go to the parts store to get a new belt, then put it on there.

Edit: oh, you mentioned how to replace it too... shouldn't be hard. the pulley is fixed, so there should be a bolt in a slot on the alternator that will let it slide when loosened, and a mounting bolt.

*Losen both of those, pull the alternator toward the front and up, slide the belt on.
*Then with a crow bar or seomething else you can pry with (breaking bar would work) pry for tension and tighten the bolts back down. Might help if you have a buddy with you to do the prying.

BUT FIRST

You gotta take off the other belt. This works the same way, just replace the word alternator with power steering pump in the above. the ps pump should be the one closest to the front and top of the engine compartment.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
afretired61
AF Newbie

Thanks Cbeck,

I have another vehicle, so I will get a new belt and hopefully be able to get it on with no problems. I have the car back in driveway, so I guess I am lucky the belt broke only a mile from the house! I wonder why the brake light popped on also?
afretired61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
cbeck
AF Regular

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. (i drew a blank on the break light, still do, unless abs is tied in with it?)
Old 01-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
workingout
AF Newbie

Regarding the lights:
Same thing happened to me except it was the Fuel light and the tank was full. go figure
workingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afretired61
Hi all

I am new to this forum, but I am hoping that I can get some quick help on my car. I have had a squealing belt for some time and yesterday while I was drivin down the road the squealing abruptly stopped and the battery light and brake light indicators illuminated on the dash. Well, I turned around and drove the mile back home, popped the hood and discovered I had a broken belt (inside one closest to engine). Is this the Air conditioning belt?The engine seems to run fine without the belt on....It may be a few days before I can have it replaced - is it bad to run the car without this belt? Is it hard to replace? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dennis
Brake light comes on all Kias when the charging system shuts down.

THe alternator belt is easy to change. The power steering belt you must remove, is not.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
MikeHartwig
AF Newbie

I was just driving home tonight, I hear the belt squeeling, and then a sudden clank. Sqeeling went away. Got a bit further down the road, the battery light went on, the fuel light when on when i had half a tank still, the airbag light went on, and it started to overheat.

I have not looked @ it yet, because it is still dark out, but it sounds like the same symptoms. What is a good price for a new belt?
MikeHartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
workingout
AF Newbie

cheap is $9

Top of the line $18

My Johnston Rod got caught in the Pittman Arm
workingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
MikeHartwig
AF Newbie

ok. so i had the belt replaced by kia, and they charged the battery. did not hear squeel noises, until just now. Guy said I also need a new valve cover gasket. Is it possible for oil to leak onto the alternator belt from the valve cover causing it to slip?
MikeHartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
derb
AF Newbie

doubt it is oil from valve cover. sounds like bearings may be going in alt.had same prob in 96 i have.replaced alt,then belt promblems stoped. not saying oil on belt impossible but not likely. good car but never likes cheaper of fix. if it is the bearings ,at fist they tend to act up when car is hot and alt is under load. this cause more resistance. hope you have good luck.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
tboh
AF Newbie

cbeck

I sent you a private message but don't know it I did it right. I have a similar issue with my 2000 Kia and could use some advice. Are you currently online here at AF?
tboh is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia