Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
colorado69
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1998 Ram 1500 Fails To Start

In October My 1998 Ram 4X4 died and would not start. The repair shop replaced the fuel pump and the vehicle ran ok. This morning I went to start the truck and it turned over but would not start. The vehicle has always strarted up easily except when the fuel pump went out. Does any one have a suggestion on what to look for. The pump replacement was over $500. I need some suggestion here from those in the know.
colorado69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
sandman96
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Ram 1500 Fails To Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado69
In October My 1998 Ram 4X4 died and would not start. The repair shop replaced the fuel pump and the vehicle ran ok. This morning I went to start the truck and it turned over but would not start. The vehicle has always strarted up easily except when the fuel pump went out. Does any one have a suggestion on what to look for. The pump replacement was over $500. I need some suggestion here from those in the know.
If it's the fuel pump again it should be covered under warranty, I think they have a 2 year warranty on them.
sandman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Have you got spark to 2 or more plugs?
What is the fuel pressure reading?
Can you hear the fuel pump run?
MT
Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
borninabarn
AF Regular

Quote:
Just for the heck of it find the fuel pump relay replace it with another one should be a few in there the same
borninabarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
colorado69
AF Newbie

1998 Ram 1500 Fails to Start

After not being able to start the 98 Ram a fellow employee suggested we bring it inside and warm it up. We put it in a heated aircraft hangar for about 2 hours. It started fine and ran like a clock. I drove it for all day and started it several times and each time the start was instant and smooth. Then I left it over night in the cold and did not attempt a start till later in the day. Again it failed to start. One more time into a heated area. This time I attempted a start after 1 hour in a heated structure and once again it started fine.

I drove over to a mechanic and he said that I would have to duplicate the problem buy letting it set for a day or two in the cold.

He did suggest it might be the cam sensor in the distributer, the coil, or the crank sensor. He seem to think that one of the mentioned items might be malfuctioning in the cold.

Any words of wisdom on these developments.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
colorado69
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1998 Ram 1500 Fails To Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninabarn
Just for the heck of it find the fuel pump relay replace it with another one should be a few in there the same
Did that. The AC relay is the same. I switched them. but nothing changed.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
colorado69
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1998 Ram 1500 Fails To Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
Have you got spark to 2 or more plugs?
What is the fuel pressure reading?
Can you hear the fuel pump run?
MT
Yes, I can hear the fuel pump running. It seems to be cold wx related. See my new post for the explanation.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Well if it has good spark at 2 or more plugs ther is not anything bad on ign system.
Check that fuel pressure even if pump runs it can be low.
If fuel pressure is good then check for injector pulse.
It is going to take proper testing to find the problem.
MT
Old 12-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
lestro
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Ram 1500 Fails to Start

Quote:
After not being able to start the 98 Ram a fellow employee suggested we bring it inside and warm it up. We put it in a heated aircraft hangar for about 2 hours. It started fine and ran like a clock. I drove it for all day and started it several times and each time the start was instant and smooth. Then I left it over night in the cold and did not attempt a start till later in the day. Again it failed to start. One more time into a heated area. This time I attempted a start after 1 hour in a heated structure and once again it started fine.

I drove over to a mechanic and he said that I would have to duplicate the problem buy letting it set for a day or two in the cold.

He did suggest it might be the cam sensor in the distributer, the coil, or the crank sensor. He seem to think that one of the mentioned items might be malfuctioning in the cold.

Any words of wisdom on these developments.
how cold is it there? think you might have a little moisture in your gasoline that's freezing in the gas line if it's below freezing? if it's been below freezing, warm it up and try a couple cans of heet or other products in it. worth a try, good luck
lestro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10