Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Ando140
AF Newbie

'96 Tacoma 4x4 Parking Brake Problem

The problem started when I noticed the brake light on my dash would stay on when I released the brake. I had to jiggle the handle to make it go off. Eventually this no longer worked, so I ignored it, figureing it was just the handle. One day when I got home from work I noticed the smell that hot brakes give off. My left rear wheel was very hot, the drum was too hot to touch. We figured out that the brake was not releasing completely, so I would have to reach back behind the left rear wheel and manually push the lever (or whatever its called) the rest of the way to fully release the brake (the cable had slack, the spring just wouldn't pull it all the way back). Then winter came and the rear brake froze, I couldn't move the truck. I had to release the brake then get a hammer, it took quite a beating before it would finally release. After going through this a couple times I just stopped using the brake. There is a small tear in a boot that the lever goes into and I've sprayed a lot of WD-40 and grease in there, but nothing has worked. I think the part is rusted corroded and needs to be replaced. The problem is, I don't know what the part would be called, or where to find it. Anyone know? I'm also including a picture.
Thanks in advance.
Ando140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: '96 Tacoma 4x4 Parking Brake Problem

The lever is the bellcrank. Inside the bellcrank boot is the bellcrank bracket which is the pivot point for the bellcrank. The other end of the bellcrank pulls on a short cable that pulls on the parking brake lever. Your problem with sticking lies in either the bellcrank, the bellcrank bracket, or the parking brake lever. I suggest you dissassemble the brakes and see where the problem is before you do anything more. It might be that you can clean and lube whatever is the problem. Clean them with brake cleaner and lubricate them with high-temperature brake grease. You can take off rust with a wire brush.

Just for giggles, I would clean and lube all the friction points in the brakes while you are in there. Be careful not to contaminate the brake linings with anything.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Ando140
AF Newbie

I'll give that a try next chance I get. Thanks for the help!
Ando140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:19 AM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: '96 Tacoma 4x4 Parking Brake Problem

You're welcome.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma