Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
'03DC3.4TRD4X4
AF Enthusiast

The best spray-in liner?

Who has the best spray in liner. I am leaning toward the Rhino since I know 2 people with it and they have had good luck with it. What about colors. How hard is it to maintain a color as opposed to black or grey. also will I get a better deal on my double cab since the bed is much smaller. Also how thick to get it sprayed?
'03DC3.4TRD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
masterfong
AF Newbie

Re: The best spray-in liner?

The two most popular are Rhino lining and Line-X. I have Line-X myself. It's about 1/8" thick and I've dragged a 400 pound sega palm tree across it with no scars. Colors for Line-X are fade resistent with the UV coating. No maintenance is required. A power sprayer is all that's needed to clean it off. Discoloration may occur with caustic chemicals. I've seen it happen with prolonged exposure to battery acid.

Rhino lining can be sprayed up to 1/4" thick. I've had no problems with my 1/8" but thicker is better. Your concern would be what kind of accessories might not fit 'cuz of the extra thickness, such as tonneaus and camper shells.

As for pricing, the bulk of the time and work is in masking off the truck. The spray process itself is less significant. I got no discounts on my double cab but it's worth a try. Good luck.
masterfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
weezey2u
AF Newbie

Rhino will always be thicker then any other liner because it needs the thickness for strength Line X is similar to paint that is why it is thiner but it dose tend to chip like paint. I have sprayed rhino's for about three years and seen all sprayed on liners and over time they will all fade to some degree but with rhino they have a product called Rhino shine witch restores the color when it starts to fade and it just brushes on and your back to new
weezey2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #4
William L. Sanio
AF Newbie

I have a Line-X... Had one in my Dodge too. These things are invincible and nicer than most bolt-ins for the simple reason that nothing much SLIPS on them.

Bill
William L. Sanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:46 AM   #5
'03DC3.4TRD4X4
AF Enthusiast

Wheezy,
Great info, thanks. Spraying for 3 years! That makes your opinion very valuable to me. I had a sample of the Rhino about 1/8" thick and I tore it in half with my bare hands. This made me think the product sucked. But after reading your post I am changing my mind. A truck bed is never going to duplicate the tearing action on a liner and a full 1/4 inch will be much stronger. I also think the "cushion" effect you get with the Rhino would be desireable over the Line-x since the line-x is much more rigid.
'03DC3.4TRD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
rat-chef
AF Newbie

Thumbs up rhino lining...good stuff

i have had it a while now and it holds up pretty good, 2 years of abuse, even a few dents in my bed. it sticks to the dents just as well. have thrown several loads of fire wood in there! has not come up yet.
rat-chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:18 AM   #7
redtoy92
AF Regular

line-x is the best! standard is 1/8inchs think. color won't fade much at all. red
redtoy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
mattnew14
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mattnew14
line-x is tough

i have had my tacoma for over a year and it has a line-x liner, i have put my four wheeler, dead deer, thrown god knows what in t the back, metal scraps, shovels, and almost the kitchen sink! Mine has not faded or even thought about chipping. I prefer line-x but i have seen lots of good rhino's too. But i have seen more rhino's chip than i have line-x.After having this one, i will be a line-x in every truck i ever have.
mattnew14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:39 PM   #9
tacolover
AF Newbie

i've had a rhino lining for about two years in my taco. i use it frequently. only a few very small chips on the tailgate, but immaculate otherwise. i can't base any judgement on the line-x myself, but i would have to say thicker is definitely better. i have seen more faded line-x liners though.
tacolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #10
fwdsucks
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fwdsucks

i have rhino lining that i just got a few months ago, and i love it so far... i know someone with line-x that loves their liner too... probably doesnt matter too much, so maybe just go with the cheaper of the two?...
fwdsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
dfskinner
AF Regular

Only problem I can think of, is you'll need to carry a blanket when you and the Girl want to take a little together time in the back, other than that line-x is the way I went.

Oh yea, rat-chef, you better send a search party in to look for those loads of fire wood that still hasn't come up yet.

Just joking.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 AM   #12
ebes
AF Newbie

i have heard both good things from rhino and line-x, i am still debating on which one to get, i am also thinking of getting an extang tuff tonno III cover for the winter, and my problem is on whether to get over or under the rail spray on liner, if i go under the rail the tonneau cover will fit but in time the metal frame can stratch and possiblily rust the rail so i heard, if i go over the rail, the rail will be fine but the tonneau cover might not fit properly? ANY ADVICE WILL HELP.
ebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #13
MARSH_HUNTR
AF Newbie

I have seen a few really bad rhino liners and never seen a bad line-x, I have line-x in my truck and boat and I love it
MARSH_HUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #14
EA6BMECH
AF Newbie

I had a Speedy Liner in my Chevy for 2 years color matched for $385 and didn't fade at all. Rhino looks like crap after about a year and I think it cost more. IMO
EA6BMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
tacolover
AF Newbie

Holy 3 year old post Batman! go to ttora.com This forum is lame when it comes to Tacomas