Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
Pikachoo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pikachoo
Question 600 cc speed question.

A friend of mine has a ?99? suzuki ?gsx? 600. He is one of those guys that always has a story to top the one that you just told. Well, he swears up and down that his bike does 171 mph. The guy weighs about 180lb. Will a 600cc bike really go that fast?

Cruising a Z24 right now, But I've got plans....

http://www.lingenfelter.com/lpe%20-%208%20sec%20Vette.mov
Pikachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:02 AM   #2
Kennedy200
AF Enthusiast

cough cough *bull$hit* cough cough

Unless he is running NOS or a turbo, there is no way a 600 would see that kind of speed. (Unless its dropped out of an airplane)
Kennedy200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:06 AM   #3
Kennedy200
AF Enthusiast

On second thought, his speedo may indicate 170. Suzukis are nortorious for having inaccurate speedos (10 to 15% high). Then if the gearing was lowered, the indicated speed will be even higher.

He may think he is going that fast, but he really isnt. Throw a GPS in his trunk and get a true reading.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:36 PM   #4
Steel
AF Fanatic

uh...they dont make turbo's for bikes, cause that is suicidal. They do make NOS for bikes, but that's STILL suicidal. And a turbo OR NOS wouldnt put a bike that fast, it depends on gearing. A bike has plenty quick acceleration, and unless you're itching to beat a mclaren F1, you'll pretty much kick the ass of any car out there without any special mods except for maybe a freer exhasut pipe.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
Kennedy200
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Steel
uh...they dont make turbo's for bikes, cause that is suicidal...

HUH???? check this www.mrturbo.com
Old 04-05-2002, 12:43 AM   #6
Fourmotion
AF Newbie

Speedo can be off as much as 20mph at those speeds. But 170mph for real is unlikely.
Fourmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 01:29 PM   #7
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Just for the shits and giggles of it, I also doubt that he saw any speed like that. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 03:13 PM   #8
Steel
AF Fanatic

ok i was wrong, i retract that statement. But anyone that gets a turbo for their bike is still suicidal.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:43 AM   #9
Hayt
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hayt
Angry Suzuki further BS...

Okay right now I currently ride a GS 500 Suzuki, and while the bike is fairly decent I have a few beefs with Suzuki in general... First the damned thing burns way to much oil for its own good, compaired to my friends CBR 600 my thing runs on oil, and I know thats not exactly fair comparision it still pisses me off... Okay finnaly to the fact of this speed jack... Well my speedometer claimed before I was doing 120 mph on the freeway... Fact of matter is I was probably doing roughly 95 if that much, Ive been ridding this bike for well over a year now and probably push it way harder then I should but hey I got it for that reason to ride the damned thing into the ground, any way the speedomotor in many bikes is messed up so I wouldnt realy go on what a friend says, my friend claims he hit 164 on his CBR 600 f4i which acutlay is more belivable however I suspect that his is even a tad off, my 120 mph is abit iffy due to fact max speed on my bike is reportedly 108 which I dont even think in my case is true... Often ill be on freeway maxing it out and not nearly passing up people as fast as I Should, and me being the dumb monkey I am would know since I got a nice ticket in a 1991 camery doing 111mph on my way to vegas *Grin* so yah.
Hayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 01:38 AM   #10
stratispho
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stratispho
read any major motorcycle mag

read any major motorcycle mag and they'll always have a comment in there about the indicated speed on the speedometer and the actual speed via radar gun....
my cbr600 F4 tops out with a reading of 163 but with a radar at the track it was only 153.... just as some reference... so if that guys says his was doing 174 he needs to have his speedometer checked (if it can be changed, I don't know) but that's way off.
stratispho is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes