Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 02:27 AM   #1
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
tacoma prerunner for off-roading

I can probably afford a '98 or '99 prerunner, 5 speed, probably the 4 cyl., extra cab, ect. This is one of my favority looking trucks, and if i get a truck this might be it. My questions are these: how do they handle for an everyday driver (it will be my only car), and how do they handle off road (i will get a truck in part to off-road more).
-cy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
Marita
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Marita Send a message via Yahoo to Marita
i have the 2000 TRD model and i havent taken it off-raoding YET but hopefully oneday i will...

Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 06:48 AM   #3
§©RÉWßã£
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to §©RÉWß㣠Send a message via AIM to §©RÉWßã£
Re: tacoma prerunner for off-roading

Quote:
Originally posted by -cy-
I can probably afford a '98 or '99 prerunner, 5 speed, probably the 4 cyl., extra cab, ect. This is one of my favority looking trucks, and if i get a truck this might be it. My questions are these: how do they handle for an everyday driver (it will be my only car), and how do they handle off road (i will get a truck in part to off-road more).
As far as street and off road handling it is a great vehicle, but if you do any type of wheelin' you will want the 4x4. I have both the Prerunner and the 4x4 and I know for a fact that the PreRunner is very capable off road, but it is limited at the same time. you WILL out grow the PreRunner and dream of getting a 4x4. do yourself a favor and get it now, instead of kicking yourself in the ass later.

1985 Toyota SR5 XTRAcab 4X4 SFA
2003 Toyota Tuntra T3
2003 Chevy Kodiak 4500

§©RÉWß㣠is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
'03DC3.4TRD4X4
AF Enthusiast

Just a thought...

Buy the prerunner and then as you progress off road, you could eventually convert to 4X4. With the Prerunner this is a fairly simple thing. By the time you swap in a solid front axle and a transfer case, you are at about the price of a comparable 4X4, in price anyway as that same 4X4 would be left behind you off road, unless you are talking about running washes or some such thing.
'03DC3.4TRD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:27 AM   #5
§©RÉWßã£
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to §©RÉWß㣠Send a message via AIM to §©RÉWßã£
Re: Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by '03DC3.4TRD4X4
Buy the prerunner and then as you progress off road, you could eventually convert to 4X4. With the Prerunner this is a fairly simple thing. By the time you swap in a solid front axle and a transfer case, you are at about the price of a comparable 4X4, in price anyway as that same 4X4 would be left behind you off road, unless you are talking about running washes or some such thing.

He posted his question back in Dec. of 2001.. I think he might have decided by now... he he he

1985 Toyota SR5 XTRAcab 4X4 SFA
2003 Toyota Tuntra T3
2003 Chevy Kodiak 4500

§©RÉWß㣠is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
bees
AF Newbie

Re: tacoma prerunner for off-roading

gees!! someone delete this already!!
bees is offline   Reply With Quote