Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notladstyle@yahoo. Send a message via Yahoo to notladstyle@yahoo.
home grown crossovers...

Has anyone ever wired a third order crossover from scratch? What kinda of power can they handle? performance?

It seems my sig pic was too big for some ppl to see on their screens - srry about that
notladstyle@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: home grown crossovers...

I would skip 3rd order and just go straight to 4th. Put a pair of butterworths in series and you have a 4th order linkwitz-riley, I believe it only takes a pair of inductors and caps per filter, so 4 inductors and 4 caps per crossover. The power handling will depend on what size inductors you choose, you can get some that will handle a ton of current but they'll be very large. Check www.partsexpress.com for the individual components, their prices are very reasonable.

If you don't want to take up so much room you can just do a butterworth filter, it's second order but has some nice performance, and only takes one cap and inductor per filter.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #3
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notladstyle@yahoo. Send a message via Yahoo to notladstyle@yahoo.
Re: Re: home grown crossovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
I would skip 3rd order and just go straight to 4th. Put a pair of butterworths in series and you have a 4th order linkwitz-riley, I believe it only takes a pair of inductors and caps per filter, so 4 inductors and 4 caps per crossover. The power handling will depend on what size inductors you choose, you can get some that will handle a ton of current but they'll be very large. Check www.partsexpress.com for the individual components, their prices are very reasonable.

If you don't want to take up so much room you can just do a butterworth filter, it's second order but has some nice performance, and only takes one cap and inductor per filter.
only have 40wrms.... any diagrams available online?

It seems my sig pic was too big for some ppl to see on their screens - srry about that
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

40rms is only about 3 amps with 4ohm components, you'd be able to use just about any inductor out there without a problem. If you get small ones though just be aware that you might have problems if you move to 100+rms per side.

This is the best walkthrough I've found for butterworth filters
http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

For others, you can run a google search and I'm sure you'll come up with something pretty fast.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 04-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Re: Re: home grown crossovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
40rms is only about 3 amps with 4ohm components, you'd be able to use just about any inductor out there without a problem. If you get small ones though just be aware that you might have problems if you move to 100+rms per side.

This is the best walkthrough I've found for butterworth filters
http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

For others, you can run a google search and I'm sure you'll come up with something pretty fast.
sweet muy apreciato

Old 04-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

here you go, this looks like a nice calculator too:
http://www.lalena.com/audio/calculator/xover/

'05 Silver WRX STi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio