Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Gary Williams
AF Newbie

2010 vs 2011

I'm looking to buy a '10 or '11 LTZ. Any real differences assuming similar mileage?
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2010 vs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
I'm looking to buy a '10 or '11 LTZ. Any real differences assuming similar mileage?
do not buy any GM AFM engine . these blow up at about 70-80K miles.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Gary Williams
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
do not buy any GM AFM engine . these blow up at about 70-80K miles.
Translation?

Edit...OK, I googled the AFM problems, and it sounds like that was a problem with the '07-'08 engines.

Last edited by Gary Williams; 11-14-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Translation?

Edit...OK, I googled the AFM problems, and it sounds like that was a problem with the '07-'08 engines.
I guess you did not go to the proper truck forums I do ! there is a very long list of owners being told @70K milles on the 2007-2012 that it is their problem. I suspect this will be a class action lawsuit . what happens is the engine when it shutdown the cylinders causes the pistons to create all sorts of oil damage then the oil consumption surges to 700 miles per qt then the engine stops running . dealer tells them all 4-5K to fix.

here is just one owners report of these great GM engines New to the forum, and was looking for some help. After viewing some other posts I see that this is not a new issue to a lot of folks here. I have a 2010 Silverado that just turned 75600 mi, and about 6months ago noticed it going through Oil quickly. I did take it to my local shop ( not Gm) and had it checked and was told then about some of the 5.3l issues and the AFM issues. Anyway, I did a small test and checked/changed oil every 1000 mi and guesstemated it to be eating about 2-2/12 qts every 2000 miles. Anyway, so going to work is mostly highway miles, and it started the clanking noise. Souded like valves at first. Check engine came on for 1-2 sec, and went off. Minor loss in oil press- ( down to 30-35) , and the sound. got it to my local shop again and cylinders 6&7 where down, pulled the plugs and oil inside. Anyway - the local GM Dealer, does not want to help due to I change my own oil, and can not provide receipts for every oil purchase??? It is a known issue from what I understand, and one that is all to common. Anyone else run into this, and get it covered. I was told that it should be rebuilt or replaced, assuming they verify the diagnosis. But it does sound pretty horrendous for the lifters/valves like they are.

Trying to see if anyone has gotten this taken care of through the powertrain warranty? - As a 2010 with just a hair over 75k should not be shot !!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Gary Williams
AF Newbie

Well, as far as I know, all the engines are AFM in those years.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
the 5.3L engine is what is reported as the defective AFM engine. what some do is buy a PCM programer to kill the AFM. this means you always stay in V8 mode at all times and therefore avoid the internal engine damage. this is with a new vehicle no miles.

buying a used AFM is not too smart. many have done this then find out that it will cost 4K to fix and this is a cost that is too high to handle also NO GUARANTEES !!!

the selling of these may be from an owner unloading the vehicle due to the oil usage, which is the being of the end of these engines.

remember GM says using 1 qt every 1000 miles is normal . this means they will not work it. this is why they can delay the engine work because GM knows that , this is a very big loss for them. the engine oil use is a rapid surge. most find out when the oil level light comes on .

my non AFM 5.3L runs 7500 miles on mobil 1 and uses 1/2 qt ...155K miles. original owner.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

GM had the same problem 20 years ago with the Cadillac.
Google Cadillac HT-4100 engine

Last edited by rhandwor; 11-17-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: More information
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
GM had the same problem 20 years ago with the Cadillac.
I remember that caddy engine well. those vehicles could be had for little cost.. a big disaster for the GM top tier vehicle.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
if you enjoy others in pain go here ,,,,, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/thr...oblems.112629/
Old 11-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Gary Williams
AF Newbie

If this is such a big problem, why are there no stickies on any of these forums? I went back 6 pages on this forum and couldn't find any posts about it. I see a lot of used ones with well over 100k miles, so someone is doing something right.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your advice and you seem to have a great knowledge of GM products.

I guess I'll try and find a low mileage truck and use a good oil in it.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
If this is such a big problem, why are there no stickies on any of these forums? I went back 6 pages on this forum and couldn't find any posts about it. I see a lot of used ones with well over 100k miles, so someone is doing something right.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your advice and you seem to have a great knowledge of GM products.

I guess I'll try and find a low mileage truck and use a good oil in it.
I would buy warranty that does cover these type defects. also if with the AFM buy the Diablo PCM programer. this is I believe the T1000 model. check out the product and the diablo forums. a family member bought this for his dodge to tweek the PCM to gain on power etc.. I downloaded the new program to alter the OEM pcm and this works quite well. this will work on the vehicles the product lists. when you update this programer you can change all the listed vehicles one at a time but only one at a time. so I can program my silverado with this but first the dodge PCM has to have the OEM program put back to original. then I can install the changes to my vehicle . the programing is a 1.6 GB download with all the programs for many vehicles but mostly newer vehicles 2000 plus types.

just remember the oil consumption is what happens first. so if you see this , you know the end is near ....

post back what you buy after you have run it a few K miles ...

also on the 1500 models the front end struts are weak so you may need new springs and struts.. 2007 on up..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado