Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #46
mstngcobrasvt98
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mstngcobrasvt98 Send a message via Yahoo to mstngcobrasvt98
Re: ****2004 AFMOTY Contest Is On !!****

Well, its that time again. I cant believe it. I can't wait to see what some of you have been hiding or building. As for me, I'll try my best again, too bad my S2K isn't done yet. Good luck to everyone.
Another go at it:
2 Fast 2 Furious Skyline.. Pt. 2
mstngcobrasvt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:18 PM   #47
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

I'll donate something as usual
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #48
AF Regular

I'm sort of busting my rear to finish something by NNL West, January 31, but now I have to move even faster.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:19 AM   #49
Bloodhound
AF Enthusiast

I wonder which model to enter? I've only built one this year I think, but I have a few on the way...
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 PM   #50
1986Z28
Has a Camaro

Send a message via MSN to 1986Z28
id love to enter my vette in this but i dont think im going to be good enough to compete with you guys and chances are it wont even be finished by then

1986 Z28, 400ci SBC, Twin borg warner billet S467 turbos, Reid case powerglide, Moser 9". Holley EFI, Boost Leash. 950RWHP on pump gas, 1200rwhp on race gas (22 psi)

Best ET 1/4: 8.35 @ 170mph (275 drag radial)
Best ET 1/8: 5.44 @ 132mph (275 drag radial)
Best 60': 1.31 on the back tires (275 drag radial)

AF User Rules/Guidelines

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html
1986Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:33 PM   #51
Samurai75007
AF Enthusiast

Aww crud I wont have enough time, no airbrush... arrr anyway actually not finishing one model since I joined this site I will be saving up for an air brush and a pump... Woot although I plan on some umm shale we call it full carbon cars? I will post more when I get all my stuff... umm think Enzo, Carrera GT, Murciélago, and Gallardo
Samurai75007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #52
Bloodhound
AF Enthusiast

blownalcoholboy, don't worry, I entered my mustang last year and it received a fair amount of votes even though it was only slightly detailed and basically all it had going for it was some nice paint. All I can say is it doesn't have to be a huge project to take votes, just something simple.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #53
tazdev
I'm still here

Would my R32 1:12TH scale fit into this judging criteria as it was finished this year?????
Old 11-07-2004, 03:11 AM   #54
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
I'll hopefully get something turned in.

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Honoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:20 AM   #55
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man

Taz...yes.

Remember...it dont matter how good or bad your model is you want to enter....its about being part of the contest!!

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:36 AM   #56
Zturbo
AF Regular

"progress thread" allowed or not?
Zturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #57
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Re: Re: ****2004 AFMOTY Contest Is On !!****

Quote:
Originally Posted by primera man
Remember...it dont matter how good or bad your model is you want to enter....its about being part of the contest!!
P-man is right on the money! Participation is the key to making better models. My models made major improvements once I started competing and getting feedback from the judges. If you don't win, ask for pointers. Most contests, live or online, are judged by builders with a lot of experience and that knowledge is there for the asking. Competition isn't my main reason for building, I do it as a creative outlet and it allows me to challenge myself. Competition, to me, is simply a means of getting more knowledge and inspiration while getting the occassional complement from others in the hobby who admire my work.
If you want to get serious about competing here are a few pointers given to me by master builders over the years who have tons of trophy hardware on their shelves.
1- Colors - Red, Blue, Yellow, or Black are the best colors on a table
2- Subject - Build what you love, it will be better if you're passionate about the car.
3- Play to the crowd - Who's judging the contest? Are they older guys who prefer '32 Fords, or kids who like Hondas? Know your audience!
4- Cleanliness is key - It doesn't matter how much time, sweat, or money goes into a car if the end result is sloppy. Clean paint lines, crisp details, and NO DUST make a huge difference.
5- Presence - This is big! The car just has to look "right" at first glance. If the car is either too high or low, or wheels are cocked, or 3-wheeling, or anything wrong strikes you immediately, you lose....
6- You cannot buy trophies - The point being, if you spend $200.00 on detail parts for a car those details will absolutely kill you if the execution is wrong, sloppy, or out-of-scale.
7- Be willing to fail - This is as true in modeling as it is in life. My first models built after returning to the hobby were good, but not contest quality. I didn't even place in my first 6 contests, but I did learn!
8- Have fun - Don't ever let the pressure of competition ruin your hobby. It happens to far too many good builders and I am just coming back after a 2 year break. Not from competition, but building professionally killed my interest off. I'll never sell a model again!
9- Do not get bummed - At the GSL in 2001 a modeler came out of nowhere with a fantastic scratchbuilt Duesenberg and swept the show! This pissed-off a lot of "big-name" builders as he had dramatically raised the bar for competition. The whining was amazing and many said they were done with competing. They forgot lesson 8, but they'll be back!
10- Be willing to accept criticism - Don't get pissed if someone says something negative about your build, it's a learning tool. Sometimes the delivery may be rough (artists aren't always socially polished) but if they have good advice, take it! If they are just hatin', they are jealous and not worth listening to!
I'll put my soapbox away now...
Old 11-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #58
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

I remember that Duesenburg. Guy learned a lot of his techniques from model car god Gerald Wingrove.

Hell, I might toss a few of mine into the competition just for ghits and shiggles. Always a fun time.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #59
snk33y

Holy crap! is it that time of year again? doesnt seem that long ago, where has the year gone, im sure that its going to be another cracking comp! better get off my butt and build something.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:43 PM   #60
RyanGiorgio
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RyanGiorgio Send a message via MSN to RyanGiorgio
Wow, seemed just like yesterday. Just stopping in to say hi to all, and that I'm really impressed with the work I'm seeing in this forum nowadays. Peace.

~Ryan

05' Civic Si - Tokico D-Specs/Progress Springs/Progress Rear Sway/CorSport Endlinks/Ingalls Torque Dampner/Energy Suspension Motor Mounts/Falken Ziex/HFP Spoiler/RSX Rims
RyanGiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling