Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
NOBRA14
AF Newbie

91 Accord Oxidation

Just bought used 91 Honda Accord, great body but heavy oxidation. Car is white and has 0 shine...
Any ideas.
Thanks
NOBRA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
f1guy68
AF Regular

Re: 91 Accord Oxidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBRA14
Just bought used 91 Honda Accord, great body but heavy oxidation. Car is white and has 0 shine...
Any ideas.
Thanks
In my experience..heavy oxidation usually requires a high speed rotary and compound to cut through the oxidization and get back down to the paint and polish it back to a shine!

I could reccomend this, short of not knowing what you have to work with?

How about trying a few of these products all available to the consumer at most auto supply stores:

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax - It's a cleaner and a wax in one! Removes mild oxidization and leaves a nice shine! You may need a couple of applications. Apply with a good terry towel for extra bite and remove with a clean terry towel as well!

Meguiar's Color X - This is Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on Steroids...lol It has more of a chemical nature to cut through! Apply the same as the regular Cleaner Wax. Again..you may need a couple of applications.

I really don't think that this is the fix, but I wanted to offer something that might??? help you get started!

In my mind..you will need a machine and some compound/polish!

Maybe post a picture for me??

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
CrobarCars
AF Newbie

A ColorX HOW TO!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone owes it to themselves to check this out!
Please check out the 1986 Ford Bronco Extreme Makeover using ColorX by HAND!
All of us can learn from these techniques.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...s=&threadid=88

Now that you pschyed you can do this:

You may want to consider expanding this over many day/weeks. Exhaustion and very tired arms will really hurt if not prepared.

I agree ColorX is ,the best available product you can find in the local stores, to use by hand. Also consider using ScratchX...another Meguiar's product if you wouldlike to remove some of the larger swirls by hand....again much strentgh and force must be administered toachieve these results. Below are some link as to the HOW of the process.

I believe you can get good results however, your arms will be extremly fatigued. Do you have someone to assist you and you can tag team the problem, by shifting the work load about every 15 mins. This will curtail the eventual fatigue at least for a while.

Here is a link to a '93 RED HONDA done by hand by Meguiar's own Mike Phillips. He is a world Class Professional Detailer, however, after attending a few classes and having the opportunity to be invited to work on some COrvettes at the meguiar's shop, anyone can accomplish this level of work. WHich is what he is all about. Remember, Technique over the product used is what seperates a mediocre job from an exceptional one. Having said that, having the correct product is as important than technique. My point being there are many very good products which perform the same function, choosing one of those over another will not make your work better. Choosing a correct product over an inferior one will make a big difference.

Enjoy this article. I hope this is not taboo here, however this is very insightful:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...?threadid=3196

Page three has some dramatic photos.....

Now here is how to use ScratchX - for removing defects by hand ( a great product to use by hand for this exact problem....Lots of digging in and lots of arm pressure....It isn't easy, however, your result will be worth your efforts.)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...?threadid=1516
CrobarCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
f1guy68
AF Regular

Great Info Crobar,

With heavy oxidation on a white car..info as well as strong muscles will be required!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Re: Re: 91 Accord Oxidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrobarCars
Enjoy this article. I hope this is not taboo here, however this is very insightful:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...?threadid=3196

Page three has some dramatic photos.....
Considering the topic at hand I do not think its taboo linking to another forum.

I swear my garage is going to look like an automobile art gallery with all these before and after pictures I place on the wall to motivate me to get the engine area that nice looking.

Those after shots are, wow.

Question: In one of the pics. it mentions water stains. How does that come about? Is it cause the water doesn't run off and just sits there?

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
f1guy68
AF Regular

Hey TS,

It's good to know that linking to a site relative to the topic is fine! It helps me add a scoreboard to the advise that myself ot Crobar, or anyone else for that matter would have to offer.

Yes..that was an amazing transformation on the Civic.

Water Stains:

They can be a real PITA! They are caused by standing water spots that have been etched into the paint due to sun coming out and drying them rapidly!

Consider the beads of water to be like mini magnifying glasses that increases the suns energies and bakes them right into the paint. And with the pollution in rainfall these days...YIKES...makes them even worse!

I have had cars with water spots so bad, that the only option would have been wet sanding.

But as shown in the link, they can be dealt with if they are not yet at their worst case scenario!

Here's some pictures to demonstrate water spots/stains and oxidization on a red BMW I did! It was not badly oxidized but just getting to that "chalky paint" point! But the trunk was stained badly! I did the best I could and it came out ok! Just agressivly polished the trunk and waxed it!

Trunk Before

Trunk After (Not Perfect but much better)

Car Before

Car After

Old 10-16-2004, 09:54 PM   #7
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Re: Re: 91 Accord Oxidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1guy68
Hey TS,

It's good to know that linking to a site relative to the topic is fine! It helps me add a scoreboard to the advise that myself ot Crobar, or anyone else for that matter would have to offer.
Hey, its a vbulletin site and we are all family. See my PM.

Okay usually I can tell the before and after shots, but on the last two, either I can't tell the difference or my monitor is failing on me.

TS out

Update:
Never mind I do see a difference, I just had the window on the other monitor (which is failing in colors).

Old 10-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #8
f1guy68
AF Regular

TS,

Quote:
Okay usually I can tell the before and after shots, but on the last two, either I can't tell the difference or my monitor is failing on me.
Come On Man...There are no people in the second after shot....hahahahahaha

No really....can't see the difference??? Hmmmm! Look at some of the things I point out and see if it brings it home for you....

I'm not insulted at all..no worries, it could very well be your monitor or just subtle differences to you (The untrained eye if you will) compared to my eye that sees the change:

Look at the reflective quality or the depth of the reflection in the two pictures! The depth of the reflections is greater IMO! What I'm saying is that you can see more images in the reflection???

Can you see a difference in the clarity of the paint! The paint seems clearer!

See that the color of the rear quarter panel and door has been corrected to match! The door was painted and did not match the rest of the paint.

I see the overall color being a tad darker as well!

Do you see it now??? Just curious!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Actually I have a two monitor set up at home (as well as work for that matter), but at home one of the monitors is not as sharp as the other and I had the window opened on the one that one which is why i could not tell the difference. But I did update and mention it in my post at the time.

TS out

Old 10-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
f1guy68
AF Regular

Hehehehehe...no prob's!

You need to clean your windows.....lol
Old 10-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
koeb$
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to koeb$

wash. clay. buff. polish. wax. and that will b the best thing u can use on ur oxidation spots..use a pretty thick cut to
electric exhaust cut out
holley 600 cfm carb
340+HP
cam?

97 jetta
white 15" bbs wheels
2 JL 12W3's and 2 JL 500/1 amps (for sale)
koeb$ is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General