Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 03:17 AM   #1
Seamus McRae
AF Regular

Question about Beemax MP4/2B Monaco

G'day all

Question for anyone in the crowd who has the Beemax McLaren as stated in the title. I just received their detail set in the mail from HLJ today & noticed it is missing the famous sponsor decals - odd considering the Monaco GP maintained tobacco sponsorship. And yet the detail set for their '84 British GP kit includes these sponsor decals, which is questionable given the conflicting pics I have found showing the cars with & without 'boro.
Anyone else have the same issue? Fixes?

Cheers

p.s. I haven't measured up the wings across both kits to see if they're similar in size, to see if I can poach the 'boros from the British kit. I also just noticed the Monaco kit is missing the Shell logos for the front wing & nose as well as the tyre template for the sponsor change & its associated decal for the nose. Very, very disappointing Beemax
Seamus McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Question about Beemax MP4/2B Monaco

Unfortunately missing sponsor logo's isn't on Beemax, it's on the owner of the branding. Even the Tamiya re-releases of certain kits (Porsche, Mclaren etc.) are missing Shell logos and such.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Seamus McRae
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray View Post
Unfortunately missing sponsor logo's isn't on Beemax, it's on the owner of the branding. Even the Tamiya re-releases of certain kits (Porsche, Mclaren etc.) are missing Shell logos and such.
Yeah I get that. I could handle the missing Shell & Goodyear decals, since I know the IP of these brands often commands a handsome exchange of $$$, however it is odd that they include Marlboro decals in their detail set for the British GP kit (a race which generally banned tobacco advertising, though there are conflicting pics online) as well as a Michelin template. Why 1 & not the other?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
malscar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus McRae View Post
however it is odd that they include Marlboro decals in their detail set for the British GP kit (a race which generally banned tobacco advertising, though there are conflicting pics online)
Instead of relying on photos online, check the actual video of the Brands Hatch race. No Marlboro on the cars or driver's helmets etc. A quick look shows nothing on the nose and rear wing but looks like black stripes on the side pods. One thing I have not found evidence of other than a random comment on another forum is that they may have had the Tobacco sponsorship on the cars in practice but had to take it off for the race.
malscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
malscar
AF Enthusiast

A bit more research and the comment on the other forum may be correct. This guy on Flikr has shots of practice the day before the race. The McLarens have full sponsorship showing -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philin...57626415804047

Must admit it is weird as the race was sponsored and called the John Player Special British Grand Prix and this was carried on banners on the side of the track yet the Lotus did not carry the sponsorship, just the garlands. Even the champagne spraying photos show JPS stuff.
malscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Seamus McRae
AF Regular

Thumbs up Re: Question about Beemax MP4/2B Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by malscar View Post
A bit more research and the comment on the other forum may be correct. This guy on Flikr has shots of practice the day before the race. The McLarens have full sponsorship showing -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philin...57626415804047

Must admit it is weird as the race was sponsored and called the John Player Special British Grand Prix and this was carried on banners on the side of the track yet the Lotus did not carry the sponsorship, just the garlands. Even the champagne spraying photos show JPS stuff.
Thanks malscar. That site has the very photos I mentioned as being contradictory to what I already have in my F1 books & what I've uncovered online
Old 08-08-2019, 03:08 AM   #7
chris24
AF Regular

I think I read somewhere that the BBC was the problem (regarding the tobacco advertising), not the law at the time.

Maybe a Brit could clarify ?
chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
viperofoz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus McRae View Post
G'day all

. I just received their detail set in the mail from HLJ today & noticed it is missing the famous sponsor decals - odd considering the Monaco GP maintained tobacco sponsorship. And yet the detail set for their '84 British GP kit includes these sponsor decals,
That's interesting,
I just checked both of my sets and neither have the Marlboro decals..... Strange.

Regards, Dan

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports