Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
rockinllazyp
AF Newbie

Question 04 or 05 Diesel excursion???

I am looking to buy a excursion but have heard conflicting ideas or the 6.0L, First I was told to stay away ffrom the 04, but then someone else said they started putting the 6.0 in the late 03's. Any thoughs would be great.
rockinllazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
wafrederick
Banned

Re: 04 or 05 Diesel excursion???

Avoid them both,the 6.0 is a huge POS and the first year 6.0s were a huge POS.Jasper has proved this finding the problems,put in over 30 improvements in the 2003 and 2004 6.0s when they reman them.I have seen the list from the Jasper Rep I know very well.If you hear anyone getting great fuel mileage from a powerstroke,they are completely full of BS and powerstrokes do not get great fuel mileage.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
Avoid them both,the 6.0 is a huge POS and the first year 6.0s were a huge POS.Jasper has proved this finding the problems,put in over 30 improvements in the 2003 and 2004 6.0s when they reman them.I have seen the list from the Jasper Rep I know very well.If you hear anyone getting great fuel mileage from a powerstroke,they are completely full of BS and powerstrokes do not get great fuel mileage.
Funny thing is, i have an 04 that gets 23 mpg city, 505 rear wheel horse and the only thing ive had to do is change the oil. The 6 liter got 129 changes from the 03 model to the 04 model including different oil rails, HP pump fittings, ICP, IPR, EGR cooler. etc. I work on Diesels everyday, and the most common problem that is seen out of a 6.0 is the EGR cooler goes bad. $600 fix and you'll more than likely not have anymore problems. BTW, wafrederick... Check somewhere else besides people that get JUNK to begin with. Dont be scared of a Powerstroke, because people heard from a buddy that knew a guy, who knew a guy that worked at ford for 2 days that they are junk. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
2004-2008 Ford Master Certified Technician
fordtrucksonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

I have seen this list what Jasper does to the 6.0 powerstroke.Plus there is a shop in Montana that makes money doing powerstroke to Cummins conversions to Ford with the powerstrokes.My Uncle Steve had one,blew headgaskets with white smoke and he got rid of it.Plus Ford powerstoke exhausts stink.I know an owner of a Carquest parts store that has a Ford with a powerstroke and gets 8 MPG.It ges by this for fuel mileage: 1,Dodge with the Cummins 2,Chevy/GMC with the Duramax and finally the Ford Powerstroke.Plus Ford is doing away with the powerstroke,making their own Diesel engine next year and should of swithed to Cummins since they own 51% of Cummins.Plus I have seen a bumper sticker which Ford guys would get pissed at and make the Dodge guys happy: I would be cumming than stroking
Old 11-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
big white bufflo
AF Regular

the 6.0 is a very reliable engine if you dont do major mods to it the milage verys from 15 to 19 mile per gallon depending on you foot my feeling is to stay away from the6.4 and there new 6.7 there both junk 15 mpg at best and i was told by a ford engineer the 6.7 is only going to get 5% more mpg over the 6.4 but all an all in my eye the 7.3 is the best motor ford built
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

I know of a repo yard that had one with the powerstroke,one of their tow trucks and it was a POS.Nothing but problems with it,in the shop most of the time and their Chevy with the Duramax still runs.The 6.0 powerstroke does not hold up,a shop did a dyno test on one,stock mode and went through 3 engine blocks,rod through the block.The local Snap On dealer in my area told me this and this is one of his stops is at this place.There was an Excuraion on Extreme 4x4,the owner ditched the powerstroke and replaced with a Cummins which holds up better than the powerstroke.Plus Ford engineers are really dumb,need to design vehicle to be worked on easily when repairs are done.If there is a very hard way to do things,FORD!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Cool Re: 04 or 05 Diesel excursion???

Let me address this and end it here for you guys.
1) The shop in Montana is called De-stroked, Basically the Dodge boys don't like a Dodge truck so they take a ford and put the bull-frog Cummins in it.
2)Your uncle Steve could have spent 2500-3000 bucks and drove the truck till he dies. wanna know how? ARP head studs, black onyx gaskets and an EGR deletion. Simple.
3)Your "Carquest" guy is off the deep end. The only way I've seen a 6.0 get 8 mpg is pulling a 25,000lb trailer with a dirty fuel filter.
4)I would LOVE to know how Powerstroke exhaust stinks? I guess that means all diesels stink? Right? They burn the same fuel. A cylinder wall is a cylinder wall regardless of what motor.
5)You need to check your facts, In 2003 (Introduction on the 6.0L) The Order would actually be Powerstroke (16MPG) Duramax LB7 (14MPG) Cummins (14MPG)
6)Last but not least the Ol' Doing away with powerstoke... Actually Navistar/International Is the only thing out of the picture. Ford kept the "Powerstroke" Badge for 2011, although it is built in-house. And should they have switched to Cummins? Why? They own them, why not make some cash from dodge keeping the rights to use them? haha.

Let me tell you something man, I've blown up and had to re-built more 24v Cummins than youve ever even ridin' in. Keep trying to teach me something I know all about. Don't really know how much more clear I can be, I do this for a living.

Once again... Get your facts straight "wafredrick".

Quote:
I have seen this list what Jasper does to the 6.0 powerstroke.Plus there is a shop in Montana that makes money doing powerstroke to Cummins conversions to Ford with the powerstrokes.My Uncle Steve had one,blew headgaskets with white smoke and he got rid of it.Plus Ford powerstoke exhausts stink.I know an owner of a Carquest parts store that has a Ford with a powerstroke and gets 8 MPG.It ges by this for fuel mileage: 1,Dodge with the Cummins 2,Chevy/GMC with the Duramax and finally the Ford Powerstroke.Plus Ford is doing away with the powerstroke,making their own Diesel engine next year and should of swithed to Cummins since they own 51% of Cummins.Plus I have seen a bumper sticker which Ford guys would get pissed at and make the Dodge guys happy: I would be cumming than stroking
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
wafrederick
Banned

It is full of BS.My father's 2006 Dodge gets 18 after he put on a Banks exhaust system and the cold air kit also from Banks.The Cummins lasts up to a million miles until a rebuild is done.I know a guy that has a 1993 Dodge with the cummins,300,000 miles on it and still runs great.I have heard of someone getting 24 MPG out of a 2004 Dodge.My Uncle Steve's went bad during whne he was on the road when pullling a trailer and the head gaskets blew.Plus the powerstrokes do not hold up in the ambulances,blow up and one had both heads cracked which a guy whom said about this on another message board.The new Diesel is going to be a Scorpian diesel made by Ford.Where I work,have to keep the doors open after running a Ford powerstoke to get rid of the stinky fumes.The newer Cummins and Duramax diesels have no stink from the exhaust fumes.One place has them and do alittle work on them.Plus I would never get inside a Ford E4OD and their electronic transmissions,worst onse to diagnose and I know a transmission shop that can prove this: Bang their heads against the wall work working one.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Listen man, how many times to I have to tell you?

1) His '06 Dodge gets 18 AFTER all the banks? Sounds horrible if you ask me.
2) Find me a million mile Cummins 24v, I want to see it.
3) If you want to compare old to old, DT444 has The Cummins beat 10:1.
4) The new POWERSTROKE is called the scorpian motor. Thats not the name. (Don't believe me, look for yourself - http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/s...#page=Feature3)
5) We have the contract for the northeast state of Georgia emergency vehicle repairs. I don't think you really wanna go there bud.
6)If you wanna compare apples to apples pull a 6.4L Powerstroke in the "shop" and smell it, It wont smell like the older ones, know why? DPF. All new diesels have them. Thats why the Newer Cummins dont "stink."
7) Are you kidding me? E4OD hasn't backed a Diesel since the early 90's. They had a 4R100 in the newer model DT444's, the 5R110 Torqshift, 6R140 Torqshift. Witch I also rebuild and never have had any Issues.

I don't know where you come up with this stuff but I'm telling you, your not right.
Also a little note on the whole MPG thing, If you don't believe what I've said, look it up for yourself. I'm going by factory ratings, not what the guy down the street gets with Banks.

Keep 'em comming, I've got more answers.

Quote:
It is full of BS.My father's 2006 Dodge gets 18 after he put on a Banks exhaust system and the cold air kit also from Banks.The Cummins lasts up to a million miles until a rebuild is done.I know a guy that has a 1993 Dodge with the cummins,300,000 miles on it and still runs great.I have heard of someone getting 24 MPG out of a 2004 Dodge.My Uncle Steve's went bad during whne he was on the road when pullling a trailer and the head gaskets blew.Plus the powerstrokes do not hold up in the ambulances,blow up and one had both heads cracked which a guy whom said about this on another message board.The new Diesel is going to be a Scorpian diesel made by Ford.Where I work,have to keep the doors open after running a Ford powerstoke to get rid of the stinky fumes.The newer Cummins and Duramax diesels have no stink from the exhaust fumes.One place has them and do alittle work on them.Plus I would never get inside a Ford E4OD and their electronic transmissions,worst onse to diagnose and I know a transmission shop that can prove this: Bang their heads against the wall work working one.
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
wafrederick
Banned

I have heard of 6.0s blowing up after mods being done to them,will not hold up with mods done doing lots of damage to the top end.Plus the 6.4s were fire starters and were put on recall on them for this.Z transmission,a transmission shop in Muskegon,Mi hates working on Ford electronic transmissions since they are a huge pain.For example,there is a piston in the E4OD that is huge problem in the valve body.It will float when rebuilding it after tapping it in with a hammer.In the vehicle is another story when running,sticks and shifting problems.Luckily there is an updated one made out of steel since it is a huge problem.Plus most Ford transmissions are one year interchange.Ford loves doing 6 month changesI am right and any any Dodge with the Cummins will out run a Ford with the powerstroke.Years ago,there was a video out of a 1993 or 1994 Dodge 2wd dually with the cummins doing burn outs and donuts also running 8s on the dragstrip.Every modification was done outside and not inside the engine.General with Fords,they do not get fuel mileage and have no resale being very hard to sell.Most used car lots in my area have a hard time selling any Fords
Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Ok well, I'm not going to argue with you over your opinion that is based on nothing but other peoples opinions. Mine have all been based on facts.

Once again, E4OD hasent back a diesel since late 80s early 90s.
and that dodge dually was a 95 model 12v, runs a 13,56 @ 112 mph. Dave donaldson is his name. (Relentlessdiesel.com)
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
wafrederick
Banned

My facts are true and 6.0s are a huge piece of junk.Fords are the worst to sell and are called "fence posts" most of the time.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Ok bud. Whatever you say.. We all know who's facts hold up.

I could just as easily say Cummins 24v's are HUGE pieces of junk... But that would be an opinion.. Do you see the difference?
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
wafrederick
Banned

The cummins is a whole lot better than the powerstoke and last longer.You have not seen the list what Jasper does to the 6.0 for upgrades.Plus Fords are the worst to work on with tons of cuss words following and Ford has it the hard way: If there is a hard way to do things,FORD!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

I think you just made my point for me.. have fun bud try not to "out do" yourself...
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion