Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
timotheus4
AF Newbie

94 supreme? do they suck?

heard 94 supremes are the worst model oldsmobiles. true or false? any reasons?
timotheus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
dhspring
AF Regular

my son has a 94 Cutlass with 95,000 miles, it's a pretty solid car, no complaints really, it uses some oil, but has cold A/C and a good tranny, I don't see any reason to say that 94's are inherently "bad", I see a lot around in Houston, in fact I saw one yesterday that looked like it drove right off the showroom floor, it must have been freshly painted and looked great. That's my 2 cents worth.
dhspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
timotheus4
AF Newbie

Re: 94 supreme? do they suck?

thankya dhspring
timotheus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
nj404
AF Newbie

My '94 has almost 200,000 miles on it and I have put very little money into it over the years. I haven't heard from anyone that this year model is problematic.
nj404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:49 PM   #5
TexanNGeorgia
AF Newbie

Do they suck? Hell, I think mine's cursed. I have a '94 rag top and I love the car, but it's given me nothing but trouble. I have a client with the same car that he bought new and he has all the same problems. The electrical system is especially problematic
TexanNGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

The convertibles are not factory convertibles. They are sent to an outside company for the conversion. The only known issues with all GM w-bodies (Cutlass, GR Prix, Lumina, Regal) is the rear brakes and rear struts. Other than those issues, there are many 150k plus examples with happy owners.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
littlerockdude
AF Newbie

i have a 94 that has 228932 miles on it, besides brakes,tires and a alt. ever now and then, no problems.
littlerockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:19 AM   #8
llst
AF Newbie

Thumbs down 92 takes the prize

I have had to replace/repair the following on our 3.4 in the last 5 years. Some items would be considered normal maintennce however???
Just the other day, I was driving down the road thinking that the windshield and tires were the only good things about the car and now the windshield is cracked.

1. IAC
2. Fuel pump
3. Stater x 2
4. Alternator x 3
5. Intake manifold gasket (fast idle)
6. Water pump
7. Quick connect fitting on heater hose
8. Coil pack controller
9. Power steering pressure hose.
10. Timing belt and all idler pulleys
11. Rear calipers
12. Signal turn switch replaced once and repaired once
13. Front rotors
14. Power window motor
15. Oxygen sensor x 2
16. AC recharge required as cooling is pitiful.
17. Brake pads x 2
18. Instrument panel fuse (5 Amp) x 6, 10 amp x 2 , 15 amp still okay.
19 Power window locks will quite periodically.
20. Horn tends to honk for no reason.
21. LOC comes on the radio occassionally

Larry
llst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
janisrich
AF Newbie

I have a 93 ragtop and I have an electrical gremlin!! I LOVE the car but it is driving me CRAZY!!
janisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
tbs2007
AF Newbie

I have 101,000 on mine, and it's always a first start engine, and it gets damn cold here in NY, -10 is common here in the winter.Alot of little problems, most I can do myself, and I know nothing about cars. I'm constantly refilling the coolant though!
tbs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #11
toeppe85
AF Newbie

i have a 94 cutlass 3.1. not a bad car at all. about to turn 96000 miles, and no major concerns. there are some little things. but nothing too expensive or things that i cant do myself. i did however just replace the alternator. i seem to be having the same problem as the last guy mentioned abot always refilling the coolant though. this really doesnt seem to be effecting anything else though, so i guess its not all that bad. good all around car. living in michigan, it gets pretty cold, but it always starts right up. i do have it up for sale right now because i just started a new job driving roughly 80 miles and i need something that will get me some better gas mileage, not that the cutlass is so bad, its just not as good as i would like it to be. if anybody is interested, im asking $3500 OBO nice car, panasonic cd player, power everything, clean inside and out, no rust, but does show the normal wear for an 11 year old car. i bought the car with i think right around 65000 miles on it from the original owner. it was an older couple that originally bought the car. most of the miles i put on it are highway being that i drive 25 miles to school each way and now 35-40 each way to work.
toeppe85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #12
Sconic
AF Newbie

hey i have a 94 with 146k miles and its doing allright. The o2 sensor went and the brake lights stopped working cause of a loose wire but thats about it. Both easy fixes (cept the 02 sesor was wayyyy harder than it should have been). No complaints really.
Sconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #13
dhspring
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeppe85
i have a 94 cutlass 3.1. not a bad car at all. about to turn 96000 miles, and no major concerns. there are some little things. but nothing too expensive or things that i cant do myself. i did however just replace the alternator. i seem to be having the same problem as the last guy mentioned abot always refilling the coolant though. this really doesnt seem to be effecting anything else though, so i guess its not all that bad. good all around car. living in michigan, it gets pretty cold, but it always starts right up. i do have it up for sale right now because i just started a new job driving roughly 80 miles and i need something that will get me some better gas mileage, not that the cutlass is so bad, its just not as good as i would like it to be. if anybody is interested, im asking $3500 OBO nice car, panasonic cd player, power everything, clean inside and out, no rust, but does show the normal wear for an 11 year old car. i bought the car with i think right around 65000 miles on it from the original owner. it was an older couple that originally bought the car. most of the miles i put on it are highway being that i drive 25 miles to school each way and now 35-40 each way to work.

I think you guys with coolant "disappearing" may have intake manifolds leaking which is sucking the coolant into the engine and out the exhaust pipe. This happened on my 95 Olds LSS, I was always losing coolant but never had any leaks. The guys at the shop replace the upper intake manifold gaskets and that took care of it. I guess as long as it's not a problem why worry, it's a matter of money and you don't want to spend it unless you have to.
dhspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
llst
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 94 supreme? do they suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhspring
I think you guys with coolant "disappearing" may have intake manifolds leaking which is sucking the coolant into the engine and out the exhaust pipe. This happened on my 95 Olds LSS, I was always losing coolant but never had any leaks. The guys at the shop replace the upper intake manifold gaskets and that took care of it. I guess as long as it's not a problem why worry, it's a matter of money and you don't want to spend it unless you have to.
My 92 had a thirst for coolant and it turned out to be a quick connect fitting just below the throttle mechanism in the area of the thermostat. The pot metal had corroded and it was dripping from the fitting. It was a $18 part.
llst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:14 AM   #15
Genopsyde
The President

Send a message via AIM to Genopsyde Send a message via Yahoo to Genopsyde

the intake gasket in my 95 3100 went, other than that it was probably the best car i ever had.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series